Defender front end noise

TC24

• Member ID:  841
  • Content Count:  10

Well took my 2021 defender hd8 cab in for the front diff noise and I'm waiting to hear back.. I called before hand and had them confirm that there was a known issue and there is.. I took it in 3 days before the warranty expired so hopefully it's covered either way.. When I hear something I will try to report back to you all on the issue. 

• Member ID:  541
  • Content Count:  20

Make sure they address this as it is a common issue. Don't accept a quick fix, document it and ensure they will cover it if they don't replace the front differential as they did in my case. These units are not cheap and service should be the dealers main goal to purchasers. 

I'm hoping for a good outcome as this is the first can am and can am service claim.. I was not pleased at all with 2 of the 3 local polaris dealers when I had rzrs.. Multiple  trips for the same issue to be brushed off as nothing wrong..when the one did agree there was an issue but neither I or them could figure it out (metal shaving in front diff oil). The internals all looked perfect.. Polaris's reply to me was buy a new diff. Less than 500 miles in the machine

• 2 weeks later...

Well i called the dealer last week to see if they had any new news and they said they pulled afloat the front diff and everything inside looked perfect and no metal shavings in the oil. They are waiting on a new cv to try and see if that is the issue.. I wish parts weren't taking so long to come in

Dealer called me again on Saturday and the cv helped some but they aren't happy with the noise and slight vibration so they are going ahead and doing the TSB fix anyways to replace the internals.. So far I am real pleased with my local dealer

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  1,490

OP,

I had a 2019 Defender XT HD10 and had this same issue. I used mine as a motorized wheelbarrow around the yard so it was never abused or put in the mud. I only noticed it at low speeds while turning left and figured it was something coming from the power steering. I sold that SxS last fall and just bought a new 2022 same model and don't have this issue now.  

• Member ID:  1,509
  • Content Count:  3

Purchased 2021 can am defender limited. Had growling noise full turn left and right. They repaired under warranty. Just picked it up. Hopefully no more issues. Here is the reciept on what they did.

20220320_191201.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well got the defender back and they replaced the internals and a cv.. Went on one ride and now I'm leaking oil out the front diff at the drivers side axle. Would I be correct to assume there is a rubber seal where to axle slides in like every other brand or does can am have some different setup that i dont know about before I take it apart cuz I'm not taking it back to the dealer this time.. Also can it be replaced without taking the diff apart the parts explosion looks like it is put in from the inside

Edited by Bapple1403

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

Might just check the oil level in the diff, it may be over filled?🙂

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  593
  • Content Count:  32

I have the same rubbing sound on my 2020 Defender HD8 when turning sharp left or right. Does Can Am have a fix for this?

• 2 months later...

• Member ID:  593
  • Content Count:  32

On 1/12/2022 at 10:40 AM, Hogisland42 said:

I talked to the dealer about the growl noise when turning. Of course mine is out of warranty now. But to my surprise they said they know about the problem and there is a fix for it, and it doesn't have to be under warranty for them to cover it. It is like like a customer satisfaction program, i think they said was open until 2023

What state you in and what dealer was it. Going to take my 2020 in this week for same issue. Anyone else had this fixed?

• 3 months later...

• Member ID:  1,030
  • Content Count:  47

On 7/30/2022 at 1:11 PM, ymurf said:

What state you in and what dealer was it. Going to take my 2020 in this week for same issue. Anyone else had this fixed?

not yet because my 2020 has no warranty and my dealer said it would be out of my pocket to cover cost even though its a can am problem that they are totally aware of.

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  1,030
  • Content Count:  47

so checked with a different dealer since i had nothing to lose and they told me that can am will cover it but it has to be done by the end of January of 23. So parts are ordered hoping to get it in there this week or next. funny how some dealers will help and others don't care!

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Forgot to post an update on the seal leak.. When I finally got around to the seal leaking I drain the oil and the diff was half full of water.. I knew better than to not not drain that first thing so completely my fault. Since it sat with water in there for 5 months the growling noise has returned when turning sharply.. I'm at the point of IDGAF cuz it's winter I'm only using to plow my driveway now so if it tears itself apart so be it. When spring gets here I'll pull the diff put new bearings in it and maybe put in a torq locker.. But hey good news the new seal isn't leaking 😂