Can-am Defender Brake Squeal

Dan

• Member ID:  41
  • Content Count:  36

After 60 hours on my Can-Am XMR I have started to develop a bad brake squeal on my rear brakes. It sounded so bad I had my mechanic check it out because I swore I had a faulty wheel bearing or needed to use a greaser tool to lube my bearings again.

If you have experienced this it sounds like metal on metal so bad you swear damage is occurring every time it happens. Mine only happened in reverse at about 3-5 mph. The bearings appeared to be just fine upon inspection so my mechanic swears it’s a brake issue.

Apparently this is fairly common with Defenders and Can-Am in general using metallic brake pads. Has anyone experienced this? What did you use to fix it with real results? 

• Member ID:  39
  • Content Count:  54

My cousin and I both experienced it on our hd10 max's.... started at about 20 hours for both of us ... but we live in central Missouri with extreme valleys we run.. so we use our breaks a little heavier than most ... havent messed with it yet just goin to replace with a better brake pad when there ready to be replaced ... if anyone has fixed the squealing I would also love to know what u went with to fix it 

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  5
  • Content Count:  274

I have the same thing that just started at about 30 hours. I mainly ride around my house which is completely flat so I'm not hard on the brakes at all. Sounds like we need to find a better replacement brake pad.

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  1
  • Content Count:  244

My brakes were real noisy after I first purchased it.  I wasn't sure if there was just a ton of dirt/dust locked in or what.  It doesn't seem as bad now, but I did quite a few hard stops to clean 'em.  I've read some good reviews on the Race-Driven set: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brake-Pads-fit-Can-Am-Defender-HD10-2016-2018-Front-and-Rear-by-Race-Driven/352271324095?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member ID:  35
  • Content Count:  7

I just ordered a set for my defender. I will let you know how they work

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  97
  • Content Count:  2

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 9:06 AM, Texason99 said:

I just ordered a set for my defender. I will let you know how they work

Any updates on these?

• Member ID:  35
  • Content Count:  7

the brakes work as they should. I have not had any squeaking so far. I ride in VERY muddy conditions and they are almost ready to be changed again.. 

• 1 year later...

• Member ID:  730
  • Content Count:  1

I stopped by the dealership today to ask about this.  I have less than 50 hours on mine and started noticing it a couple of weeks ago.  Mine is garaged and used mostly to drive around the neighborhood and to the dock in southern Missouri.  I also asked about it lunging forward when I come to a stop, usually in low gear.  Is this a common thing also?

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  242
  • Content Count:  126

I ordered and installed (in minutes) a set of EBC pads from my local shop.  No more squeal.  The stock pads were ok but I suspect Can Am was trying to keep costs down.           -Mark