Puddle Buster doors

RossO

• Member ID:  330
  • Content Count:  123

Finally received the window kit for my doors and just thought I’d share with everyone my thoughts and a few pics. 
First off I thought the hinges were kind of a weak point, but after some fine tuning and minor adjustments they are working just fine. Originally I had the doors adjusted with too much pressure/stress on the hinges causing them to bend and pull apart. 
Second, I thought the doors were defective because they had flown open while trailering. After a few more adjustments I think I have solved this issue. The striker plate was too far away from the striker. I had it set this way because it was easier too open for the kiddos. My bad. 
Third, you are getting a full AND half hard door with a glass window for only $1,500 + shipping. The window is stationary. 
After all is said and done, I would recommend this door if anyone else is looking for a good half door and full in the same door. That being said, I have zero experience with OEM doors so I can not say either way which door is better. 

DF337D61-2FEA-469A-9E00-0AC6C87CD800.jpeg

1D3F21DA-7DE8-43B0-8959-E23FD3FBF711.jpeg

861E78E0-60A9-4390-92E2-60C9A63BC5B2.jpeg

A1990BEF-DD77-4367-B1B3-D49F9386530B.jpeg

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

Right on... While those look like an economical way to get a full door. I really like my OEM doors with power windows and dual walls. With my windows down I would have to think its like a half door. I also like that I can crack the window just a bit as well. Qhen i bought my Defender it was a full cab edition so im not sure what they cost as a separate purchase. But I would have to think more than 1500. What I would do is get 1/2"thick sticky back foam via amazon and cover your rear firewall and the inside of tose doors to kill some extra road/engine noise... 

That sounds like a great idea. With all those hard surfaces in the cab it does get kind of loud. 

I was looking at buying the OEM doors, but I think after buying the wire harness needed for the power windows and the price of the doors I would have probably been in that $4k-$5k range. I also wasn’t sure how they would do submerged in water since this machine does need to cross beaver ponds from time to time.  

it’d be nice to have the full cab machine like yours for my every day stuff around home and then have the Xmr at the cabin for the mud. Maybe if I win the lottery hahaha 

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

I actually got a 3'x4' recycled rubber door mat from home depot that i used as a floor mat. Helps channel the water you track in rather than make the floor all muddy and slimy... and some rubber window seal tape to fill all the smaller cracks like around the rear of the cab at roll bar. As well as doubling the windshield and door gaskets to cut down on the dust billowing in.... i also pulled my headliner and foamed the roof. 

• Like 1

Those are all really good ideas.  I'll definitely be looking into all of those things.  Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  232
  • Content Count:  50

I was really considering the puddle buster doors. After contacting them they said they were many months out on having Defender Max 4 doors for sale. They estimated it would be about double the cost of the two doors. Not bad for a full door that converts to half but longer than I wanted to wait. 

I ended up doing the can-am half doors. Just finished the install and they definitely make a difference with wind in the cab. Think it will help with dust too. I’m pretty sure I can fab a bolt on frame that I can put a plexiglass window into. If I get crazy enough to try it I’ll it it up. A few pics with the new doors. Last pic shows the weatherstripping I used to stop the rattling. Stole the idea off of YouTube, can’t remember the user but credit for the idea goes to him. 

B1DAF813-F41C-4E06-99EB-8DEC0D4BAEA5.jpeg

3B891D81-5BDC-4342-AB31-FDFE4F5F9D93.jpeg

48972D76-04B0-4A3D-B841-318721840E0B.jpeg

69BAA2D1-E7B6-4B17-9396-CF8DB2379CCD.jpeg

• 8 months later...

• Member ID:  805
  • Content Count:  5

I had my HD8 half doors installed by dealer...Probably could have done it myself but oh well. I notice on dusty roads that the dust swirls in the back seat and its not a great ride I assume if you happen to be in the back seat. Not sure if this is the case without doors since I bought new w/ doors. 

IMG_5469.jpg

• Member ID:  759
  • Content Count:  107

Robert J if you don’t have a rear window, that might be the case...

I have the clear vinyl window, and rear pax don’t complain.  

• Member ID:  166
  • Content Count:  171

I’m going to have to look into those PB doors a bit more. I remembered seeing them last winter but were back ordered   Can-am is not really in my good books right now.  I’ve been trying to get soft doors for my unit with no luck from dealers. Seems their soft doors were pulled from the shelves a year + ago due to fit-mint issues or quality control or some bs. 
I bought my 19 defender hd10 in April almost two years ago. Since it was April I decided to wait on the soft doors till closer to the fall I own a campground in my area and don’t want doors on in the summer. Between the time I bought and a few weeks before my campground season ended the doors were no longer available. I’ve been in contact with many dealers as well as corporate with no answers. Pretty sad that can am has just not bothered to come back out with a new soft door for the defenders.  Might have made different choices if I had known that removable soft doors weren’t an option.  Now I’ll go with half doors and fab uppers myself or be looking around. 
Not being able to open the windows on those puddle buster doors kinda sucks as I think they are the best looking aftermarket ones I’ve seen yet. I thought about just pulling the trigger on hard doors but I don’t think they will be fun to remove all the time nor are they meant for it so I’m sure I’d damage hardware eventually. Plus they are almost 6 grand in Ontario Canada. I would have been better off getting a cab unit so at least it was more insulated plus all the other stuff that comes with those cab units. Hence why I’m not so happy with my dealer. 

• Member ID:  790
  • Content Count:  9

7 hours ago, Hkb82 said:

I’m going to have to look into those PB doors a bit more. I remembered seeing them last winter but were back ordered   Can-am is not really in my good books right now.  I’ve been trying to get soft doors for my unit with no luck from dealers. Seems their soft doors were pulled from the shelves a year + ago due to fit-mint issues or quality control or some bs. 
I bought my 19 defender hd10 in April almost two years ago. Since it was April I decided to wait on the soft doors till closer to the fall I own a campground in my area and don’t want doors on in the summer. Between the time I bought and a few weeks before my campground season ended the doors were no longer available. I’ve been in contact with many dealers as well as corporate with no answers. Pretty sad that can am has just not bothered to come back out with a new soft door for the defenders.  Might have made different choices if I had known that removable soft doors weren’t an option.  Now I’ll go with half doors and fab uppers myself or be looking around. 
Not being able to open the windows on those puddle buster doors kinda sucks as I think they are the best looking aftermarket ones I’ve seen yet. I thought about just pulling the trigger on hard doors but I don’t think they will be fun to remove all the time nor are they meant for it so I’m sure I’d damage hardware eventually. Plus they are almost 6 grand in Ontario Canada. I would have been better off getting a cab unit so at least it was more insulated plus all the other stuff that comes with those cab units. Hence why I’m not so happy with my dealer. 

Iv been contemplating the same thing. Looking at the super atv doors but not a fan of the look and would like a window for air flow. Where abouts in Ontario are you?

I’m on the Bruce peninsula. How about yourself?  
I’m not a big fan of the super atv doors either 

When I was talking to a can am rep on the phone they were not much help with any info about if doors were in the workings. Same thing through email. I was actually left feeling that they might not be to concerned about the issue. They only say to check with your dealers and my dealers say to contact can am directly as they have no idea of any doors coming out.  To be totally honest I might actually sell the defender if it doesn’t make it ice fishing again this year. One of the things I was really looking forward to using this defender for in my off season. But with no doors it will stay tucked away and only used a few times a winter just like last year 😢😢😢 with no doors I’m better off using my sled or quad to get out ice fishing and that sucks big time with how much these toys are to have to put it away for the winter.   

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  790
  • Content Count:  9

On 12/28/2020 at 10:37 AM, Hkb82 said:

I’m on the Bruce peninsula. How about yourself?  
I’m not a big fan of the super atv doors either 

When I was talking to a can am rep on the phone they were not much help with any info about if doors were in the workings. Same thing through email. I was actually left feeling that they might not be to concerned about the issue. They only say to check with your dealers and my dealers say to contact can am directly as they have no idea of any doors coming out.  To be totally honest I might actually sell the defender if it doesn’t make it ice fishing again this year. One of the things I was really looking forward to using this defender for in my off season. But with no doors it will stay tucked away and only used a few times a winter just like last year 😢😢😢 with no doors I’m better off using my sled or quad to get out ice fishing and that sucks big time with how much these toys are to have to put it away for the winter.   

Sorry for such a late reply...I'm up in sudbury and have been dealing with a couple dealers with no luck either. I have a friend who runs a fab shop might bring it there and see what he can make me. Also need some rock sliders built so hopefully it works out will keep you posted. If he does a good job might be able to get him to make another set.

Ya I’d be interested in seeing what a fab shop did for ya. And cost.  I’m leaning towards getting the oem half doors and just fab the upper section myself. The half doors actually uses the upper hinge point and runs a piece of 2-3 inch steel (looks like) up to that upper hinge. Should be able to make the window section pretty easy plus should still look alright. Be a summer project for me I think. Still can’t believe it’s been a two year battle.

• Member ID:  12
  • Content Count:  65

I’m in Sudbury also

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  947
  • Content Count:  2

Did you ever come up with an idea on the upper half on the can am doors ?