Extended warranty or no?

Joe_C

• Member ID:  67
  • Content Count:  35

Have pulled the trigger on a 2018 HD8 DPS at my local dealer. It came with a solid rebate but I have the option to forgo $500 of the rebate and take an additional 18 month warranty for a total of 2 years. What has everyone seen in the first 2 years with their defenders? Anyone had major warranty issues? Any suggestions would be welcomed. Would love to spend that $500 on accessories but don’t want to be left high and dry with a major defect in a year. 

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  72
  • Content Count:  14

I too just picked up a 2018 HD8, and I was able to get the dealer to give me a 5 yr additional warranty for $750. I thought this to be a no brainer. I'm usually not one to sign up for extended warranties, but 5 yrs, on top of the 1 standard and 1 for farm tax exempt, I now have 7 yrs of coverage.

1 hour ago, ZG2123 said:

I too just picked up a 2018 HD8, and I was able to get the dealer to give me a 5 yr additional warranty for $750. I thought this to be a no brainer. I'm usually not one to sign up for extended warranties, but 5 yrs, on top of the 1 standard and 1 for farm tax exempt, I now have 7 yrs of coverage.

Wow $750 for 5 years is a definite no brainer. I though $500 for 18 months was steep. I personally think can-am should do better then 6 months for what they charge. If you are going to charge top of the line prices stand behind it for longer then 6 months. Is the 5 year warranty through can am or is it an aftermarket company? Thanks for your reply 

• Member ID:  1
  • Content Count:  244

That's a tough call.  You would hope these $20,000 machines are built well enough that you wouldn't have to worry about anything going wrong.  I think for $500 you would probably sleep a little better knowing that the machine is covered just in case something happens.  

I haven't had any real issues (other then being jerky at slow speeds) with mine and it's a 2018 model.

• Member ID:  18
  • Content Count:  18

Have had no problems in first year with over 300 miles

thanks for the reply’s guys. Looking froward to picking up the machine next Saturday. 

• Member ID:  72
  • Content Count:  14

First two years are through Can Am, then the 5 yrs are through aftermarket

• Member ID:  39
  • Content Count:  54

I've had mine for 4 months but it's made it 1050 miles with no issues what so ever very good built machines 

• Member ID:  20
  • Content Count:  100

$500 for 18 months is a close call.  $750 for 5 years is a must do item.  My DPS went out at 7 months.  They covered it with their good will account because it was so new and obviously not been rode hard, but it would have been about $1300 if they didn't.

• Member ID:  5
  • Content Count:  274

I've put about 42 hours on my machine and have had it for about 6 months with no issues.

• 4 weeks later...

• Member ID:  102
  • Content Count:  51

Just picked up a 19 DefenderXP HD8 got 2years on top of the factory’s one year for $840 sounds like you guys got deals 

• 3 weeks later...

• Member ID:  69
  • Content Count:  2

Hi folks...just wondering if anyone has purchased the XT cab package...It's between the can am and a cfmoto (I know, I know)...but the cf moto comes in at $8 000 less than the can am with most of the same features. My concern about the XT HD8 cab model is the power windows...as it only comes with a 1 year warranty I'd like to know how these power options hold up to the elements...(lots of wind and rain my way)...thanks for any info...

• Member ID:  122

I picked up the extended warranty for 2yrs for $200, I figured it was a no brained for sure!!

• Member ID:  122

I bought the 2018 defender hd5 for $8400 plus $200 for th extended warranty and no tax!!

• 8 months later...

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

On 4/13/2019 at 3:59 PM, dwaynejp said:

Hi folks...just wondering if anyone has purchased the XT cab package...It's between the can am and a cfmoto (I know, I know)...but the cf moto comes in at $8 000 less than the can am with most of the same features. My concern about the XT HD8 cab model is the power windows...as it only comes with a 1 year warranty I'd like to know how these power options hold up to the elements...(lots of wind and rain my way)...thanks for any info...

I guess my question to you is, do your car windows have issues opening in the weather conditions you speak of? I have a 2019 XT Cab model and have just under 1000 miles on it. I've had NO ISSUES other than lacking power from the 550 amp stator, which has been upgraded to 850 on the 2020's. Hoping the new stator will bolt into my 2019... But for now the OEM headlights are a novelty!!! Think maybe the Can Am engineers and designers could figure out the rancher front bumper blocks nearly 50% of the light from the stock headlights. Thank goodness the 2x8" led bars mounted on the bumper blow them away at half the amperage. Then the 2x8" and 1x22" led's on the roof (pointed forward) make it dang near "high noon" any time of day....