Reremove dashboard in order to install rocker switches

• Member ID:  48
  • Content Count:  2

Sorry for such a simple question..... on my HD8, how do I remove the dashboard in order to wire up some rocker switches? Any installation instructions for accessories that I have found, seem to assume knowledge on how to remove the small plastic dashboard.

Bye, and thanks,

:classic_wink:

• Member ID:  18
  • Content Count:  18

It pops out ..if you can reach behind it you can push on back of it 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

• Member ID:  108
  • Content Count:  13

I have similar question. I want to get wiring access to the rocker switches on the left side, but the dash and the small storage compartment get in the way. Keen to find some guides on how to remove correctly

Edited by Ben

• Member ID:  39
  • Content Count:  54

U can remove the tilt cubby on the left side ... just squeeze the bottom posts that allow it to tilt and it pops out and then u have access up to ur left side switch panel and as for center switch panel it's open underneath it and u can access it quite easily... flip ur center and passenger seats up and lay on floor board and ull be looking right up at it 

• Like 1

On 4/1/2019 at 2:08 PM, Stapleton said:

U can remove the tilt cubby on the left side ... just squeeze the bottom posts that allow it to tilt and it pops out and then u have access up to ur left side switch panel and as for center switch panel it's open underneath it and u can access it quite easily... flip ur center and passenger seats up and lay on floor board and ull be looking right up at it 

Thanks Stapleton. Will give that a go. I now need to work out the correct wires to connect into. Do you know of any good 'beginner' info/guides for this? Or a wiring diagram?

• Member ID:  105
  • Content Count:  20

Right behind/under the switches is an electrical block that has a black cap that covers the positive and negative connections.  There are three connections on the block.  One is the negative (outside black one), the other two are positive (red ones).  The center is hot even with key off if I remember correctly.  The outside red one is hot with the key on.

If you have a heater, you need to loosen 4 nuts and pivot it out of the way to access the electrical block.  I would recommend adding a second block that is between the heater and the steering column (if you have a heater), just in case you have to add additional electrical switches later.

• Like 1

Awesome thanks

• 7 months later...

• Member ID:  282
  • Content Count:  12

On 4/8/2019 at 9:09 PM, Jerry said:

Right behind/under the switches is an electrical block that has a black cap that covers the positive and negative connections.  There are three connections on the block.  One is the negative (outside black one), the other two are positive (red ones).  The center is hot even with key off if I remember correctly.  The outside red one is hot with the key on.

If you have a heater, you need to loosen 4 nuts and pivot it out of the way to access the electrical block.  I would recommend adding a second block that is between the heater and the steering column (if you have a heater), just in case you have to add additional electrical switches later.

You just saved me a ton of time, thank you.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  242
  • Content Count:  126

I’ll change out that odd-ball switch on the end as soon as it arrives... Hey, I also considered moving all of my lights over to the left hand side (alongside the headlights) and putting the winch control on the right (near the 4x4 and rear locker switch).  I never use it anyway because I have a plow joystick and I suppose if I ever need the space that the winch switch will be the first to go. -Mark

18A0FC1C-8B74-4BC3-9C9E-5081FC374845.jpeg

• Member ID:  282
  • Content Count:  12

On 11/28/2019 at 8:10 AM, Mark in Colorado said:

I’ll change out that odd-ball switch on the end as soon as it arrives... Hey, I also considered moving all of my lights over to the left hand side (alongside the headlights) and putting the winch control on the right (near the 4x4 and rear locker switch).  I never use it anyway because I have a plow joystick and I suppose if I ever need the space that the winch switch will be the first to go. -Mark

18A0FC1C-8B74-4BC3-9C9E-5081FC374845.jpeg

Thanks for the help

• 4 months later...

• Member ID:  193
  • Content Count:  31

Is there an easy way to remove stock switches from the dash without breaking tabs?

• Member ID:  242
  • Content Count:  126

Yes - that entire bank of 5 switches will pop out, easily.  Just don’t do it if your machine is cold.  There are tabs that you can pry past with a flat edged tool (big screwdriver worked for me).  The material is relatively soft, so you can pry it as long as it is warm. If it’s cold you run the risk of snapping the tabs.  -Mark

• 4 weeks later...

• Member ID:  415
  • Content Count:  2

On 4/3/2020 at 1:03 PM, Mark in Colorado said:

Yes - that entire bank of 5 switches will pop out, easily.  Just don’t do it if your machine is cold.  There are tabs that you can pry past with a flat edged tool (big screwdriver worked for me).  The material is relatively soft, so you can pry it as long as it is warm. If it’s cold you run the risk of snapping the tabs.  -Mark

Can you tell me someone how to get new wires through the fire wall? I have a few to run, then also what are the extra white wires under the hood where are the other ends to those?