Extended Warranty

Yooper

• Member ID:  972
  • Content Count:  31

I’ve read up on a couple warranty topic on here but they are a little dated. 

We have been waiting for ours to come in for a long time. Estimated delivery date of May 10th but that didn’t happen. 

Last week we got the call it was in and ready to go they were just waiting on the light bar wiring harness. I told them don’t worry about it they can hook it up at it’s first service. Took care of all the financing paperwork…….wait for it……. We were going to go pick it up today…..service calls, it’s not ready. Won’t be ready until next Wednesday. They don’t put it together until the financing goes through. I would have taken care of that five months ago when we ordered it if I knew that! They can’t put these things together fast enough anyways!!!!!!!!  So disappointing. Anyway I will quit crying now. 

So sales guy says do you want an extended warranty. Should be around $1400 for six years. Hmmmmmm sure that’s not terrible 7 years for that price. Oh no sir it’s only 6, that includes one year factory. Hmmm ok. Let me run the exact numbers he says. Tells me it’s actually $1900, but if I purchase the prepaid maintenance plan it will knock it down some. Okay how much? $1400 more……seriously?!?! I don’t even know what that is because he couldn’t even explain it. No thanks bud. Okay want a lifetime battery warranty? Sure. It’s only $199 and is good for ten years and will take an additional $200 off the original  warranty. So confused.

So if you made it this far…..what did you pay for your warranty? 2021 Can Am defender HD10 Limited max. 

$2000 for 5 year (rider advantage) plus battery replacement. 

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

The final choice is yours but I do not buy extended warranties on anything, IMO they are not necessary usually and another money maker for the dealer.🙂

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

Every extended warranty I ever bought was either not used..... Or NOT COVERED!!!  Always some type of reason I voided warranty.... OR THATS NOT COVERED!!! Kinda like a "lifetime" battery replacement that lasts "10 years"? I may be wrong, but my English would equate that to a "10 year warranty" If they even honor it... They balked over a window switch..... I can about imagine the BS a battery would start up.... 

• 4 weeks later...

• Member ID:  1,018
  • Content Count:  25

I paid 750 for the can am extended warranty.  Negotiated down from 1200.00

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

On 7/13/2021 at 3:45 PM, Smittydog27 said:

I paid 750 for the can am extended warranty.  Negotiated down from 1200.00

Now to see if it DOES ANYTHING for you if the need arises...

• 4 weeks later...

• Member ID:  1,018
  • Content Count:  25

Well, it’s on the can am system at my local dealer as “under warranty”.  I hope it works.

• 5 months later...

• Member ID:  1,450
  • Content Count:  8

Hi guys. You will see my recent post. Sales manager did the scare tactic on me. Stating 85% of defenders use the extended warranty. Is that really true?  $1642 fir an additional 42 months after the 6 month warranty is up. 

• 1 year later...

• Member ID:  1,940
  • Content Count:  2

I purchased a 2020 defender limited hd10 and got an extended warranty for $1200 additional and it's paid for itself 3 times over at least. I am not a hard rider, dirt roads chasing critters average speeds of 25 to 30 mph. I had the fuel pump replaced 2xs, primary and secondary clutch replaced 2xs, and the front differential 2xs. Now, the caveat,  the clutch and front diff probably weren't installed correctly and they didn't replace all parts the first time and that caused the issues for the second but they honored it all under warranty. I had not had to change a belt since I bought it, and had 8600 miles on the original. I have all my annual maintenance done at the dealership while it's under warranty, about $400 a year and I change the air filters quite often.  If you don't use it alot, warranty may not be worth it, but I got it because I didn't spend that much for it to sit. Hope this helps someone.