First service???

A hunt 2 remember

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

After putting on 1000 on my 2019 Defender HD10 I see no service warning on my instrument panel. My Outlander HD10 spit out a code at 500 miles but nothing on the Defender. So.... after looking in the manual, it seems they dont call for first service is at the 2000 mile mark. Really? 2000 miles? Has anybody really gone that long before changing the original oil? Thinking I'm gonna change the oil/filter and get any shavings out of the engine. Wondering what the difference is? And why one sent the code and one did not....

• Member ID:  12
  • Content Count:  65

My dealer got me to do first oil change at about 25km or 15 miles, then all other services to fallow manual, My manual says 3000km or 2000miles OR 200hours whichever comes first

• Member ID:  12
  • Content Count:  65

Just checked my bike and I’ve got 1500km/930miles but I’ve got 175hrs so should be do for another service soon

Right.  To hell with the book. I'll be doing things as per my driving style/ conditions. Because 2000 for a first change is CRAZY!!

• Member ID:  20
  • Content Count:  100

I did my first service at 80 hrs and there was a lot of metal was on the oil filter.  Also a lot of metallic sludge on the gear box drain plug.  Front differential still looked pretty new.  If you have a 1000 miles and haven't changed it before  I would recommend doing it.  From what I saw on mine, the dealer recommendation of changing it while still pretty new may be good advice.  I'm about to change mine again as it's coming up on the 2 year mark and I'll see if the metals shavings have all gone away.  From the looks of my oil when i check the level it still looks pretty clean so I'm hopeful they are just a thing when the engine is new.

16 hours ago, Mark said:

I did my first service at 80 hrs and there was a lot of metal was on the oil filter.  Also a lot of metallic sludge on the gear box drain plug.  Front differential still looked pretty new.  If you have a 1000 miles and haven't changed it before  I would recommend doing it.  From what I saw on mine, the dealer recommendation of changing it while still pretty new may be good advice.  I'm about to change mine again as it's coming up on the 2 year mark and I'll see if the metals shavings have all gone away.  From the looks of my oil when i check the level it still looks pretty clean so I'm hopeful they are just a thing when the engine is new.

It is a new engine thing... crisp edges that get busted off in the beginning. Most drain plugs have a magnet in them so as to pull the shavings to them. As AWESOME as the Canam BRP products are...... THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS!!!! Had a switch go out within the first month and had to PAY FOR IT MYSELF TO GET ONE THAT WORKED!!! WTF???? A 25K RIG AND YOU DONT WARRANTY ANY OF IT???? SHAME ON YOU CANAM!!!!!

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

I agree that doing a first service earlier rather than later is a good thing as it removes alot of solids that come in a new engine as well as some that are generated at break in. Changing the gearbox and differential fluids at the same time gives you an early picture of any potential issues such as water contamination (leaky seals) or high initial wear rates. If you see something that concerns you take a picture and save a sample of the oil that you can show the dealer if a problem occurs later. Make a written record of the date, mileage, hrs. etc. in your owners manual in case they ask for service records.

Canam follows similar recommendations on their other product lines that recommend similar long first change oil intervals. Its a marketing thing to reassure the new owner that you can buy a machine and enjoy it for the whole season without having to bring it in for service.

As far as Canam customer service: a lot of that depends on your dealer and your relationship with them. Some dealers are into multiple lines of equipment and do not know what is covered or how they can go about recovering warranted items unless you go through the whole shop procedure. Others have people in service who are very customer oriented and know more about Canam warranty. It takes time and effort to complete the paperwork for small items that might be covered under warranty and it is easier to sell you a product at retail and maybe recover the warranty later?🤔

• Like 1

• Member ID:  323
  • Content Count:  50

12-15 hrs I change the oil and then go full synthetic from that point forward.  You don't want all that break-in materials in there scoring stuff up.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  214
  • Content Count:  297

My HD8 has just over 11 hours and like many have stated, I will change it much sooner (this spring) as I do with all my other power equipment/bikes each year.  What brand synthetic are y'all using and is it very difficult to DIY?

Thanks.

CG

• Member ID:  239
  • Content Count:  9

How do you reset the “engine service” message on the dash?

Put the vehicle in Park, Turn ignition to on but do not start the vehicle, using mode select vehicle total mileage, press and hold the mode button and switch between Hi and Low beam 3 times quickly, release the mode button and turn off the ignition, do not turn the ignition back on until the multifunction guage turns off. This may require more than one try because some of these changes are time dependent.

I haven't done mine yet but will be resetting it once spring gets here.😉

• Member ID:  20
  • Content Count:  100

Coachgun,

It is not difficult to do yourself.  You need a few parts from can am.  Engine Oil Filter, Oil Filter o Ring, Engine Oil Drainplug Gasket, Gearbox Drainplug Gasket.  Then Front Diff Oil, Engine oil, Gearbox Oil.  Attached is a photo of the three oils I use.  I use the Lucas in the front diff, the Quicksilver in the engine, and the supertech in the gearbox.   You can get all of them on walmart.com.  I ordered the filter and gaskets from cheapcycle parts but if you are near a dealer it may be just as easy to go there for them.   I also removed and cleaned the vehicle speed sensor in the gearbox because it's magnetic and it will pick up some metal particles in the first oil change.  It was a bit hard to remove due to it's location in the back.  I have about 800 miles on these oils and they  still look new but I'm about to change again just cause I want to make it an annual event.

IMG_20190127_112502841.jpg

• Like 2

Much appreciated Mark!  :classic_smile:

• 1 month later...

First oil change on 2019 Defender Cab XT HD10, 27 hrs. and 100 miles in about 10 months. Oil was slightly off color, a trace of black around the magnet in the plug, the center was still all clean and nothing exciting in the filter.

I used Can Am full synthetic 0W-40 engine oil change kit which contained 2 1/2 qts of oil, a new filter, 0 ring for the filter cover and two new washers for the oil change plug one aluminum that fits this machine and a copper one that fits older/other models. The dealer had the kits on sale so still pricey but handy for someone new to the Defender and all in one tidy box. Since I have a two years remaining on warranty I will use the Can Am kit for one more oil change.

I will do the front differential (75-90) and the gear box as soon as I get more 75W-140 for the gear box. 

I tried to reset the service soon message using the procedure in my post above but I am not sure if it reset or not as it was not displayed at these early engine hours.😉

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Good afternoon all.  Resurrecting an old thread.  I'm about to drain the oil in my 2019 HD8.  I purchased an XPS kit pre-filled with oil, filter, gasket washers etc.  I pulled YouTube video of a shop draining the oil and they listed a 13mm is needed for the drain bolt.  However, it appears mine is an 18mm.  Can anyone confirm before I head to the hardware store to purchase?  Thanks!

CG