Toy Hauler, human hamster wheel

Mikep123456

• Member ID:  70
  • Content Count:  80

Looking for some advice. My brain feels like a hamster wheel. 

Here’s some background. I originally started out with 23’ cargo trailer with 2 pop-up-fold out bunks, insulated, electric, canopy etc... very Spartan like inside but served it’s purpose. I sold it due how terrible it towed down the road. Not sure if it was the height of the deck or the height of trailer. Something wasn’t right with it from the start. I traded it on a standard all aluminum 8’ x 23’ car hauler. No insulation and no electric etc...I also bought a 34’ travel trailer and set it up at hunt camp, put a permanent pad in but is under the tree canopy. 3 years in the Michigan weather was about to take a toll on it. I would take it to the car wash each spring and fall for a good cleaning. Each month I’d make a day trip to fight the battle with the mice. I actually had that conquered. No mice the last 2 years. Anyway between 7 hour round trip and $30 in mice prevention I decided to sell it before it was substantially devalued. I hate losing money and to particular to let rot away. 

I don’t want to break the bank, so I have been trying to figure out how to haul my defender and have a quick and easy camp. I can rough it...my wife not so much. I have an outhouse at camp. She will use it reluctantly. I’d sell my enclosed trailer to help offset the cost. 

I have considered a pop-up with a cargo deck but don’t know if they will haul a defender. Thought about a shed/cabin but that doesn’t allow me to go to other areas to haul and camp. Still have the battle with mice etc... and the maintenance of it being in the woods. I’ve also considered converting my current trailer into a camper, but since I’m not all that handy I’d have to pay for the conversion. Cost would add up fast. Anybody have any ideas to allow me to haul and camp? Being able to store at home would save on the wear and tear from the elements and with the mice issue. I currently store my trailer under cover on a hard surface. I don’t want to pay to store 2 trailers.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mike

• Member ID:  166
  • Content Count:  171

I think your best bet is to modify your existing trailer you use to haul the defender into a toy hauler kinda thing. Not being super handy might end up adding to the cost but I’d think less cost then buying a cabin or second trailer. If you can find someone that scraps trailers it would be a great way to save a few bucks on a few windows and other RV stuff you’d like to add. Still won’t solve your outhouse problem but would save ya from having two trailers to look after. Lots of cool ideas and builds already kicking around like this online. Might not be as luxurious inside as an actual toy hauler but it will definitely give you a camp that you can take anywhere you take the defender. I guess it’s going to come down to your needs or maybe your wife’s needs. After a day of riding my needs are a shower a fire ring a bbq and a bed. If those are all present I’ll be living like a king. 
I own a campground in Ontario and Have seen some pretty cool custom cargo conversions over the years. Some from the inside you would never know it’s a cargo. We also get  a few toy haulers ever year but not many that my defender would fit inside. The ones it will fit into come with a very heavy price tag. Plus a 3500 pickup would likely be needed. Not sure what your pulling with now but those 3500 ain’t cheap either. If not looking to break the bank or have multiple trailers I’d say converting your cargo is the best bet. 

• Member ID:  171
  • Content Count:  55

Just thinking a, Sled Deck type bed on the p/u and haul the camper. They have them that will load up a Defender. 

• Like 1

• Member ID:  265
  • Content Count:  21

I get a family that have coming to my park once a year for a few years now and he actually had this made up to bring his defender along for the camping trips. It’s a pretty sweet setup that’s for sure. I was amazed the first time I saw it. Super nice group of folks.    Looks like a beast pulling into the park all loaded up. 

CFE409FA-5FB9-4A89-862F-37C81CDAEC0F.jpeg

A44FD492-CE11-4FAC-B183-441F730C5FA7.jpeg

• Like 1

That millennium trailer is super nice wow. 

7 hours ago, Tug Hill said:

Just thinking a, Sled Deck type bed on the p/u and haul the camper. They have them that will load up a Defender. 

Well since my truck is a company vehicle I’m not sure my employer would approve although he is tolerant of the dog box and pulling a enclosed trailer for hunting trips etc... the sled bed might cause a raise of the eyebrows. Lol 

The millennium is awesome but expensive. As HKB82 stated might be best to adapt what I have... 

Hmmm...

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

You can also get a flat bed trailer and mount a truck camper on the front of it and drive the defender up behind, I don't have any pictures but I have seen many different styles over the years.😉

Not sure if you have ever seen the price of those truck campers but I was pretty blown away the first time I saw prices. I’m talking Canada mind you but some are about the same price as an actual trailer. 

The cost is crazy especially If it involves wood and steel.

I’m considering converting my trailer. I’m handy enough to do the insulation and hanging some cabinets. It’s the addition of windows, roof vent plumbing, electrical that I’d want help with.  

At the end of the day a used in good condition pop-up camper would serve the purpose up-north but I’d have to either cover while on the property it or store off-site near my camp during the seasons I would use it. The set-up would be more laborious and if I traveled I’d be forced to use a motel as I couldn’t drag both at the same time. In the off season I would be able to store it in the same covered slip as my enclosed trailer. 

Thanks for the conversation and ideas. 

I had the idea of a conversion a few years ago. My plan for plumbing was to add a false floor 6-12 inches to accommodate the wiring and plumbing and tanks side of things in the front of the trailer so as to not affect my head room as much. I was thinking v nose. Windows were the part I planned on paying a trailer place to install. I wouldn’t think it would be crazy cost if you buy the windows from them. I was buying a new trailer so I wasn’t really excited about cutting into it. It had vents already in place.  Couple fold down beds plus a table and whatever else ya want to add.  Sounds so easy just talking about it. I’ve seen some pretty sweet setups people  have made for ice fishing trailers also. Might be worth a search. Might give you some different ideas also 

14 hours ago, Hkb82 said:

I had the idea of a conversion a few years ago. My plan for plumbing was to add a false floor 6-12 inches to accommodate the wiring and plumbing and tanks side of things in the front of the trailer so as to not affect my head room as much. I was thinking v nose. Windows were the part I planned on paying a trailer place to install. I wouldn’t think it would be crazy cost if you buy the windows from them. I was buying a new trailer so I wasn’t really excited about cutting into it. It had vents already in place.  Couple fold down beds plus a table and whatever else ya want to add.  Sounds so easy just talking about it. I’ve seen some pretty sweet setups people  have made for ice fishing trailers also. Might be worth a search. Might give you some different ideas also 

That pretty much sums up what I have been thinking. Your correct on searching the web. YouTube has a ton of stuff. I think thats my issue just so many creative ways to tackle the dilemma. Just depends on how elaborate one wants to get.