Speed and RPM with tracks

AkBillyBow

• Member ID:  1,870
  • Content Count:  3

All,

I have installed the Apache Backcountry LT tracks on my 2019 Defender XMR crew cab, and I am using the DPM track module.  I have only run it around my house a couple of times, but am concerned with the RPM's and speeds I am seeing.

I am running about 5050 RPMs at speeds around 10mph.  Running in just a couple of feet of snow.  It seems to be a lot higher RPM's than I was expecting.  I am fearful of running a long ways at over 5000 rpms, as it seems to be quite a load on the engine with these tracks on.  Is this normal?  Am I being over cautious?  I really baby this machine so perhaps I am just not used to running the RPMs up that high.

What are your opinions??

Thanks !!!

20221227_113537.jpg

• Member ID:  330
  • Content Count:  123

Tracks definitely change the way your machine operates.  I thought the same thing when I put tracks on for the first time also.  I thought that it almost takes the fun out of driving it because it was so much more noise in the cab and seemed like I was barely moving for how high the RPM's were, but you eventually get used to it and everything is fine.

• Like 1

RossO ... thank you for the reply !!  I was hoping that was the case.  One bad thing is when everything makes so much noise, its hard to hear if something is acting up.

Thank you !!!

• Like 1

• Member ID:  759
  • Content Count:  107

We have the 360 tracks and run at 3600’ altitude. 
It is slower (25 mph) usually cruising at 6000 rpm, and we have to use low range when going up any hill… 

1/2 speed of running on wheels

• Like 1

Thanks Bad Daddy!  I have seen a lot of your posts and use them for reference.  It is hard to find others using the Backcountry LT's.  I am at sea level and was running in High gear.  I would expect a bit more speed running at sea level, but I haven't gone too far with them on yet.

Anyone changing anything with their clutching?  In the snowmachine world, it is all about clutching.  I am surprised that I don't see anyone talking about clutching with these machines.

Thanks !!

AkBillyBow

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

Check out the garage builds section for clutching and other mods by different folks.🙂

• Like 1

• Member ID:  1,660
  • Content Count:  146

snowmobiles also dont have a low gear, that does help the clutching when they are running in low.  im sure you could but you wont really gain enough to make it worth the testing.  they are slow regardless of what you do to them.  lol

steve

• Like 1