Half Doors

Lewiston49

• Member ID:  1,135
  • Content Count:  1

Trying to decide which half doors to install on my Max XT, I'm either going with Can Am's doors or Super ATV doors. The main issue I want to avoid is rattling, any opinions on what doors would be the best choice?

• 4 weeks later...

• Member ID:  1,086
  • Content Count:  7

I have the 2020 hd8 max xt, went with the can and doors. Not bad, little rattle at high speed on rough trails, plan on adding high density foam spacers to stop rattle

• Member ID:  1,086
  • Content Count:  7

Don’t get the stock limit straps on the doors, they are cheap and will tear out fairly quickly, at least my kids managed to destroy them pretty quick. I replaced with cable limit straps, very solid

• Member ID:  232
  • Content Count:  50

Went with the can am doors and am happy. The super atv doors don’t look like they seal to the cab. The can am doors really cut down on the dust that rolls in at your feet. 

Two tips for rattle. Add duct tape around the striker post. Also add nylon washers between each joint on each hinge. They act as bushings and stop the metal on metal squeak that will make you insane. A few dollars and now no noise from the doors. Need to do a write up on that one but haven’t had the time. 

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  166
  • Content Count:  171

I also got the can and doors added tape to latch posts plus weather stripping to the parts that were bare around the door. No noise at all. Will be building uppers for them real soon. 

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  1,334
  • Content Count:  6

On 10/5/2021 at 6:56 AM, Hkb82 said:

I also got the can and doors added tape to latch posts plus weather stripping to the parts that were bare around the door. No noise at all. Will be building uppers for them real soon. 

Hkb82 - have you made any headway on making uppers for your can-am half doors?  I am thinking about doing the same.  I was thinking something that can be removed easy for summer.

OK, time will tell if this is a bad idea.  I am proceeding with building my own uppers for the can-am half doors to help close in the cab.  I have just build a template for the window and have ordered a sheet of Lexan MR-10 (abrasion resistant polycarbonate).  I will make the frames out of angle iron that will bolt to the half door frames.  I will post the build in the coming weeks once all materials are received and i have time to work on this.  Any advice would be appreciated.

window template.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  759
  • Content Count:  107

I have the Can Am Half Doors.  Installed some weather stripping and no issues with rattling.  A bit of work to put them together, but they work well.  Door straps are pretty weak, as others have mentioned.    I just purchased the Off Road Armour uppers for them, and will report back once they are installed. 

I am also installing an Inferno Heater.  The Can Am Heater required the roll cage to be removed for the installation, and if I had done that at the start of ownership, before putting on a roof, liner, windshield, wiper, and interior and exterior lighting, I "might" have considered the OEM system....

Unfortunately, none of this will happen this year, due to all of the highways to the interior of BC being closed until January, as a result of the flooding, mudslides and washouts of 4 highways....

Those uppers look alright, i definitely would have considered them had I seen them before I started to buy materials.  The AR poly carbonate sheet has arrived.  I will be getting into this the week of December 20th when I get some time away from my real job. 

Good luck with your doors and heater Big Daddy and more importantly I hope everything is OK on your end with the flooding.  Yikes!

• Like 1

• Member ID:  759
  • Content Count:  107

Thanks Dillmania, we are ok, just cut off from the fun parts of BC at the moment...  I will be curious to see how your uppers turn out, and may end up going that route if these things don't hold up.  

I ordered the heater out of the US... $399.  plus exhchange, plus freight, plus import taxes and duties and brokerage...   $399 USD, turned into $726 CDN, lol...Still cheaper than the CDN $1799 plus tax OEM unit... but geez!

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  166
  • Content Count:  171

Can’t wait to see how the door build goes for ya. I’ll be starting the same thing in a few weeks. Been putting it off since last year. My only issue is adding a window that will open. Do you have any plans or thoughts on that??? 

I just finished installing the Inferno heater yesterday.  It went pretty well, minor hiccup with one of the gear clamps.  The heater is a very tight fit in the dash, but it is a clean looking install.  I took it out for a little test drive and the heater is functioning.  

For the doors I have rough cut the abrasion resistant lexan, I have seals and barrel fasteners on order and I have 3/4" square tube that I will make the frames out of.  I will get after it boxing day, I hope.

My thoughts for a window that opens is this, I make a fixed window set up first.  If it goes well then I will look to make a slider window that can let in more air.  My windshield can open so can always get air that way.  I plan to remove the windows from spring to fall as the cab would be a hot box when closed in.

• 1 month later...

On 12/22/2021 at 8:40 PM, Hkb82 said:

Can’t wait to see how the door build goes for ya. I’ll be starting the same thing in a few weeks. Been putting it off since last year. My only issue is adding a window that will open. Do you have any plans or thoughts on that??? 

Ok that took longer than hoped. I tried to cold bend the aluminum tube but kept breaking them as the mandrels were too small. I had a local welder weld out the frames. Here they are installed. 

52DBC6CD-CF62-4355-B8D1-C43FE7188C85.jpeg

75A4E4B3-9142-40CD-A3CD-6C4EB4C5C078.jpeg

E07920F6-0554-4B81-90A5-EADE68C951FA.jpeg

I will add an anchor point at the door handle today.  This summer I will get the frames adonized.