Limited MAX owners...

Bad Daddy

• Member ID:  759
  • Content Count:  107

I have the OEM interior light, that I want to install.   Where on the headliner does it mount on a Limited MAX?  Not wanting to have it in the wrong spot...

I have the roof wiring kit installed, and the headliner, but not sure where they put it on the units from the factory.

If you could supply a pic, that would be great.

TIA, BD

• Member ID:  972
  • Content Count:  31

Still waiting on mine damn it but if it comes soon I will drop a picture.

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

I don't have a Max.... but if you pop your liner (which youll have to do to wire the light) you should see the mounting lugs molded on the roof... I actually installed door switches so mine comes on when I open my doors.... Good luck!!

• Member ID:  166
  • Content Count:  171

This is the roof of my non max but it gives you an idea of what will likely be under your liner. (Don’t worry I switched those white zips for black ones on the roll cage) There are molded screw spot locations build into the roof. Ive always thought the ones in the centre middle were for the interior lights and the others for a headliner. 
Love hunts door switches but I don’t run with doors year round so won’t be able to take advantage of that killer idea. if I had a cab unit you can bet I’d steal the idea. To be honest can am should probably start stealing ideas from this forum. Be a great way to stay ahead of the competition lol. 

A104B7C7-39C5-475F-BC7C-F39A16F86FC3.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Hkb82 said:

This is the roof of my non max but it gives you an idea of what will likely be under your liner. (Don’t worry I switched those white zips for black ones on the roll cage) There are molded screw spot locations build into the roof. Ive always thought the ones in the centre middle were for the interior lights and the others for a headliner. 
Love hunts door switches but I don’t run with doors year round so won’t be able to take advantage of that killer idea. if I had a cab unit you can bet I’d steal the idea. To be honest can am should probably start stealing ideas from this forum. Be a great way to stay ahead of the competition lol. 

A104B7C7-39C5-475F-BC7C-F39A16F86FC3.jpeg

As for the light? I wired it so they can be shut off to coming on with door by adding an extra mini switch to the light itself... I don't have a 3d printer so I used hot glue to build my extension. It works great!!! As for the extra posts on the roof? I believe they are for the OEM speaker mounts... but YES, I used them to hold up my liner after mounting my speakers directly to the liner itself... you can see the screw/washer just in front of the speaker in the picture... 

20191123_101753.jpg

20200624_085830.jpg

20200624_085747.jpg

• Member ID:  166
  • Content Count:  171

Too funny you still didn’t show your light installed in the liner. I think that’s what daddy is after. I get your not a max but I’d think the max would just have a spot for a second light in the rear. 

17 minutes ago, Hkb82 said:

Too funny you still didn’t show your light installed in the liner. I think that’s what daddy is after. I get your not a max but I’d think the max would just have a spot for a second light in the rear. 

Okay okay..... hold on... see if I have one.... not really sure that shows much about placement. I'll take a picture... But as for placement? I would pull the liner.... find the two studs in the center of roof and install a couple screws in the lugs.... then take the liner and put it back in place without screwing back in.... push up on liner to locate said screws.... slice liner with small knife... PRESTO!!!! Then cut anothe small hole for the wires to pass through.... kinda hard to get exact... but the holes are say 13.5" from the front console.... Hope that helps...

20200624_085648.jpg

16222243747246699564573388022615.jpg

Thank you!  That helps alot!

I was fortunate a year ago to call every dealer in BC, and nobody had stock of what I was looking for. 
Last phone call, found the only unit in BC, and 1 of two in Canada, before everything shut down because of COVId19… it was a year ago I picked it up.  There still aren’t many for sale. 

Our only regret was, at the same time we should have bought an equal $ amount of BRP shares. 

Glad I could help... You should have a wiring terminal in the upper console to hook into. (A three lug terminal) Without looking.. I'm pretty sure that one side is switchable hot... and the other is ground. It looks as if you may even have wiring for the light on the roof harness if you have the wiper already... 

16223102739074651169401834682162.jpg

16223103340551943578565783885010.jpg

Got it done. 
Once I dropped the headliner, I could see the wiring in place for it. 

I could see where  the headliner had a mark showing where to run the wire.  

Thanks for the pics, always appreciated. 

BD

3 hours ago, Bad Daddy said:

Got it done. 
Once I dropped the headliner, I could see the wiring in place for it. 

I could see where  the headliner had a mark showing where to run the wire.  

Thanks for the pics, always appreciated. 

BD

AWESOME!!! For future reference and your year unit... you can download a manual from BRP... Pretty sure it was like 25.00 and 20.00 in ink/toner... lol But you then have a complete shop manual for your Defender. I mean I will post what I can for anyone.... But it's always nice to have the reference...

I will look into that, I have always had manuals for most toys, this one is the most complex yet.  

I don't own a trailer for it, so I will be doing most if not all of the work on it, until I do. 

I downloaded and printed off all the instructions for everything I installed, and also saved onto an iPad... no internet where we are.

Next service to complete is an oil change.   First I have to clean it, its a bit muddy...