Defender front end noise

TC24

• Member ID:  563
  • Content Count:  2

When I turn my wheel all the way to one side it makes a “low growl” in the front end. It’s 2 years old and very rarely goes off road. Does anybody else have this going on?

• Member ID:  232
  • Content Count:  50

Are you in 4x4 while on hard packed surface? If so probably the front diff trying to do its limited slip thing. 

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  598
  • Content Count:  1

I have the same thing going on with mine. Mine will not stay aligned it will pull to the right.  I took it to the dealer and they gave me the deer in the headlight look. So i drive with it and the wheel is half to one side. Mine has never seen mud or off road at all. Its a gravel road queen. 

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

12 hours ago, Tdawg said:

I have the same thing going on with mine. Mine will not stay aligned it will pull to the right.  I took it to the dealer and they gave me the deer in the headlight look. So i drive with it and the wheel is half to one side. Mine has never seen mud or off road at all. Its a gravel road queen. 

If you have DPS (dynamic power steering) and you have not hit something with the front wheels to cause misalignment than the dealer can put the unit on BUDS and reset the steering validation so that your steering wheel is centered again. If no power steering than you need to do an front wheel alignment.😉

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  613

I have a 2017 defender hd8 XT. I had to replace the rack and pinion steering. It had a horrible clunk in the front end mainly on the right side. After replacing it with the factory part I still have a slight clunk in the right front. Can anyone give me any insight then why this is happening. My machine is used for hunting with my dog and small trail riding.

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  716

On 8/20/2020 at 9:56 PM, Tdawg said:

Tie two strings to your rear hitch and pull the strings across the mid points of the rear and front tires and tie them off in front on a straight line. I use jack stands to tie them off. Center the steering wheel and then adjust the tie rods to straighten each front wheel using the strings which are aligned off of the rear wheels. This will not only align your front wheels but will also put the steering wheel dead on. I also have the grinding noise which seems to be pretty common on these. 

• Like 1

• Member ID:  39
  • Content Count:  54

The front end growl when turning is supposedly an issue can am is aware of ... my cousins 2018 hd 10 had that growl when turning from the front end dealer took it in and checked it his problem was the tolerances in the diff were to tight and were grinding there selves away ... it was warranty replaced and now the new diff is growling just the same ... can am told our dealer in the beginning of the year they were supposed to have a differential fix for this possibly a warranty replaceable/ recall for a new redesigned front diff and they had july as a release date but then corona happened and that hurt everything including the diff fix .... our dealer is talking with them again right now to hopefully get complete answers on what there goin to do with this update since his warranty is up but every thing is back dated and documented ... so it's a waiting game still and hopefully have some good news soon 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

• Member ID:  847

Attention Stapleton, did you ever get that front differential with the manufacturer resolved for your cousin's defender because I am having the same problem? 

Thanks John Smith

• Member ID:  847

On 11/1/2020 at 8:14 PM, Stapleton said:

The front end growl when turning is supposedly an issue can am is aware of ... my cousins 2018 hd 10 had that growl when turning from the front end dealer took it in and checked it his problem was the tolerances in the diff were to tight and were grinding there selves away ... it was warranty replaced and now the new diff is growling just the same ... can am told our dealer in the beginning of the year they were supposed to have a differential fix for this possibly a warranty replaceable/ recall for a new redesigned front diff and they had july as a release date but then corona happened and that hurt everything including the diff fix .... our dealer is talking with them again right now to hopefully get complete answers on what there goin to do with this update since his warranty is up but every thing is back dated and documented ... so it's a waiting game still and hopefully have some good news soon 

Hi Stapleton, having the same problem with the growling in the frontend. changed front differential.  Noise went away for 2 weeks and came back. I was wondering if your cousin got his growling  Noise in the friendend resolved by the Manufacturer?

• Member ID:  853
  • Content Count:  4

Mine has done same thing with the growl. Replaced it the first time under warranty. They said they won’t this time. I let it go and now the front diff is tight. Right side is free and can’t turn driver side. Put it back together and running in 2 wheel drive.

Forgot they told me they have a third generation front end now to fix it but it costs over 1000 dollars. They will give me a 10 percent discount

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

On 1/16/2021 at 9:24 AM, Phil said:

Mine has done same thing with the growl. Replaced it the first time under warranty. They said they won’t this time. I let it go and now the front diff is tight. Right side is free and can’t turn driver side. Put it back together and running in 2 wheel drive.

Mine has done the exact same thing. NO WARRANTY..... WTF??? Going to Halo locker for front differential now... LOVE MY RIG!!!! HATE MY MANUFACTURER/WARRANTY!!!!!

• Like 1

Where did you find Halo locker?I can’t find one that says it fits my 2016 defender with dps

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

15 minutes ago, Phil said:

Where did you find Halo locker?I can’t find one that says it fits my 2016 defender with dps

Halolocker.com 

I have a 19... I'll look... but pretty sure you can get one.. HD 10?

Edited by A hunt 2 remember
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  929

I have a 2021 Defender cab HD10 & my front end is growling especialy when you get into a turn at slow speed especialy just dropped it at dealer today(3/17/21).waitin for there diagnosis,readin all your posts & hoping they fix it with no further issue,stay tuned & i will let you guys know what happens...