2020 Can Am Defender Max HD10 problems

Tim

• Member ID:  913
  • Content Count:  2

•  
  • Members
  • 1 post

I have a 2020 Can Am Defender Max HD10 with enclosed cab. Most of the issues seem to be related to the very poor service dept where I bought it. Shortly after purchase we began smelling gas after the tank got below 1/4 tank. After a few weeks the gas smell happened after 1/2 tank. We took in and after 5 weeks we got it back, they put a new gas cap on it. That helped for a week, now the gas smell appears after the tank gets below 3/4 tank. Has anyone else had this problem?

• Member ID:  541
  • Content Count:  20

I had same issue. The factory had routed the gas tank air vent hoses (I think there are 2) into the cab area accidentally. It took 2 dealers to figure that one out as the first said there was no problem.

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

If you raise the box and look down at the top of the gas tank you will see a screw in top for the sender and some (black) tubing, make sure the sender cap isn't leaking first. After you can check the black hoses one is a vent hose it has a check valve in it to prevent raw fuel from being expelled as the tank is heated and shook up by riding. The other hose is an inlet hose that allows air to enter the tank as the fuel is burned to prevent the tank from going on vacuum and collapsing. 

When you smell the gas raise the box after shutting off the engine and check the sender cap, fittings and tubing to see if any are wet or leaking? Occasionally the vent valve will sound like a ballon when you let air out and strech it, this dosen't mean its bad just noisey. Check the tank to make sure its not balloning or swelling after you ride it, if it is this would point to a defective vent valve which is a cheap and easy fix.

If neither the fuel pump cap or the vent and inlet hoses are the problem you will have to trace the fuel pump pressure hose to the injectors it contains 50+ psi of pressure and there may be a slight leak in the hose, piping or connections?🙂

• 3 months later...

• Member ID:  1,085
  • Content Count:  1

We haven’t noticed a specific level of gas that we smell gas, just driving along, level trail and then we smell raw gas…then it goes. And a while later we smell it again.  Called the “service department” where we purchased the machine, and they have no answers and said they’ve never had that complaint.  Our defender is fully enclosed so we open the Windows. There must be a leak.

• 1 year later...

• Member ID:  1,691
  • Content Count:  1

I am having this same issue. Fumes so bad it gives me a headache even with all the windows open and vented. Fuel level used to be about 1/4 but now it doesn’t seem to make a difference what level. I can get it to go away by releasing pressure on fuel cap. Smell is definitely coming through window vent. I’m going to have my husband check the vent hoses. We have checked for leaks as we do all of our own service on all the machines we own. 

• 2 months later...

• Member ID:  1,030
  • Content Count:  47

just started noticing this problem also in our 2020 defender now that i put the doors back on. Going to have to check afew things out i guess

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  759
  • Content Count:  107

Has anyone figured this out yet? We have a 2020 Max HD10, and get the same. 
The fuel sender is also malfunctioning now… and with winter approaching, I like to know how much fuel I have when out on the trails, especially when we have the tracks on.