Buzzing sound on a 2020 defender HD8 with power steering

Bob

Question

• Member ID:  904
  • Content Count:  8

On two different occasions i had a loud buzzing noise I think it comes from the engine department.  Sounds like a buzzer of some sort.  The engine temperature is in the right zone, the lights including the accessory light bars are all off and I heard the sound only two different times that continues until I turnoff the key.  I restart the motor and dont hear the buzzing sound.  I have gas so I am not running out..  The last time I heard the buzz the gas gauge indicated I had one bar of gas left.  After I loaded it on the trailer and got home, the gauge indicated two bars???  Both locations were on a reasonable level ground.

The sound is not a horn but a buzzer sound.

Where is the buzzer located and what is it trying to tell me?

Bob in McKinney

2 answers to this question

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

My guess is the sound may be the pressure relief valve on the gas tank. If the tank gets warm as the fuel is burned the valve has to release pressure and sometimes sounds like a ballon when you stretch the neck. Next time you hear it open the fuel cap on the gas tank and see if it stops immediately, if yes the valve is working just noisey, the valve is located on top of the tank where you unscrew the top to replace the fuel pump. There is a more detailed write up in the builds section.🙂

• Member ID:  1,343
  • Content Count:  2

On 12/1/2021 at 7:06 PM, Bob said:

On two different occasions i had a loud buzzing noise I think it comes from the engine department.  Sounds like a buzzer of some sort.  The engine temperature is in the right zone, the lights including the accessory light bars are all off and I heard the sound only two different times that continues until I turnoff the key.  I restart the motor and dont hear the buzzing sound.  I have gas so I am not running out..  The last time I heard the buzz the gas gauge indicated I had one bar of gas left.  After I loaded it on the trailer and got home, the gauge indicated two bars???  Both locations were on a reasonable level ground.

The sound is not a horn but a buzzer sound.

Where is the buzzer located and what is it trying to tell me?

Bob in McKinney

Bob ,my 2021defender has done this several times. Often wondered what the buzzer sound meant. Next time I will open gas cap and check for pressure. This happens after a long ride and parking in garage. I’ll get back with my info soon.                  Thank you.                  Roger in Tell city