Weird Noise on new HD 10 XT-P

Okie556

• Member ID:  364
  • Content Count:  36

Love my XT-P so far but have a couple of issues that I wondering if anyone else has had. When ease off the throttle I have a loud annoying vibration rattle at around 13-15 mph. Sounds like metal to metal rattle and I have check all heat Shields on the engine and don't find any loose one. Sounds like it coming from the right side. 

Also, when I come to a stop I hear a whistle sound coming from engine area but then the coolant fan will kick on and it stops. Temp showing 199-201 and no high temp indicator showing on dash. Not sure if the Defender has an audible high temp alarm and this sounds more like a hot radiator whistling sound than an electronic alarm sound.

Only have 13 mIles on it and will be taking to my dealer after we are released from this self quarantine but thought maybe someone has had similar issues.

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

Welcome to the forum. I don't know about the rattling sound, try to put the unit into 4x4 mode and see if it does the same thing?

The thermostat should be fully open at 190F and the fan is set to come on at 205F and turn off at 198F so that puts you into a normal operating range. Check the antifreeze fill bottle and see if the cap is on correctly. There is an overtemp light on your dash and may even be a beeping sound to catch your attention, which I haven't heard yet?

The gas tank is equipped with inlet check valve that lets air into the system as you use fuel and lets air out if the pressure exceeds 1.1 psi. On my outlander quad I get a sound that sounds like letting air out of a balloon when you pinch the neck. If I ride the quad when it is hot out this sound comes on almost as soon as I stop and baffled me for quite a while until I loosened the filler cap and made the connection. I don't know if the Defender is similar but something you can check?

Enjoy your ride.🤔

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

I second the WELCOME!!! I have a '19 HD10 full cab and have had no whistling... While mine did seem a little rough in the lower power range, I never heard any grinding. I bought mine in late Oct. and have over 1000 miles/150 hours on him

19 hours ago, Andystoy19 said:

Welcome to the forum. I don't know about the rattling sound, try to put the unit into 4x4 mode and see if it does the same thing?

The thermostat should be fully open at 190F and the fan is set to come on at 205F and turn off at 198F so that puts you into a normal operating range. Check the antifreeze fill bottle and see if the cap is on correctly. There is an overtemp light on your dash and may even be a beeping sound to catch your attention, which I haven't heard yet?

The gas tank is equipped with inlet check valve that lets air into the system as you use fuel and lets air out if the pressure exceeds 1.1 psi. On my outlander quad I get a sound that sounds like letting air out of a balloon when you pinch the neck. If I ride the quad when it is hot out this sound comes on almost as soon as I stop and baffled me for quite a while until I loosened the filler cap and made the connection. I don't know if the Defender is similar but something you can check?

Enjoy your ride.🤔

Thanks Andy I'll check out the things you mentioned. The sound I'm hearing in relation to the temp does sound exactly like you described, letting the air out of a ballon. 

17 hours ago, A hunt 2 remember said:

I second the WELCOME!!! I have a '19 HD10 full cab and have had no whistling... While mine did seem a little rough in the lower power range, I never heard any grinding. I bought mine in late Oct. and have over 1000 miles/150 hours on him

Thankfully the sound is definitely not a grinding sound. It's just a metal to metal vibration sound like a baffle is loose in the muffler. I'll keep you posted when I get it figured out.

Gotcha... wondering if mine does this and i just dont hear it due to all the sound deafening ive done to the inside of the rig... if it were a baffle in the pipe it would make the sound indefinitely while running. I would think anyway

So despite the stay at home when possible I decided to take my XT-P to my dealer and drop it off so they could figure out what the weird noise is and fix it. Well wouldn't you know, I drove it around the neighborhood and it didn't make a sound. LOL. Dealer said just drive and we have a year warranty so that's what I'm going to do. With only 27 miles it could possibly be the clutch or belt and has to be hot to make the noise. Who knows.

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  70
  • Content Count:  80

I have a whirring, harmonic type sour that comes and goes. This morning it did it again. I thought it went away after I shut off the machine However it started to make the noise again. Almost sounds like the stereo had some interference but I think it comes from somewhere near the engine. I raised the cargo box but couldn’t pinpoint where is coming from. 

36 minutes ago, Mikep123456 said:

I have a whirring, harmonic type sour that comes and goes. This morning it did it again. I thought it went away after I shut off the machine However it started to make the noise again. Almost sounds like the stereo had some interference but I think it comes from somewhere near the engine. I raised the cargo box but couldn’t pinpoint where is coming from. 

Does this happen when you shut your machine down for maybe 2-5 seconds? If that's it, I believe that is just the system shutting down. Draining capacitors and such. Mine does it and I've got nearly 2000 miles on Bear.

Good luck, I hope this is all you are hearing

It started happening after cultipacking a food plot both while it was running and then turned off. Last more than a couple minutes? I was surprised it continued after shut off? 

Thanks 

25 minutes ago, Mikep123456 said:

It started happening after cultipacking a food plot both while it was running and then turned off. Last more than a couple minutes? I was surprised it continued after shut off? 

Thanks 

Hmm... that's an odd one... do you have an aux battery? If so, does it have an electronic switch/isolator?  Maybe you are having issues there?

Nope, but I thought it might be a coming from the radio. I’m also thinking it has something to do with either the radiator fluid Because the fan seems to be on and off when I hear it or Maybe gas flow. It’s really hard to explain the noise. I’m going to open the gas tank cap and see if that leads it. I’ve heard it a couple times before. 

Thanks for the help. 

I think if i remember right.... it has been a couple mods ago.... 😉 but I think my isolator would howl at me when things were low... letting me know it was working... now that I have my electrical allotment figured out.... I don't or haven't had that issue.... the isolator also had a blue light that lit up... maybe you could try it in a dark place and see if it may be an isolator 

29 minutes ago, A hunt 2 remember said:

I think if i remember right.... it has been a couple mods ago.... 😉 but I think my isolator would howl at me when things were low... letting me know it was working... now that I have my electrical allotment figured out.... I don't or haven't had that issue.... the isolator also had a blue light that lit up... maybe you could try it in a dark place and see if it may be an isolator 

Interesting. I’ve wondered of my battery was low. I didn’t realize I ran with my aux lights on today. I wonder if the low speed with lights and stereo going put a drain on the battery. I thought I had been told that you have to run at higher speeds/RPMs for the battery to charge? 

Thanks I’ll look into it. 

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

The battery charges right off idle but dosen't reach full charging capacity until 4000 RPM, I doubt that the sound is electrical in nature but it may be the rad fan or the fuel tank vent especially if you were working the engine hard and the fuel tank started to warm up; it has a pressure vent that opens and on my Outlander it sounded like a kid playing with a ballon when you stretch the neck. I never heard it when underway but I heard it often as soon as I would stop or shut off the engine. If it quits when you open the gas tank cover you know that it is the vent, normal but noisy?🤔