Question about changing a tire in the back country...

Bad Daddy

• Member ID:  759
  • Content Count:  107

I have a tire repair kit, on board and a compressor, but I was wondering about having a spare tire mounted, for that one time that a tire is not repairable.  And, lets face it, I just want to spend $ on the DeFunder.

The question is, I never see a jack-all or anything in any of the pics, so how do you get the wheel off the ground, with a 2000 lb defender?

Curious.

• Member ID:  12
  • Content Count:  65

I keep my jack-all in my box, I find it annoying but has got me out of lots a jams, been looking at mounting options, was thinking under the bed between sway bar and tailgate  

• Like 1

• Member ID:  338
  • Content Count:  265

Cylinder/Piston jack, smaller to store easier, safer. Keep a piece of 3/4 plywood or something to put the jack on in the mud/soft ground or find a rocky surface.

• Like 2

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

If the back country has trees it is easy to raise the front end using your winch enough to change, repair or work on the front end. I can do the same on the rear end with my rear winch but most machines don't have one. 

You can also use a cut tree or dead fall as a lever to raise the front or rear end and block up the machine on either axle. You can also build a small ramp to drive up, out of rocks, dead fall etc. block up the axle and remove the ramp material and drive off after the repair. I carry a small axe, small bow saw and or a chain saw if exploring an older seismic line. I also carry a small come along that could be used to raise the machine using a tree for support.

I carry an air compressor or hand pump, a small patch kit and some small ratchet straps along with a long screw driver and other tools. My most recent purchase has been "tire ject" which can be poured into the tire after removing the valve stem and air back up. I think there is a thread on here about different products. The good news is that quadding since the mid 90"s we have had only one machine get a flat that we needed to bring in a spare wheel for. We usually quad in the Alberta foothills (crown land) where there are some sharp rocks, lots of dead fall and some muskegs. Our day trips can be 60 miles long so a long way from the vehicle or help.🙂

• Like 2

• Member ID:  834
  • Content Count:  3

Handy Man Jack aka Hi-Lift Jack aka Farm Jack works great, doubles as a manual winch. Mine is a 60 inch jack mounted to the top rear horizontal bar of the roll cage.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!  Lots of great advice, much appreciated!

Edited by Bad Daddy
Spelling

• Member ID:  298

Lots of good options listed here so far. I got a scissor jack from rock mountain atv along with a tusk mount that clamps to the 2” cross bar of the roll cage inside the cab. Plenty of head room, doesn’t get in the way at all. Hope to never need it 🤞🏻. Just another option for you...

7D765BD5-241A-4ED6-BCF0-5387D46515EC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

In the same mode as Andy... I have used a couple downed logs or a one and a stump... take one and roll it under one end or use a stump... (building a ramp) drive said flat corner up ramp to lift off ground... change tire... Pretty much always carry a shovel of sorts at ALL TIMES!! Can dig down some if needed... 

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

On 2/4/2021 at 8:55 AM, Andystoy19 said:

If the back country has trees it is easy to raise the front end using your winch enough to change, repair or work on the front end. I can do the same on the rear end with my rear winch but most machines don't have one. 

You can also use a cut tree or dead fall as a lever to raise the front or rear end and block up the machine on either axle. You can also build a small ramp to drive up, out of rocks, dead fall etc. block up the axle and remove the ramp material and drive off after the repair. I carry a small axe, small bow saw and or a chain saw if exploring an older seismic line. I also carry a small come along that could be used to raise the machine using a tree for support.

I carry an air compressor or hand pump, a small patch kit and some small ratchet straps along with a long screw driver and other tools. My most recent purchase has been "tire ject" which can be poured into the tire after removing the valve stem and air back up. I think there is a thread on here about different products. The good news is that quadding since the mid 90"s we have had only one machine get a flat that we needed to bring in a spare wheel for. We usually quad in the Alberta foothills (crown land) where there are some sharp rocks, lots of dead fall and some muskegs. Our day trips can be 60 miles long so a long way from the vehicle or help.🙂

Must ALWAYS BE PREPARED!!! When I'm playin' HARD I always carry my toy box... extra straps... snatch blocks... chainsaw.. shovel... etc.... Id rather have it in Bear and NOT need it.... Than not have it... and NEED IT!! 

• 1 year later...

Well it happened- got a flat- tore a 1-1/2” gap in the sidewall of the rear tire. 

We were headed over to a friends house, went through the trails 15km to get there and snagged a root or a rock.  Sssssssssss right as we got on the road. 
7 homes away from my buddies house. 

So after happy hour we jammed 4 or 5 bacon strips into the hole, let it sit, and an hour later aired it up. 
Drove back to the cabin, 35 kms of road, this time, and as of this am, it’s still holding air!

We are now getting a spare, if it had happened in the backcountry we would have been screwed.

48 hours later, it’s still holding air. 

I don’t think I would trust it for a venture out into the woods.

50E0876F-C43B-4C65-8DFE-33EF844B6F27.jpeg

0BCA8E09-2780-4A46-9E45-7061322CA79C.jpeg

Edited by Bad Daddy
Pics added
  • Haha 1

• Member ID:  1,508
  • Content Count:  8

I am considering a Safe Jack bottle jack. It’s compact and powerful. Plus Safe Jack sells several useful extensions.

I really like the idea of the scissor jack secured up above inside the cab. Out of the way and it stays clean. However, you’d need a big scissor jack to lift high enough and may not have room to maneuver it under your machine out in the wild. 

I am looking at that Hornet Outdoors Hi Lift Jack.

So ticked off that I wrecked that tire!  Only 500 km on it, grrr!  Maybe the tire shop will tell me otherwise.

I have ordered two more tires, and a rear wheel.  

The new wheel will be a spare, and the two rears will get the new tires, and the spare will be the one good rear tire.  And I will keep the patched tire if its useable.

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

I doubt that they will patch a sidewall but you might be able to put a tube in it?🤔

• Member ID:  1,545
  • Content Count:  18

Hey BD. That's genius! Have seen many items used for temp plug for a cut tire in back country, but never bacon.  I guess you have enlightened us all on a new required item for our tool kit - grill to cook bacon! - 
also if I am not mistaken, you can't mount a factory rear wheel on the front, but can mount factory front on the rear. A better spare would be a factory front.