Weird Noise on new HD 10 XT-P

Okie556

• Member ID:  70
  • Content Count:  80

15 hours ago, Andystoy19 said:

The battery charges right off idle but dosen't reach full charging capacity until 4000 RPM, I doubt that the sound is electrical in nature but it may be the rad fan or the fuel tank vent especially if you were working the engine hard and the fuel tank started to warm up; it has a pressure vent that opens and on my Outlander it sounded like a kid playing with a ballon when you stretch the neck. I never heard it when underway but I heard it often as soon as I would stop or shut off the engine. If it quits when you open the gas tank cover you know that it is the vent, normal but noisy?🤔

I’ll give it shot and let you know. Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to give an update. The noise continued so I opened the gas cap and it relieved the pressure. Noise went away. Drove it for a half hour to an hour and it returned. Loosened the gas cap and it went away again. FWIW the tank was full. Is this heat related? Any advice? 

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

2 hours ago, Mikep123456 said:

Forgot to give an update. The noise continued so I opened the gas cap and it relieved the pressure. Noise went away. Drove it for a half hour to an hour and it returned. Loosened the gas cap and it went away again. FWIW the tank was full. Is this heat related? Any advice? 

Possibly a faulty vent?... maybe the hose has a kink in it? Because I've never had the whistling balloon tank.... lol and FWIW.... I neck Bear... actually rock him a little while I feed him so he burps up air and FILLS TO THE TOP....

Still no whistle...

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

The fuel tank has a vent line that allows air to enter the tank (to prevent fuel starvation) and in our case if the fuel tank heats up and the fuel expands quicker than you are using it the vent will allow pressure to escape through the "vent inlet check valve". If the pressure exceeds 0.36-1.1 psi. the check valve releases the excess pressure. I am sure if you are still in the warranty period Can Am will replace it. I never bothered to replace mine on the Outlander once I found out what it was because it was amusing to watch anyone riding with me start staring at the machine when I completely ignored the noise.😉

Thanks for the information. I’m out of warranty. Is changing the vent tube a difficult task? 

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

The pressure relief valve should be located right on top of the fuel tank cap (that contains the fuel pump sender and other hoses) and is the round valve that is located after the "Y". It is directional and should have a flow arrow on it so pay attention when you remove the old one. It should be as simple as pulling off the two pieces of hose and reinstalling, good luck with the replacement.😉

Edited by Andystoy19
add info

• 3 weeks later...

• Member ID:  428
  • Content Count:  24

On 3/28/2020 at 1:06 PM, Okie556 said:

Love my XT-P so far but have a couple of issues that I wondering if anyone else has had. When ease off the throttle I have a loud annoying vibration rattle at around 13-15 mph. Sounds like metal to metal rattle and I have check all heat Shields on the engine and don't find any loose one. Sounds like it coming from the right side. 

Also, when I come to a stop I hear a whistle sound coming from engine area but then the coolant fan will kick on and it stops. Temp showing 199-201 and no high temp indicator showing on dash. Not sure if the Defender has an audible high temp alarm and this sounds more like a hot radiator whistling sound than an electronic alarm sound.

Only have 13 mIles on it and will be taking to my dealer after we are released from this self quarantine but thought maybe someone has had similar issues.

Did you ever find out what was causing g the rattling?  I have a 2020 lonestar and it's doing the exact same thing.  Nothing is lose in the fro t suspension but definitely gets a harmonic rattle around 13 mph.  Thanks for any input.

• Member ID:  166
  • Content Count:  171

I get the fuel tank vent line noise From time to time when it’s real hot out and I’m having fun playing hard. That’s about the only time I’ve herd it. Good test is if you can make it do it and open the fuel cap at the same time. I bet it will stop. 

• Like 1

• Member ID:  166
  • Content Count:  171

I was thinking the noise meant it was releasing press like it should. 

• 4 weeks later...

• Member ID:  364
  • Content Count:  36

On 6/29/2020 at 7:29 PM, Phillip said:

Did you ever find out what was causing g the rattling?  I have a 2020 lonestar and it's doing the exact same thing.  Nothing is lose in the fro t suspension but definitely gets a harmonic rattle around 13 mph.  Thanks for any input.

No sir the dealer had it 2 weeks and couldn't find out what's causing it. They opened up a discussion with Can Am in case something happens after warranty. 

• Member ID:  142
  • Content Count:  29

Seemingly I was having the same type of noise / rattle / clanking noise, on my 2019 Defender HD10 XT. After numerous calls to different dealerships, one finally provided a solution. I was advised, by a Can-Am dealer, to go to a Ford dealership and get a 4oz bottle of “friction modifier” and dump it into the front differential. After 50-100 miles, haven’t heard it since. 

• Like 1

• Member ID:  428
  • Content Count:  24

On 8/4/2020 at 1:57 PM, Okie556 said:

No sir the dealer had it 2 weeks and couldn't find out what's causing it. They opened up a discussion with Can Am in case something happens after warranty. 

Thanks for follow up.  I guess I need to take mine in so its noted  

• Member ID:  582
  • Content Count:  1

On 8/10/2020 at 7:01 PM, Phillip said:

Thanks for follow up.  I guess I need to take mine in so its noted  

I have the exact same issue on my 2020 Defender Max Lonestar. That friction modifier fix sounds interesting. Let us know if you hear anything from the dealer!

Edited by PeterGreatPlains
Misspelling

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  602
  • Content Count:  19

On 8/4/2020 at 12:57 PM, Okie556 said:

I just bought a new HD10 XT yesterday and mine does the same. I have to go back to the dealer Tuesday to finish some paperwork and will ask them if they know anything. It’s kind of annoying, especially on a new rig. 

Edited by Highly Cool

• Member ID:  600
  • Content Count:  25

I've got a vibration- rattle coming out the frt on mine @ 12-15 mph. It's seems to be coming from the left side...I kinda think it maybe related the frt diff or driveshaft? I've only got about 20 hours on it...been doing it from the time I got it home. I plan to talk to my dealer today.