Anyone running Aftermarket Belts ?

Praisedsteak

• Member ID:  957
  • Content Count:  8

Has anyone ran aftermarket Drive Belts with any success? I see Dayco makes them. I would be looking to install on Defender Max HD10. Cheers 

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

I use aftermarket belts all the time... Trick is to season your belts... in that you want to heat cycle them... remember ehen you need a belt you're gonna be in a pickle... and putting a NEW belt is only gonna take some life out of it right off the bat if you start smoking it ... but.... if you swap out your belt now for a new one.... and break it in nicely.... you will be all set with a "seasoned" belt in perfect condition RTG!!! I like running kevlar belts...

Joe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, A hunt 2 remember said:

I use aftermarket belts all the time... Trick is to season your belts... in that you want to heat cycle them... remember ehen you need a belt you're gonna be in a pickle... and putting a NEW belt is only gonna take some life out of it right off the bat if you start smoking it ... but.... if you swap out your belt now for a new one.... and break it in nicely.... you will be all set with a "seasoned" belt in perfect condition RTG!!! I like running kevlar belts...

Joe

Thanks Joe , if you don’t mind me asking what belt are you running ? cheers 

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

It just so happens I have two stockers right now. I like gates belts when I can find them... But Dayco makes a decent belt... real key is getting it seasoned in... nothing much too it... but nice thing about doing it while the belt on your rig is still good.... you can use it as your spare and it only requires one swap other than replacing the TORCHED BELT....

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

I am running stock belt(s) but see on the doo forum that folks are running gates Carbon and Redline, Ultimax and Gforce with good results in the Turbo 4 strokes. If you change to bigger and heavier tires a clutch kit will help you the most. You can check out a couple of threads in the builds section. 🙂

• Thanks 1

i was wondering about a clutch kit even for running tracks as much as i do.

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

I have no experience with tracks but I would imagine they're at least as hard to turn as larger heavier mud tires. Check out my post on installing an Epi kit in the builds section and if you think you could see an improvement check out some of the clutch builders and contact them yourself to see what they recommend? Typically the kit will allow a higher Rpm, increase in belt squeeze and lower belt temperature with higher load.☺️

• Like 1

• Member ID:  171
  • Content Count:  55

I just ordered a EPI Sport kit for my HD10. they recommended it for the Tracks and the riding i do. Back ordered till the end of Apr. 

Also when doing the Spring inspection I found the belt worn about 0.10" and  secondary clutch helix wearing on the roller edges so the whole thing will get changed out..... Hopefully  before Turkey season up here.😊

• Like 1

• Member ID:  972
  • Content Count:  31

The belt was a huge issue with my Polaris Ranger, hoping the Defender won’t give me the same issues.

They won't, I run mine fairly hard between plowing Lake Effect snow and working the woods it wears but never been torn up. 

• Member ID:  972
  • Content Count:  31

On 4/16/2021 at 3:58 PM, Tug Hill said:

They won't, I run mine fairly hard between plowing Lake Effect snow and working the woods it wears but never been torn up. 

Do you have a belt that you prefer or one you stay away from?

I use the OEM for the Maverick.