19 Defender Crew XMR Loss of power

Land

• Member ID:  86
  • Content Count:  1

I have a new 2019 Defender Crew XMR, I went to take my little girl for a ride and it has no power I put it in high gear and gave it gas bc I was going to ride her down dirt road and at 4600 rpms it started saying wrong gear and jumping and I had the gas pedal to the floor and it wouldn’t go faster than 4600 rpms and speedometer doesn’t work so I put it in low gear speedometer still don’t work and will only let me go up to 5500 rpms. Any ideas of what could be wrong, I have checked fuses, battery connections as well as tried unplugging the battery to see if it would reset itself.

• Member ID:  20
  • Content Count:  100

Land,

Sorry to hear your new can am is acting like that, what a bummer.  That's an interesting set of issues and not an obvious common denominator that would point to the problem.  Since it's new I would suspect like you did that something just came unplugged and hopefully an easy fix.  Since your speedometer is an obvious problem might start with the Vehicle speed sensor.  If it came unplugged or quit working it might cause this.  It's located in the rear on top of the gear box behind the plate right above your trailer hitch area.  While back there I would also check the fluid level in your gearcase.  It's the plastic dipstick towards the back of the motor on the passenger side that takes a socket to unscrew.  It's possible they forgot to fill it up. if so that would be bad.  Your speedometer could also be a bad display, bad ecm,  or corrupted software in the ecm.  The jumping and low rpm sounds like cam shaft timing issue, maybe this points back to the ecm being bad or corrupted. The "wrong gear" is the belt protection part of the computer telling you you're damaging your belt.  I'm not sure what the computer take it's que to display that message.  Maybe it's throttle position and speed to see if your putting too much torque on the belt, so the speedometer might be causing that message.  Given all these things and and the fact that your not getting a check engine light, I'd lean toward a bad ecm or software.  I assume your taking it back to the dealer to fix.   Let us know what you find out.

• 1 year later...

• Member ID:  460
  • Content Count:  8

Try the speed sensor

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  521
  • Content Count:  3

On 6/27/2020 at 6:48 AM, Jay from PA said:

Try the speed sensor

On 3/12/2019 at 12:59 PM, Mark said:

Land,

Sorry to hear your new can am is acting like that, what a bummer.  That's an interesting set of issues and not an obvious common denominator that would point to the problem.  Since it's new I would suspect like you did that something just came unplugged and hopefully an easy fix.  Since your speedometer is an obvious problem might start with the Vehicle speed sensor.  If it came unplugged or quit working it might cause this.  It's located in the rear on top of the gear box behind the plate right above your trailer hitch area.  While back there I would also check the fluid level in your gearcase.  It's the plastic dipstick towards the back of the motor on the passenger side that takes a socket to unscrew.  It's possible they forgot to fill it up. if so that would be bad.  Your speedometer could also be a bad display, bad ecm,  or corrupted software in the ecm.  The jumping and low rpm sounds like cam shaft timing issue, maybe this points back to the ecm being bad or corrupted. The "wrong gear" is the belt protection part of the computer telling you you're damaging your belt.  I'm not sure what the computer take it's que to display that message.  Maybe it's throttle position and speed to see if your putting too much torque on the belt, so the speedometer might be causing that message.  Given all these things and and the fact that your not getting a check engine light, I'd lean toward a bad ecm or software.  I assume your taking it back to the dealer to fix.   Let us know what you find out.

Did you ever find out what was going on? I have the exact same issue right now!

Looking to see if anyone figured out an answer to this problem. I have the exact same circumstance at 4600 RPM the engine start surging gear indicator start switching speedometer does not work seems to be in limp mode

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  691

As all of the above, start with the speed sensor.🙂

• 3 weeks later...

• Member ID:  538

I am having this same issue and every thing I have read seems to be pointing to the speed sensor. I am having trouble finding the replacement part. Can someone share a part number and enlighten me on where it is located on the machine? I have the '19 hd10 dps. Thanks in advance!

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  691

Try this link https://can-am.brp.com/off-road/ca/en/shop/for-sale/parts-iframe.html, than go under year, sxs, defender North America, 05 gear box and components item number 20 speed sensor, part number 420265261. Make sure you confirm this number for yourself or with your dealer before you order. The diagram shows it is located near the back on top of the gear box so it should be easy to find if you follow the wire harness? If you are in the US go to the US parts link but the part number should be the same?🙂

• Member ID:  538

Thanks! Looking into it now.

On our defender I found that the speed sensor and angle sensor had gone bad. Once I replaced both of them everything went back to normal and it is running fine again. Thank you to everyone for your quick responses they definitely pointed me in the right direction.

• 5 weeks later...

• Member ID:  64
  • Content Count:  88

Just had this exact same issue on mine this Saturday. Ordered a speed sensor. Hopefully this fixes it. Sounds like replacing the sensor fixed everyones issue. 

• 3 years later...

• Member ID:  2,200
  • Content Count:  2

I have a 2019 defender and the engine light came on yesterday, i notice that it has a loss of power. It doesn’t sound  normal also, any ideal of this issue?

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  1,180
  • Content Count:  18

Maybe a lil more detail, seem to be slipping? Just low on power? What doesn't sound normal about it?