Anyone figure out how to make steering more responsive?

HuntinTime

• Member ID:  990
  • Content Count:  2

We ride a lot of trails and I get tired of having to turn the wheel so much to get the machine to turn. I am considering adding steering quickener or possibly a new rack and pinion but I know very little about this kind of thing. Anyone have any input? 

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

The power steering is an electric assist to the manual box and assists only when the sensor senses steering input. If the electric assist is working than that is as good as it gets.

You can check into after market systems but the quicker the steering responds the more effort it takes to turn the wheel ??? Good luck.🙂

• Member ID:  990
  • Content Count:  2

Yeah I just feel like “lock to lock” is too many turns of the wheel.  Thank you for your input! 

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

I've never really had an issue with the rate of steering. I guess I understand what your concern is, but have you ever really had an issue with it? If it were a maverick you may want less rotations.... due to speed/handling... but being more of a utilitarian rig I'm not so sure it's needed. Not having all the info on the mavericks steering box, maybe it has a different ratio and can be swapped.... might be something to look into...

Again,

GOODLUCK!!!

• Member ID:  166
  • Content Count:  171

I’ve never had any issues with the steering. It turns sharper the my last utv plus if I’m feeling lazy on the wheel just punch the gas provided your not on your grass. Lol

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  1,018
  • Content Count:  25

I have a 2010 Polaris Ranger 800xp Browning Edition that was originally manual steering.  That thing was a nightmare to turn-trust me.  I added power steering and it is now very manageable (used aftermarket kit-complete bear to put in).  My 2014 Yamaha Viking has power steering and works as advertised.  

I just bought a 2021 Defender Limited and it is the Jaguar of SXS’s.  In all ways, shapes and forms.  So....the steering is wonderful.

• 2 years later...

• Member ID:  2,236
  • Content Count:  3

I cannot begin to recommend a TCP steering rack enough! That and their tie/radius rods are the first thing I do to every buggy I get.