Super ATV Windshield VS Can Am OEM?

plumber802

• Member ID:  166
  • Content Count:  171

Not really sure about what government funded social programs your talking about but I don’t think that’s why. 
We pay to play just like the rest of you do.

It’s just a way to middle man parts. Most the stuff that it’s done to is contractor supplies and dealer oem stuff. I’m not talking the easy to fix or find stuff. I’m talking the stuff that only really contractors or tradesmen use. or dealer parts. Amazon is a perfect example it shows oem can-am doors snorkel parts bumpers etc stuff for you guys in the USA but for me in Canada amazon.ca same parts are not available. See it all the time. If I think the price is a real good buy I’m probably on amazon.com instead of amazon.ca

O ya and the polish is called novus plastic polish. 

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

2 hours ago, Hkb82 said:

Yes it is. I was going to post it as well. Because, if you own a rag top... you own Novus 3 plastic polish... 2 &3  are mostly used... 1 is for heavier scratches.... comes in a three pak (red/blue/grey I think it was) and it works pretty well. 

But like I told people when I replaced a deck. Usually with Trex decking.... Sure the cost is more up front, but wouldn't you rather be fishing or camping rather refinishing the windshield? Oh wait, I mean deck?..... 😉

But that's me.... 

Well good thing is your windshield is a lot smaller then a deck and if a job that small hold you off the water you probably didn’t have the time to begin with. Also owning a campground I don’t get much time to camp anymore. I can always find time to play with the defender though  

i just wanted to put my 2 cents in on the windshield topic. Most people could get by fine with the poly I would think. If your in constant mud I’d be leaning more towards the glass. Cost in Canada at least was 4x for the glass not including the wiper kit if I’m not mistaken. That’s a new poly every other year for 8 years. Before I ordered my defender I looked at windshield reviews and most were from people with glass saying it was the way to go. I just wanted to post as someone with the poly who is happy with it to date.  If I were looking to put full cab on I’d go with glass no question. But if looking to save a few bucks the poly one is not bad.
Like I said before would I like to have glass? yup. Do I regret buying the poly? Nope comes down to your budget and what your using it for I guess  

plus I like the weight loss and 2 min removal. Gotta be +5hp 

• Like 1

I get the savings... i also get the 5 minute swap. But 5hp? Not so sure on that one...  But overall it is CLEARLY a preference/budget thing. Being from the PNW most our wet.... is MUDDY... and LOTS OF WET!!! So the sealed glass with a wiper was a NO BRAINER for me... but again.... THATS ME.... Either choice is a FINE CHOICE!!! As long as it's going on a DEFENDER!!! 😉

• Like 1

• Member ID:  405
  • Content Count:  45

4 hours ago, Hkb82 said:

Well good thing is your windshield is a lot smaller then a deck and if a job that small hold you off the water you probably didn’t have the time to begin with. Also owning a campground I don’t get much time to camp anymore. I can always find time to play with the defender though  

i just wanted to put my 2 cents in on the windshield topic. Most people could get by fine with the poly I would think. If your in constant mud I’d be leaning more towards the glass. Cost in Canada at least was 4x for the glass not including the wiper kit if I’m not mistaken. That’s a new poly every other year for 8 years. Before I ordered my defender I looked at windshield reviews and most were from people with glass saying it was the way to go. I just wanted to post as someone with the poly who is happy with it to date.  If I were looking to put full cab on I’d go with glass no question. But if looking to save a few bucks the poly one is not bad.
Like I said before would I like to have glass? yup. Do I regret buying the poly? Nope comes down to your budget and what your using it for I guess  

plus I like the weight loss and 2 min removal. Gotta be +5hp 

It's good to get an honest perspective. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I hope that business at your campground is good this summer despite the challenges we are facing. In my area of the north west part of Vermont there are several campgrounds that depend on tourism from Canada that are struggling due to the border being closed until June 27. 

9 hours ago, Hkb82 said:

Thanks. I watched a couple of YouTube videos on this stuff and it seems pretty legit.

7 hours ago, A hunt 2 remember said:

But 5hp? Not so sure on that one... 

Was a joke I didn’t really think I was gaining 5hp. 

1 hour ago, Hkb82 said:

Was a joke I didn’t really think I was gaining 5hp. 

Maybe if you covered it with vaseline you could go faster and squeeze through tighter things.... 😉

• Member ID:  39
  • Content Count:  54

4500 miles with every thing u can throw at a windshield... and my super atv hard coated poly carbonate windshield is still 99% the same great shape as new the only scratch it has is my fault because of the windshield wipers I installed had a sharp lil rock in a clump of mud i wiped off and it got me for a small hardly noticable scratch ... it was $325 when I bought it a year and a half ago ... my cousin bought glass tilt out for his defender and it cracked just like every car windshield I've ever owned ... the thought of having to buy another glass windshield after dropping $1250 is crazy ... it would take an army tank to fuck up hard coated polycarbonate for any abuse we put these bikes threw ... my other cousins glass windshield also shattered (from his head but that's another story) ... only thing I would change is more air flow but the updated there windshields and they do have more air flow ..... the flip up would be nice from them ... but I wanted a light bar up top and wanted it below roof height for clearance on tight woods trailers here in Missouri and the flip out makes it to were u have to put the bar on the roof 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stapleton said:

4500 miles with every thing u can throw at a windshield... and my super atv hard coated poly carbonate windshield is still 99% the same great shape as new the only scratch it has is my fault because of the windshield wipers I installed had a sharp lil rock in a clump of mud i wiped off and it got me for a small hardly noticable scratch ... it was $325 when I bought it a year and a half ago ... my cousin bought glass tilt out for his defender and it cracked just like every car windshield I've ever owned ... the thought of having to buy another glass windshield after dropping $1250 is crazy ... it would take an army tank to fuck up hard coated polycarbonate for any abuse we put these bikes threw ... my other cousins glass windshield also shattered (from his head but that's another story) ... only thing I would change is more air flow but the updated there windshields and they do have more air flow ..... the flip up would be nice from them ... but I wanted a light bar up top and wanted it below roof height for clearance on tight woods trailers here in Missouri and the flip out makes it to were u have to put the bar on the roof 

Thanks . I appreciate you taking the time to give feedback. My Defender will mostly be used around the yard and for plowing in the winter so it won't be exposed to branches and rocks and such that could damage it. It appears that the poly windshield might be okay for what I need.

On 6/3/2020 at 4:57 AM, plumber802 said:

My Defender will mostly be used around the yard and for plowing in the winter so it won't be exposed to branches and rocks and such that could damage it.

You say that now but just wait. You’ll be looking for reasons to be behind the wheel of that defender. Where I live we are allowed to run the roads so it’s to easy to put km on this thing.  I take my boys to hockey sometimes use it like a third vehicle. 
We have lots of sand and rocks and I go out with a lot of tire spinners me included. This was another consideration for me. Pitted plastic or busted glass.  A friend has put 2 glass windshields in his ranger but he understands that it can happen and doesn’t blame anybody. We try and respect the guys behind us but sometimes we creep to close and get what we get. Lol. The first one was smashed in the first 2 kms of a ride with maybe 3-400 km on the ranger. We just stashed it in the bush and got it on the way out. The second one lasted much longer but still cracked from a rock. Not as bad though. His rig is pretty sweet with heat and ac full cab so I can see why he gets glass. 

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  518
  • Content Count:  1

On 5/26/2020 at 9:39 AM, plumber802 said:

Even the OEM Can Am hard coat poly flip out windshield is $885. I wonder if the quality of the polycarbonate of the made in the USA Super ATV flip out windshield is the same as the OEM Can Am? 

I bought the oem hard coat flip out. Right away screw fell out. Dealership sent new one. Would slide in and out of hole without threads touching. Dealership told me to buy bigger screw and rethread hole. Hand tightened new screw, now spider web cracks all around screw. To boot I hand tightened other screws with lock tight. They all cracked now too. And I wasn’t cranking on them hard either. Just snug