New Defender purchase questions

Justinw6210

• Member ID:  702
  • Content Count:  7

I am in the market for a new machine. I currently have a 2018 Defender HD10 XT. I love the machine and it has been great, but I want a 6-seater. I have been tossing around the idea of a DPS HD8 Max. I mainly ride on county roads and use it for pokers runs, etc the most. From time to time, I will go off road and do some trail riding.

I would love to hear some feedback form anyone who has a HD8 Max, or has an opinion going from a HD10 to HD8. I just want to have plenty of power when I have four adults in it. Also, I am nervous I will miss the extra power. But, for a $3k price difference, I don’t think I would miss it that much. Any feedback would be great! I would like to hear from anyone who has an opinion! 

Thanks as always! 

Edited by Justinw6210
Correction

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

Oh baby.... You may have opened a can of worms this time..... I'm thinking EVERYONE has an opinion... lol 

As far as it goes, How are you with your HD's power with 2 adults in it? How about loaded? By chance have you added bigger tires? Gonna plow snow??? All things to consider when looking at your swap.... best of luck in your decision. Only thing better than a good small motor? A BIG MOTOR!!! You can always NOT use the power of a big motor when it'sNOT NEEDED. But you can NEVER USE power you DON'T HAVE.... Just a thought.

Joe

Haha yeah, you may be right! I love the power we have now, but to be fair, I don’t ever use it to its full capability. Have never pulled anything in it, maybe have had a couple hundred pounds of bricks in it once in three years. Have had it some in some mud before and it was great. But, my dad has an HD8 three seater and he went the same places I did with no issue. My OCD I think is what I’m stuck on now. It drives me crazy to not have the biggest engine haha. As far as mods, I will leave it stock with the exception of some accessories. 

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

If you have found a machine at the dealership that you are interested in take your family with you load it up and take it for a spin that will answer your question best. I am confident that the HD8  will be fine but its your money.😉

• Member ID:  338
  • Content Count:  265

Rarely hear anyone say "I bought too powerful of a machine", but I see plenty of posts on "How do I make my HD5 or 8 have more power?"

• Like 1

• Member ID:  405
  • Content Count:  45

I plowed snow for the first time recently with my HD8. It exceeded my expectations. Yes, I agree that  the $3500 difference wasn't worth the extra 200 cc's.

IMG_2031.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  323
  • Content Count:  50

If you mainly run gravel then the extra speed of the HD10 would come in handy.  As I understand the HD8's top out around 55 mph.  HD10 runs around 66 mph.

• Member ID:  666
  • Content Count:  37

I have a stock 2021 hd8 and it goes over 60, according to my speedometer

Are you happy with your HD8?

• Member ID:  666
  • Content Count:  37

I love it, I had a honda pioneer before and the defender is on a different level than it. I am so glad I switched