Light bar install question (help!!)

• Member ID:  702
  • Content Count:  7

I recently bought a 21.5 inch Open Trail dual row light bar for my 2018 Defender HD10 XT.  I initially installed it on the roof, but noticed as I was driving the light was vibrating and moving around like crazy and is driving me nuts! It dang near will give you motion sickness seeing the light bouncing around everywhere, it is especially bad on gravel roads. So, now my thought is move it to the front of the machine and put it on the bumper. But, with the slight curvature of the bumper, (it is original OEM) I am not sure how to make it work? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I hate to spend the money on the light bar and not be able to use it.  

Thanks!

JW

• Member ID:  330
  • Content Count:  123

What I did with my light bar is put it on the roof in the front of the machine, being careful to not protrude into the wiper when the windshield is up, and drilled a hole right through the plastic roof into the steel of the roll cage, stacked washers between the roof and the roll cage so I could snug it up with distorting the roof and then using bolts to tighten everything down. 

56D11E71-F56A-4FBA-A5AF-511CFD837FCD.jpeg

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

Same as above, the light bar needs to be anchored to the steel to remain solid.🙂

• 5 weeks later...

• Member ID:  702
  • Content Count:  7

Thanks for the input. I ended up moving it to the bumper. It is much better now. 

62586323273__54329DCD-0FA2-4297-A4AC-E95F29369D07.jpg

• Member ID:  766
  • Content Count:  1

Hello everyone,

I just recently committed to a 2021 Defender Max Limited. I am also looking into my options for lighting.

Specifically looking to see if there are any roof/pillar mounted full width light bar kits available? I am told by the dealer that there currently is not a factory option. 

Thanks in advance,

Rod

• Member ID:  338
  • Content Count:  265

50" or 52" will span the whole front width of the machine. You can get the GS mounts for Jeeps from Amazon to attach the bar to the cage pillars, may need to trim the roof corners or modify the brackets to work with flip up glass with wipers.