Jump to content

2020 Defender Max Limited did not even out of the shop before the air conditioning failed


Toolboy

Recommended Posts


  • Member ID:  323
  • Content Count:  50
  • Reputation:   11
  • Joined:  01/15/2020
  • Status:  Offline
  • Last Seen:  

Well, my defender max limited was in the shop for the failing voltage regulator, and after being backordered, it was fixed today.  I called to see if the defender was ready and I was told that the air conditioning is not working now.  The compressor kicks on and then immediately shuts off and does not kick on again.  The air conditioning did work 2 months ago when the voltage regulator went out.  I am not sure if one problem led or created the other.  All I know is that the defender has to be sent to an auto dealership to have the Freon changed out to see it that does anything.  I love the defender but my memory of it is fading as I haven't seen it in quite awhile.  Let me know if any other limited owners have a similar problem.  I will post what the problem was when they finally figure it out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Member ID:  471
  • Content Count:  6
  • Reputation:   1
  • Joined:  06/05/2020
  • Status:  Offline
  • Last Seen:  

AC problem! We just bought a 2020 defender limited and have just about 300 miles on it, breaking it in.

We have learned all the different climate control settings and know how to use them. 
we noticed the AC wasn’t cooling  and there is a little yellow triangle blinking in the climate display. We have tried everything and a couple minutes after turning on the AC the  tiny blinking triangle shows up and no cooling.   Called the dealer and they really know why.

the fan runs in  all positions and we now noticed the heat does heat up either. 

anyone have any ideas

.

 

Edited by Dakota
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Member ID:  477
  • Content Count:  8
  • Reputation:   0
  • Joined:  06/07/2020
  • Status:  Offline
  • Last Seen:  

I am having a/c issues on my limited, air runs good for awhile then just turns into vent air and triangle blinks on control screen. Took it back to dealer they said it was low on freon so they added some, checked for leaks and said no leaks. Was low from the factory , took it home tried it out today and same thing again. Please if anyone finds out anything on this issue let me know and I will do the same.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Member ID:  471
  • Content Count:  6
  • Reputation:   1
  • Joined:  06/05/2020
  • Status:  Offline
  • Last Seen:  

5 hours ago, Joe said:

I am having a/c issues on my limited, air runs good for awhile then just turns into vent air and triangle blinks on control screen. Took it back to dealer they said it was low on freon so they added some, checked for leaks and said no leaks. Was low from the factory , took it home tried it out today and same thing again. Please if anyone finds out anything on this issue let me know and I will do the same.

I must have the same problem , my blinking triangle starts in about 2 minutes after I turn the a/c on. Yours was low on Freon , so I bet that is my problem  with only 300 miles on it.  I am a long ways from my dealer so will call them tomorrow and post back what I get told ! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Member ID:  479
  • Content Count:  1
  • Reputation:   0
  • Joined:  06/08/2020
  • Status:  Offline
  • Last Seen:  

I also have a 2020 defender limited max with no ac hasn’t worked since new . My dealer said it was a voltage issue but check Freon level before I brought it in it was empty .i filled it ran for about 30 minutes and empty again . Brought it back to the dealership and they ordered parts which I was told where on back order until august which my dealer said that there was nothing they could do . I called can am and I’m getting the parts o. Friday June 12 the day we are supposed to leave on a 9 day trip with it which I’m guessing it’s not gonna be ready😔🤬. I’ve been trying to get ahold of can am customer service but they will not return my phone calls . Not real happy with dealership or can ams response to this issue I’m guessing when it gets fixed the issue is not gonna go away seems like a bad dosing to me . Also have pictures and video of mine leaking under the dash on the inside where the evaporator coil hooks up to the expansion block let me know if anyone else finds the leak there 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Member ID:  409
  • Content Count:  5
  • Reputation:   1
  • Joined:  04/28/2020
  • Status:  Offline
  • Last Seen:  

On 6/4/2020 at 10:21 PM, Dakota said:

AC problem! We just bought a 2020 defender limited and have just about 300 miles on it, breaking it in.

We have learned all the different climate control settings and know how to use them. 
we noticed the AC wasn’t cooling  and there is a little yellow triangle blinking in the climate display. We have tried everything and a couple minutes after turning on the AC the  tiny blinking triangle shows up and no cooling.   Called the dealer and they really know why.

the fan runs in  all positions and we now noticed the heat does heat up either. 

anyone have any ideas

.
 

 

 

I purchased my 2020 limited in March heat worked good went to use the ac was blinking the triangle . I took it to the dealership and they said that it was working went to get it strapped it down on the trailer and the triangle  was blinking . They said can am said it was a voltage issue to bring it back I brought it to an automotive repair shop and they said it had no refrigerant in it so we added the correct amount and it work for about a half hour and quit working . So I took the dash apart and found where it’s leaking !! I called the dealership and they ordered most of the ac components needed to “ repair it “ and so of the parts I was told where on back order until august . I called can am customer service who moved the date of parts coming to June 12 which is the day we are supposed to leave for a 9 day once a year trip with our new defender max limited and can am won’t return my phone calls to see if they can get the parts on a different shipping option . The parts that I am not sure are gonna actually fix it sounds like your issues are similar to mine I will repost when We see what gets figured out 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Member ID:  409
  • Content Count:  5
  • Reputation:   1
  • Joined:  04/28/2020
  • Status:  Offline
  • Last Seen:  

I’m having the same issues with mine leaks by the evaporator coil u see the dash parts I was told where on back order until august will be here June 12 we will see if it fixes it I’m guessing it won’t . Called can am customer service and they won’t return my calls not very happy with can am or the dealership right now 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639
  • Reputation:   112
  • Joined:  11/22/2019
  • Status:  Offline
  • Last Seen:  

3 hours ago, Limited max said:

I’m having the same issues with mine leaks by the evaporator coil u see the dash parts I was told where on back order until august will be here June 12 we will see if it fixes it I’m guessing it won’t . Called can am customer service and they won’t return my calls not very happy with can am or the dealership right now 

Hate to say it but CanAm SUCKS at customer service... "your first point of contact is your dealer"..... WTF??? I'M A CUSTOMER!!! IT'S NOT CALLED "DEALER SERVICE"

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  687
  • Reputation:   151
  • Joined:  04/24/2019
  • Status:  Offline
  • Last Seen:  

Sorry to hear that a number of you are having problems with the AC, that sounds like a problem with the supplier of the AC parts and possibly at the assembly plant in Mexico. My first impression is that the folks at the assembly plant are not doing any leak checks after the system is charged with freon resulting in leaks that drain your system. Can Am will resolve this issue but I am surprised that they are not stepping up with the parts so that your vehicles can be repaired and back out where you can use them.

I have owned many BRP/Can Am (well over a dozen skidoos and quads) since 1996 (my first Summit) and have had very few problems, mostly the odd recall. All of the issues were resolved at the "dealer level who is the first point of contact". I have to disagree that Can Am service is the first point of contact. For example I don't call GM corporate if I have a problem with my truck, I would take it to the dealer. Since AC is new to the Can am sxs I am not surprised that the dealer may send your unit to an AC shop to troubleshoot because their tech's may not have any experience with AC.

BRP Care probably monitors this forum, as they do others, to see if there are customer complaints about dealer service and occassionally reach out to the customer to have them call directly. If you are unhappy with the dealer service I agree that you should call Can Am Care to try and resolve the complaint but I don't expect they will step in to over ride the dealer very often?🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Member ID:  480
  • Content Count:  5
  • Reputation:   0
  • Joined:  06/08/2020
  • Status:  Offline
  • Last Seen:  

Picked mine up friday put 5 hours on it and AC quit working. I use mine as a work vehicle on a pipeline and its 115 today. Same issue as everyone else is having.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Member ID:  471
  • Content Count:  6
  • Reputation:   1
  • Joined:  06/05/2020
  • Status:  Offline
  • Last Seen:  

Ok on the AC problem some of us are having.  I may have a solution. As I mentioned before I learned all the controls tried ever thing to figure it  out. Being a  very long ways from dealer, I was unable to run it in for service .  
my dealer did research from BRP and it seems like they are having a problem with the AC  sensor that is next to the compressor. Very easy to see when you lift the box. Means I was to far away to come in and have the codes read, they told me to unplug the 2 wire harness that connects to to sensor. The sensor is on the smaller ac pipe,, only one there. Just squeeze  the wire connector to release and pull the wires off!   
once off they told be to put a small jumper wire in the wire connector to bi-pass the sensor.

i did so and started up the defender and turned on the AC , . The AV worked and no blinking triangle. The dealer is mailing me a new sensor to install and is suppose to fix it.   They said BRP thinks they got a bad batch of sensors.
Hope this Info helps you others having troubles. 
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639
  • Reputation:   112
  • Joined:  11/22/2019
  • Status:  Offline
  • Last Seen:  

On 6/8/2020 at 7:45 AM, Andystoy19 said:

Sorry to hear that a number of you are having problems with the AC, that sounds like a problem with the supplier of the AC parts and possibly at the assembly plant in Mexico. My first impression is that the folks at the assembly plant are not doing any leak checks after the system is charged with freon resulting in leaks that drain your system. Can Am will resolve this issue but I am surprised that they are not stepping up with the parts so that your vehicles can be repaired and back out where you can use them.

I have owned many BRP/Can Am (well over a dozen skidoos and quads) since 1996 (my first Summit) and have had very few problems, mostly the odd recall. All of the issues were resolved at the "dealer level who is the first point of contact". I have to disagree that Can Am service is the first point of contact. For example I don't call GM corporate if I have a problem with my truck, I would take it to the dealer. Since AC is new to the Can am sxs I am not surprised that the dealer may send your unit to an AC shop to troubleshoot because their tech's may not have any experience with AC.

BRP Care probably monitors this forum, as they do others, to see if there are customer complaints about dealer service and occassionally reach out to the customer to have them call directly. If you are unhappy with the dealer service I agree that you should call Can Am Care to try and resolve the complaint but I don't expect they will step in to over ride the dealer very often?🙂

Not saying it was. But if the GM statement was for me? I don't just call BRP, they get a call AFTER trying "my first point of contact" but when "your local dealer" is more worried about sales rather than SERVICE..... I get NOWHERE THERE..... over ride a dealer? Hmmm.... So I guess I'm getting that EXACT SERVICE!!! The dealer doesn't do SQUAT!!! So, BRP doesn't want to OVER RIDE that.... what was it I said about BRP customer service???

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Member ID:  487
  • Content Count:  8
  • Reputation:   2
  • Joined:  06/13/2020
  • Status:  Offline
  • Last Seen:  

I just bought my new defender and the AC is not working either I have less than 59 Kms on it. It looks like this is a problem with a lot of these. Does anyone know if BRP has the solution yet. I seen someone was told to jumper the sensor. Did anyone do this, did this work, did it cause any other issues. This is my first BRP product and I am getting a bit worried if I am having issues already. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Member ID:  488
  • Content Count:  2
  • Reputation:   0
  • Joined:  06/14/2020
  • Status:  Offline
  • Last Seen:  

Just bought the defender max limited three weeks ago, first time trying the AC out and got the blinking triangle, no are at all. Less than 200 miles on it. So very frustrating, nearest dealer is 250 miles away. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639
  • Reputation:   112
  • Joined:  11/22/2019
  • Status:  Offline
  • Last Seen:  

13 hours ago, Rayden said:

I just bought my new defender and the AC is not working either I have less than 59 Kms on it. It looks like this is a problem with a lot of these. Does anyone know if BRP has the solution yet. I seen someone was told to jumper the sensor. Did anyone do this, did this work, did it cause any other issues. This is my first BRP product and I am getting a bit worried if I am having issues already. 

Well.... CanAm has been a leader in the industry for years now. They also are quite the innovator of new standards in the industry... With that being said.... there is a LEARNING CURVE... the addition of the AC in a SxS is a new thing. These units (I would think... I don't own one) are different than an automotive AC which put a HUGE LOAD on the cars power. Sure they should have tested and proven their reliability BEFORE they  sent them out... but that clearly did not happen...

Good luck

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...