2020 Defender Max Limited did not even out of the shop before the air conditioning failed

Toolboy

• Member ID:  409
  • Content Count:  5

Finally got my can am in to the dealership to get the ac leak issue dealt with and they called me today and said they didn’t get all the parts they need and now it’s tore apart in the shop and no update when the parts are gonna be in. This is so frustrating that you spend all that money for nice things and once you pay for it can am or the dealership doesn’t know who you are . NOT impressed can am 

• Like 1

• Member ID:  516
  • Content Count:  1

My 2020 Can-Am defender limited has been working great for the past 200 miles. Then out of nowhere today my AC turns on and then kicks off,no fan,no nothing??When I shut the vehicle off and start it back up works fine ! (about one minute then turns off again)🤬

• Member ID:  477
  • Content Count:  8

How is everyone running there ac? Are you running it on cool or auto? I ran my on cool and high fan and 64° temperature and after about 1hr and 1/2 it fails and triangle starts blinking. I then ran it on auto and 64° and it did fine not for sure if I ran it for exactly the same time or not. Please let me know if anyone else has tried this. Thanks 

Edited by Joe
Add more information

• Member ID:  477

The dealer ordered a expansion valve to try it. Does anyone think this will work?

• Member ID:  323
  • Content Count:  50

Well I finally got my defender back.  It was leaking on its connection to the compressor.  The air works but nobody would say it is cold, just cool.  We have run it several hours since getting it back and it has held up.  It has been 94 degrees with near 60% humidity and I can drive the defender and not sweat.  I don't think it is as comfortable in the back seats but for now it will do.  I recommend everyone clean their in cab filters to max out the airflow.  I also checked and when on max cool, no air is being pulled from the outside intake as I was going to close mine off but that was not needed.  I did close off my the 2 foot vents to boost output to the vents blowing at my face.  I do think I will add a 12 volt powered fan to the dash to move more air at me.  I hate the heat and can now ride and not get too hot.  

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  534
  • Content Count:  3

My A/C worked for a week.  Called two BRP service centers and they do not have certified A/C techs so they sent me to a Ford Service Center.  The Ford Tech found that theIt was no refrigerant In the unit and That both O-rings on the compressor side failed.  They are on back order till August.  The A/C is an automotive unit, so I was the told to bring it to Midas and that they could get the O-Rings from NAPA and that BRP warranty would be honored through my CAN AM dealer.  I will bring my machine in next week to see if Midas can correct it.  
Meanwhile, BRP advanced my claim to the Resolution department where I was on hold for 28 minutes and then hung up on.  The dealers are trying to help me correct the A/C problem but say that almost every Defender with A/C has failed.  

When my A/C did work (For one week) it leaked all the Condensation on to the floor board of the drivers And passenger side floor board.  Anyone else have that problem?

• Member ID:  537
  • Content Count:  6

Two days after delivery, it quit!  Back at the dealer now for uncertain stay!  Not hearing any consensus here on what the issues and solutions are....hopefully BRP will  advise....

My 2020 Defender goes into Midas tomorrow to have the A/C fixed.  We bought it May 20th.  It worked a week.  I’ve been getting the runaround from BRP.  No Can Am dealers (2) in my area are equipped to deal with air conditioning.  So the dealer made arrangements to go to Midas.  Previously I had it to a Ford dealership where they found both O-rings on the compressor side leaking.  O-rings from Can Am are on back order till the end of August.  Midas says they can get them from NAPA.  We’ll see.  It’s all covered under warranty.  All I know is that Midas says they are getting several in for repair so there is obviously a engineering defect.  Meanwhile, BRP has escalated my warranty claim to the resolution department.  The summer is more than half over and I’ve had no A/C since June 1. Also, when it did work, the condensation leaked onto the floorboard of the driver and passenger side floorboard.  Anyone else have that problem?

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  487

I had my Limited out this weekend in plus 30 degrees weather. The air seemed to work on low but would send the warning code if on medium or high. The dealer filled the Freon before heading out and said they had no issues. Of course it always works at the dealership. I have not seen any leaks so I am hoping it’s just the sensor like I’ve seen in other posts. It’s going back to the dealer this weekend so I will keep you posted if they report anything. 

• Member ID:  578

My defender limited a/c also quit. They dealer said the evaporator is leaking. It's back ordered until Sept 8. Seems to be poor QC at the factory. Not happy but will give them one chance to fix it. 

• Member ID:  409
  • Content Count:  5

Summers almost over still no ac and still waiting on parts can am sucks and so does their costumer service 

• Member ID:  323
  • Content Count:  50

UPDATE:  It has been over 550 miles since I got my defender back with working air.  The air has been run for all 550 miles without any problems.  I did add the 12 volt powered fan, suction cupped to the front window for additional breeze and it has worked very well.  I think that this is really gonna work well and I would recommend the Defender Max Limited to anyone considering getting one.

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  609

Hello, I too purchased a new 2020 defender max limited and the AC didn’t work when I got home and unloaded it off the trailer. Flashing the triangle and blowing cool not cold vent air. Dealership I bought from as well as three others told me they are too booked up to get it in. It would be 4-6 weeks.... Very very very disappointed in this purchase. I am coming from 2017 AND 2018 Polaris North Star crew’s that I never had an issue with!! I thought I was making an upgrade! It’s summer and the extra money spent for AC and cab is now a nuisance. After some self investigation my AC lines up front are full of sticky dried Freon coming out of the condenser on passenger side. The nut that tightens the line to condenser was never attached at all, not even a turn. What else is loose and missing though!? May take matters into my own hands and follow up with CANAM with photos and videos if my dealer gives me the run around. 

Along with the AC not working my front AND rear doors are adjusted horribly and there are air gaps on 3 of the 4 doors. I attempted to adjust myself but not much luck. Have to slam the rear doors because they get jammed. The reviews I saw all talked of how automotive the cab on this machine is, NOT. To go on when I loaded machine up On delivery at the dealer the driver side rear fender plastic was rubbing the rear tire to find out it was missing fasteners, my salesman ran inside then threw in some plastic darts to attach and gave me some extras and said “i may need them” after getting it home I found the front plastic CV Guard was missing a rivet from factory, also found missing plastic dart fasteners laying on the rear floor. Finally found where those went as the interior plastic was vibrating so bad. At this point I am frustrated, this is not the CanAm quality I paid for. 

Dealer I purchased from was 250 miles away because nobody closer had one or could get one. I am very dissatisfied to say the least, as soon as I handed over that check for the most expensive machine in their floor nobody cares who I am. I really hope CanAm stands behind this and gets us going because when people ask how I like it they will be getting an ear full as of now! if anyone has any questions my phone number is 716-860-4290 I would be glad to explain in more detail. 

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

Sounds to me though you got a machine that did not have a pdi at the dealership. I would take the machine back to the dealer and tell him to call when its ready. At that time do a thorough walk around with the service manager if the machine doesn't meet your requirements leave the machine at the dealership and go back to Polaris. Most dealerships should have a return policy for an unhappy customer. 

This is my opinion only based on the tone of your post. 🤔