clutch separation

thrude1

• Member ID:  701
  • Content Count:  20

bought a clutch kit for my defender eager to get it installed watched a few videos figured this looks doable (I'm no mechanic but handy with tools) I for the life of me can not get the to halfs of the primary separated all the videos say to hit the puller tool with a hammer a few time and bam magically they separate I'm at the 1 hour mark of swinging without this thing budging switching to beer for the rest of the night I'll tackle this in the am if anyone on here has any suggestions 

1603512732000969883185793838812.jpg

Edited by thrude1

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

The first time seems to be the most difficult but you have to hold the clutch in the air with your left hand under the top sheave (just off the bench) when you strike the puller bolt with a hammer so that the impact from the hammer will work the bottom half loose. Works better with a heavier hammer and a smaller swing. Before you seperate the two halfs take a marker pen and mark the position of the inner governor cup vs the top half and straight across to the sheave half, that way you will be reassembling the clutch with close to factory balance, once you remove the top sliding half (making sure not to loose any slider buttons or O rings) be sure to mark your primary spring holder the same way and I made sure to make a piece of cardboard with holes in it so that I put the original bolts (4) back in the same holes. If it won't come get some help to hold the clutch while you strike the puller bolt with a hammer.🤔

• Member ID:  701
  • Content Count:  20

I ended up calling the closest can am dealer about 45mins away they got it separated didnt even charge me took the 10 min