Super ATV Windshield VS Can Am OEM?

plumber802

• Member ID:  405
  • Content Count:  45

There is a significant ($260) price difference between these 2 windshields. The Super ATV windshield mounts via some Velcro straps which seems convenient but I'm wondering how this method will hold up over time. It's advertised as 1/4" hard coat polycarbonate and Made in the USA. I suspect that the OEM windshield is of good quality but is it worth the price difference? Any thoughts/comments? Thanks.

I forgot to mention that this would be for my 2020 Defender HD8.

• Member ID:  364
  • Content Count:  36

I have had Polycarbonate windshield on previous SxS including a rear window one now on my 2020 HD10 XT-P. All will scratch easily no matter how careful you are. I popped for the OEM Automotive glass tip out front windshield and it was the best investment I ever made. 

• Like 1

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

56 minutes ago, Okie556 said:

I have had Polycarbonate windshield on previous SxS including a rear window one now on my 2020 HD10 XT-P. All will scratch easily no matter how careful you are. I popped for the OEM Automotive glass tip out front windshield and it was the best investment I ever made. 

I've had poly windshield/visors before.... While they are cheaper, The glass tip out on my defender has NO GLARE or superficial scratches with nearly 2000 miles on 'Bear' in some pretty RUGGED terrain. I'm SURE had my windshield been polycarbonate it would be WASTED by now... especially where the wiper swipes.... Sure rainex works on the poly... but with it in my bugwasher jug, when i hit the washer i get a new dose on my glass shield... WORKS AWESOME...

• Like 1

Thanks guys for your replies. The Can AM flip out glass windshield is $1230 OUCH!!! The Super ATV hard coat "scratch resistant" poly flip out windshield is $625. That's a $605 difference between the glass and poly which is a hard pill for me to swallow. 

Even the OEM Can Am hard coat poly flip out windshield is $885. I wonder if the quality of the polycarbonate of the made in the USA Super ATV flip out windshield is the same as the OEM Can Am? 

20 minutes ago, plumber802 said:

Thanks guys for your replies. The Can AM flip out glass windshield is $1230 OUCH!!! The Super ATV hard coat "scratch resistant" poly flip out windshield is $625. That's a $605 difference between the glass and poly which is a hard pill for me to swallow. 

13 minutes ago, plumber802 said:

Even the OEM Can Am hard coat poly flip out windshield is $885. I wonder if the quality of the polycarbonate of the made in the USA Super ATV flip out windshield is the same as the OEM Can Am? 

Okay... so just food for thought... really.... the cost of the glass flip out is the cost of your replacement shield that you get to replace the the scratched up, yellowed out old one you're tired of looking out the door to see... 😉

Where the glass will be there forever really... ever own a soft too rig? Or heck.... look at the headlights on your car... HAZEY.... Not sure about you.... but I CAN'T STAND a dirty windshield.... (a glass one) so to think about the poly is not an option for me... even helmet visors I change as soon as they start getting scratched and goggles too... THANK GOD THEY AREN'T 650.... 😉

So I guess IMO it may be a bit to swallow..... but you only got to swallow it ONCE... 

Hate to say it...... But I'd even step it up to the wiper..... PRICELESS!!!!

I appreciate and value all the comments and advise so far.  $1230 plus tax... Santa is going to shit his red  trousers when he gets my wish list this year!!!

• Haha 1

Here's something I just spotted. I'm thinking had my windshield been poly it would have a gouge in it or worse a crack... My glass just got a sap scratch....from the broken branch I got somewhere... I actually thought they were gouged in... NOPE... Not sure I could say that on a poly... no matter how hard the shield... the second shot is not as big or great of a shot... but both would surely gouged a poly...

You better be EXTRA NICE THIS YEAR!!! And make the GOOD BOY LIST!!! 😉

15905412790028035010477871654272.jpg

15905414169691290785343949376419.jpg

• Like 1

• Member ID:  375
  • Content Count:  7

so far I've been happy with the satv flip out. no scratches so far, but I am kinda easy on it. have driven under some low hanging limbs around the farm with no problems yet.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  166
  • Content Count:  171

I’m pretty happy with the hard coated windshield from can am. Is it the best absolutely not but does it do the job yup. I’ve got around 2000km in my hd10 and it does have some scratches but nothing to bad. I don’t baby it if there is a low branch that window is going to push it. Lol. Would I like to have the glass one yes but I was in the same boat as you not really wanting to spend that much on the glass after dropping what I did on the hd10. 
I love my defender but think the accessories can am puts out are way over priced. Come on 5300 for hard doors. That’s crazy and around 2 grand with wiper for the glass flip out. My deciding factor was I had the poly window on my last side by side and it was deff pretty scratched up and needed to be replaced but it lasted almost 9 years. No yellowing or cracking. Just scratched to poop. 
Ever replaced your windshield in your truck. Well I did last year in my 2016 ram and it was 500 bucks installed. So to think that can am should be 2000 is crazy. It is nice though and if I had the cash I’d probably get it. But I’m a little crazy also. 

I also like to be able to take it off on those super hot days. Takes about 2 min. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Hkb82 said:

I’m pretty happy with the hard coated windshield from can am. Is it the best absolutely not but does it do the job yup. I’ve got around 2000km in my hd10 and it does have some scratches but nothing to bad. I don’t baby it if there is a low branch that window is going to push it. Lol. Would I like to have the glass one yes but I was in the same boat as you not really wanting to spend that much on the glass after dropping what I did on the hd10. 
I love my defender but think the accessories can am puts out are way over priced. Come on 5300 for hard doors. That’s crazy and around 2 grand with wiper for the glass flip out. My deciding factor was I had the poly window on my last side by side and it was deff pretty scratched up and needed to be replaced but it lasted almost 9 years. No yellowing or cracking. Just scratched to poop. 
Ever replaced your windshield in your truck. Well I did last year in my 2016 ram and it was 500 bucks installed. So to think that can am should be 2000 is crazy. It is nice though and if I had the cash I’d probably get it. But I’m a little crazy also. 

I also like to be able to take it off on those super hot days. Takes about 2 min. 

Thanks bud for posting your experience withs the poly windshield. I'm not sure why our Canadian friends seem to pay double the cost of an item that you would get in the USA. I watched a couple of youtube videos of how to polish out scratches on polycarbonate/lexan windshields with good results as long as the scratches aren't too deep.

• Member ID:  166
  • Content Count:  171

A friend gave me some stuff to try on my old machine and it worked out amazing. Almost like new except for the large scratches. It obviously wore off and would have needed to be reapplied but I only did it once. He uses it on his Harley that is his pride and joy so I felt pretty safe using it. I think it was called novas. I will have a look in the shop later on I’m pretty sure I had some left. It was a 2-3 part but I only used the 2 parts. 

Also I can’t figure out why we pay so much more either. Trying to find anything aftermarket or oem is crazy priced in Canada compared to the USA. Almost three times the price on most things I look at. Plus not a lot of your retailers will ship to Canada. It’s the way it works for everything. They allow retailers or shops to order in parts to mark up the price wile we can’t order directly. Legal mafia lol

i own a campground in Ontario and use hydro meters  throughout the park for each site. The counters in those boxes are about 4 bucks directly from Eaton  in the usa but I can’t order them directly so I’m forced to pay 18 bucks each  in Canada. 
thisbis why if you are close to the border a US mail box would be nice. I’m about four hours but been thinking about it more and more these days. Well not really during covid days lol. I think of how my defender would look if I lived in the states. 🤔

2 hours ago, Hkb82 said:

A friend gave me some stuff to try on my old machine and it worked out amazing. Almost like new except for the large scratches. It obviously wore off and would have needed to be reapplied but I only did it once. He uses it on his Harley that is his pride and joy so I felt pretty safe using it. I think it was called novas. I will have a look in the shop later on I’m pretty sure I had some left. It was a 2-3 part but I only used the 2 parts. 

Also I can’t figure out why we pay so much more either. Trying to find anything aftermarket or oem is crazy priced in Canada compared to the USA. Almost three times the price on most things I look at. Plus not a lot of your retailers will ship to Canada. It’s the way it works for everything. They allow retailers or shops to order in parts to mark up the price wile we can’t order directly. Legal mafia lol

i own a campground in Ontario and use hydro meters  throughout the park for each site. The counters in those boxes are about 4 bucks directly from Eaton  in the usa but I can’t order them directly so I’m forced to pay 18 bucks each  in Canada. 
thisbis why if you are close to the border a US mail box would be nice. I’m about four hours but been thinking about it more and more these days. Well not really during covid days lol. I think of how my defender would look if I lived in the states. 🤔

Thanks bro for the detailed reply. Is it possible that in some way things are more expensive in Canada because you guys have more government funded social programs than we do? Anyhow, I live in St-Albans, Vermont and the Quebecers rent mailboxes at the UPS  Store here in town and have packages shipped there. They must then somehow bring them back across the border "discretely".