Weird Noise on new HD 10 XT-P

Okie556

• Member ID:  602
  • Content Count:  19

8 hours ago, GB20 said:

I've got a vibration- rattle coming out the frt on mine @ 12-15 mph. It's seems to be coming from the left side...I kinda think it maybe related the frt diff or driveshaft? I've only got about 20 hours on it...been doing it from the time I got it home. I plan to talk to my dealer today.

Please let us know what they say. I just bought mine Saturday and have not been able to ask them about it yet since they are closed on Mondays.  

• Member ID:  600
  • Content Count:  25

7 minutes ago, Highly Cool said:

Please let us know what they say. I just bought mine Saturday and have not been able to ask them about it yet since they are closed on Mondays.  

I'm assuming you have the same noise? Come to find out my dealer is closed on Mondays also..I'm in IL, dealer is across the river in Iowa... 

Yes, same. I am in Southeast Missouri. Got to go there tomorrow for some paperwork, so will press them since I have only about 20 miles on mine. 

Edited by Highly Cool

It maybe a few days on mine, I haven't discussed this issue with the dealer yet. I do have a few other issues also. He had said he would pick it up & drop it back off to me 2.5 hours each way.... With that said no clue when he can pick it up yet? Please keep us posted, I will also...Thanks!

My dealer says his personal Defender also does it and he knows some others that do it too, but not all.  He said it’s some type of harmonic in the roll bar down to the frame.  We are gonna try a couple of things when I take it in for some accessories to be added.  Will advise. 

Have a look here https://www.can-amforum.com/threads/defender-vibration.135847/#post-1213932

This was also just posted, surly something to consider..

• Member ID:  364
  • Content Count:  36

On 8/25/2020 at 7:57 PM, Highly Cool said:

My dealer says his personal Defender also does it and he knows some others that do it too, but not all.  He said it’s some type of harmonic in the roll bar down to the frame.  We are gonna try a couple of things when I take it in for some accessories to be added.  Will advise. 

Sorry I haven't been active on this post but my wife's health got so bad I sold my 2020 XT-P she went down hill a LOT faster than I expected and lost her on July 12th. I'm wanting to buy another Defendef now maybe the XMR version but hesitant because of this noise problem. I can guarantee on mine it was not a harmonic issue. MI e had to be at normal operating temp before it would start and would take a mile or two. It was something to do with the differenials I believe and the oil had to get warm/hot before it would start.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Okie556 said:

Sorry I haven't been active on this post but my wife's health got so bad I sold my 2020 XT-P she went down hill a LOT faster than I expected and lost her on July 12th. I'm wanting to buy another Defendef now maybe the XMR version but hesitant because of this noise problem. I can guarantee on mine it was not a harmonic issue. MI e had to be at normal operating temp before it would start and would take a mile or two. It was something to do with the differenials I believe and the oil had to get warm/hot before it would start.

Sorry for your loss, hope things get better for you.

• Like 2

So sorry to hear. Prayers for you for peace and solace. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

• Member ID:  638
  • Content Count:  1

did anyone ever figure out how to get rid of the rattle?  mine is doing the same thing at 13mph. 

Stay tuned here....mine is back at the dealer now. I hope to hear from them by end of this week. 

• Like 1

Will be waiting anxiously to see if it fixes the issue!

• 2 weeks later...

On 9/15/2020 at 1:49 PM, GB20 said:

Stay tuned here....mine is back at the dealer now. I hope to hear from them by end of this week. 

Any word yet?

Not really...dealer still has it. He said he ordered carrier bearings for it which I'm assuming for the frt diff. Needless to say I'm not happy! I've also got an issue with the motor surging...which their trying to tell me is normal BS!

• Sad 1

I had also read I think one guy said it was the pinion preload, bearing something about issues with the way the diffs were assembled.. incorrectly? I did gear changes on jeeps & trucks for years...so I do have a clue. Anything not right in the diff will bite you soon 

• Like 1