2024 6x6 limited fire

AKrhodes907

Question

• Member ID:  2,316
  • Content Count:  3

Hello all, new here. I purchased my first defender a couple weeks ago. I picked it up on a Tuesday evening, took it for a couple rides with the kids that evening and then took it for a ride the next day on Wednesday down to my mailbox. A few hundred feet before my mailbox my battery light came on so I pulled up the voltage and it was at 10.1, when I got to my mailbox and started backing up it was down to 9.4 then it shutoff. I tried to restart a couple time then got out and noticed a fire under the bed right behind the passenger side of the cab. Didn’t have an extinguisher in it yet so by the time I got to one it was fully engulfed. Can am came back last week and isn’t going to cover it. Just wanting to see if anyone has any idea on what could’ve happened or if anyone has had the same issue and got it put out. 

IMG_5824.jpeg

IMG_5826.jpeg

IMG_5830.jpeg

6 answers to this question

• Member ID:  2,026
  • Content Count:  45

I would be talking to my dealer or the state Attorney General to get answers. Did you have insurance on it?

20 minutes ago, dirtco said:

I would be talking to my dealer or the state Attorney General to get answers. Did you have insurance on it?

Yes, I had just got the insurance on it the morning before it caught fire

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

You must have had an electrical short and on my machine the gas tank is on the passenger side so not a good place. First I have seen posted about a Can am fire. Sorry to see your new ride destroyed.

Was this a new machine if yes how would Can am not even inspect it prior to denying warranty or was it your dealer?🤔

4 hours ago, Andystoy19 said:

You must have had an electrical short and on my machine the gas tank is on the passenger side so not a good place. First I have seen posted about a Can am fire. Sorry to see your new ride destroyed.

Was this a new machine if yes how would Can am not even inspect it prior to denying warranty or was it your dealer?🤔

It was brand new, a 2024. Can am is claiming it is not a manufacturer defect but can not tell what started the fire. 

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

If you have been dealing with the dealer and not Canam directly you may want to reach out to BRP care, I don't have the link but you should be able to find it and see what they say??🤔

• Member ID:  2,026
  • Content Count:  45

are there any settlements with your fire yet?