2018 Xmr rear differential

RossO

• Member ID:  330
  • Content Count:  123

Does anyone know if it is possible to get parts or the whole assembly for an unlocking rear diff in the 2018 Defender Xmr?  I didn't think it would bother me that much to have a solid rear diff, but lately the wife and daughter like to go for rides around town and its all asphalt.  It is definitely more of a burden when I have the 31" street tires on.  It almost make me not even want to drive it on asphalt.

• Member ID:  362
  • Content Count:  21

I have a similar issue with my brand new DPS 6x6. The 4 rear wheels are full-time 4WD (open diffs) but it binds up in turns, tearing up my lawn and leaving skid marks all over my concrete drive.

I can disconnect the rear driveshaft but that is less than convenient.

Manually locking hubs or a locking diff like used in the front of my 6x6 would be awesome...

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

I was chatting with a knowledgable parts guy at the dealer the other day getting some info on potential clutching changes for my machine and I asked him if he knew what the difference in low gear ratio was between the Defender XT and the XMR?

He couldn't find the gear ratio but found that the gearboxes are different and the cost difference is big with the XMR being the cheaper one. This might suggest why the XMR has a solid rear diff like the Outlander for example and the Defender being more of a utility machine has the unlocking diff option to protect the grass etc. around the house.

The best person who might be able to answer your question would be to ask someone in the shop who works on the machines to see if the XMR can be upgraded to an electric  rear diff lock?

I did ask about the Smart Lok front diff that is available on the XMR but not on the Defender XT and it appears you can buy the parts to do the upgrade but they are way to expensive, so if I wanted the option for locking the front diff I would probably choose one of the aftermarket models?🤔

17 hours ago, Andystoy19 said:

"I did ask about the Smart Lok front diff that is available on the XMR but not on the Defender XT and it appears you can buy the parts to do the upgrade but they are way to expensive, so if I wanted the option for locking the front diff I would probably choose one of the aftermarket models?🤔"

This is one of the options I'd like to explore with my 6x6 - being a total noobie with CanAm, can you point me to who is making aftermarket diffs and driveline components? If I could adapt a Smart Lok front diff to my most rear tires and activate it with a switch... Man, that would be cool.

Thanks!

There are several options on the net, the halo locker which replaces the visco lok front end appears to operate similarily to the Smart Lok. Once you replace the visco lok you can lock the front end with a switch on the dash. I have not seen this one operate other than the U tube video. The torque locker and pin locker are other options that will appear if you search for can am differential lock?

I do not know if anyone makes anything for the rear diff as the gear boxes from the factory may be different and it may be more difficult to do? FYI

• Member ID:  64
  • Content Count:  88

I installed the halo locker front differential kit about a year ago and it works flawlessly. Makes a huge difference from the visco lock. 

FEAE6D08-126D-444F-AA75-257A6D187280.jpeg

CD8B5E07-0087-42D8-82EB-B57B22D49932.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Does the 2019 Xmr rear diff fit in the 2018 Xmr?  

As for the 6x6, could you have (2) unlocking rear diffs?  Obviously very expensive, but would that be an option?

I think I'd just want to unlock the rear-most wheels.

So far, other than just trying it out, there has been no need for the full 6WD. This thing has traction for days!

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

"I installed the halo locker front differential kit about a year ago and it works flawlessly. Makes a huge difference from the visco lock."

Thanks, Rudy! I'll check into that.

I installed the halo locker front differential kit about a year ago and it works flawlessly. Makes a huge difference from the visco lock. 

Hi Rudy, I watched a couple of their videos including the install one but have a question. Do you have to fully stop to engage the electric locking device on the halo locker?🤔

I contacted Halo and they don't do anything with rear diffs.

I'm still looking for a solution.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DavidY said:

I contacted Halo and they don't do anything with rear diffs.

I'm still looking for a solution.

Awesome.  I really appreciate the help. Thank you

6 hours ago, Andystoy19 said:

Hi Rudy, I watched a couple of their videos including the install one but have a question. Do you have to fully stop to engage the electric locking device on the halo locker?🤔

Hello Andystoy19, I would recommend stopping before locking the halo locker as it is a mechanical pin lock and if the axle is spinning when the pin locker is engaged it can wear pins prematurely. I would definitely verify with Halo though. I always stop to engage them stop to disengage. 

Rudy you are correct, I got an email verifying that, thanks. 

1 hour ago, Andystoy19 said:

Rudy you are correct, I got an email verifying that, thanks. 

Awesome! If you decide to install I can post some more photos that may help. Glad they clarified!