Power Window Issues

• Member ID:  297
  • Content Count:  2

I’ve had my 2019 Defender HD10 for a little over a year now with no issues. Just recently my power windows stopped working from the driver side door - window and both switches. Passenger side door and switch works fine from that door.  
I took the switches off of the door today and cleaned them and put them back on. Now the passenger side one works (but the light no longer works) and the driver side window switch still does not work, yet the light is on on that switch. Any thoughts on what could be going wrong?

Edited by ike_6309

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  222
  • Content Count:  5

On 5/18/2020 at 8:40 AM, ike_6309 said:

I’ve had my 2019 Defender HD10 for a little over a year now with no issues. Just recently my power windows stopped working from the driver side door - window and both switches. Passenger side door and switch works fine from that door.  
I took the switches off of the door today and cleaned them and put them back on. Visut AutoGuysLand to review how long you can drive with a misfiring cylinder if you concern. Now the passenger side one works (but the light no longer works) and the driver side window switch still does not work, yet the light is on on that switch. Any thoughts on what could be going wrong?

Try to check the fuse. it could be broken or faulty switch.

• Member ID:  242
  • Content Count:  125

Friends, I just had the same thing happen to my 2019 XT Cab: driver-side window button became intermittent and got worse and worse until it finally quit working altogether.  Definitely not a fuse, but a failing switch.  I'm going to cruise the sites and look for an upgrade - and then replace all three in the cab.  It seems that this is a known problem, and warranty WILL replace it.  I'll let you know what I find.  - Mark

• Member ID:  233
  • Content Count:  17

I have had mine replaced twice. I remember someone that found a replacement switch, but the face was plain, no window logo. keep us updated with what you find. Thank you

QUICK UPDATE - I reported the faulty switch to my local dealership and they know about the problem.  However, they WILL NOT cover it under warranty unless you bring in the Defender for a diagnosis.  Then they "apply to have it covered" under warranty.  This immediately gave me nightmares/flashbacks from my 2011 Polaris Ranger 800XP engine debacle (44 hours, detonated a meticulously maintained engine, 12 week fight, and I eventually got a brand new machine - but quickly got out it while it ran and smelled new).   I offered to bring in the switch and prove its inoperability with a multimeter ("What's a multimeter?" - I kid you not, friends) because I don't have access to a tow vehicle just now a they declined the offer, re-stating that they wanted the whole Defender in the shop.  Finally, I bought a switch at www.canampartsguy.com and ate the $88.00 (parts + shipping).   If anyone knows of a quality aftermarket replacement, preach on! - Mark

• 3 months later...

• Member ID:  70
  • Content Count:  80

I had the same issue on my 2020 Limited with my power window switches. I called my dealer and they told me too bring it in and they would check it out right on the spot. Brought it Saturday morning left it on the trailer and they confirmed my findings. In less than a half hour I was on my way with new switches on the driver side. 

Great customer service! 

• Member ID:  636

Same thing with my 2020 limited. Bout a year old. Switched around plugs on driver side . Just can’t roll up passsenger window🤣works from that side though 

• Member ID:  636

Have not seen the double switch for sale yet 

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  697
  • Content Count:  1

The switch can be fixed although it is temporary.. you take it apart, and clean the black crud that builds on the contact points.. the switch works... and then after so many ups and downs.. the switch doesn't work. Bad part.. very frustrating.. looking for a long lasting replacement part... 

I'd be keen to hear from anyone who has found a replacement switch

GWS7570 - my problem was completely different: the switch fell apart internally with broken pieces of plastic and springs going everywhere when it was removed.  As it was failing, it made a crunching sound.  Cheap Chinese-sources plastic switch. -Mark

• Member ID:  709

I got two switches not working properly!  The passenger door window switch is not working but only going up.  The drivers side window switch works temporarily but not all the time going down, but goes up fine.  Both window switches go up fine, just going down is a problem.  definitely the switch but I sure as hell won't be paying $103. for a switch, that is just plain stupid!  Who they kidding?  I either will take them apart and fix or replace with a $8 switch.   

• 2 months later...

• Member ID:  323
  • Content Count:  50

If you have a claim, or more,  for it under warranty when the warranty runs out Can Am may be required to continue to fix it under your states "Lemon Law".  I know if the same thing fails three times in my state, I am golden.  Can Am can fix it or give me a brand new unit.

• Member ID:  814
  • Content Count:  37

Did anyone find a decent aftermarket replacement for these switched?

My 2019 Defender XT Cab has had this issues since day 1. Had the windshield wiper switched replaced and driver side window switches once so far under warranty. Every couple months I have been pulling the switch apart and cleaning the contacts using Nutrol Control Cleaner https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B005T6I9HQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  works really good, but is just a pain. I have not had any issues with the XTC Turn Signal Kit switches, and wished they would make some replacements for the Defender Cabs. 

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  884

Can Am wants $78 for a power window switch , I got mine for $28 from the OTRATTW Switch Guys , works great and delivery was in a few days.

There phone number 408-252-1544

• 3 weeks later...

• Member ID:  907

The attached pdf documents what I learned after my 2021 Defender Limited driver window switch went bad.  Included is info on another alternative switch.

Can-Am power window switch 10.pdf

• Like 1