First Oil Change and Service?

Dragoon

• Member ID:  5
  • Content Count:  274

When is everyone performing their first oil change on an HD10 Defender Max? As far as I can tell the manual just says to change the oil every 200 hours. I'm surprised they don't recommend a shorter service interval for the first service. On cars and trucks, I usually do my first service at about 500 miles just to flush out any shavings that might be in the fluids from break-in. I'm thinking that 50 hours should be a good first service just to be on the safe side?

• Member ID:  20
  • Content Count:  100

I haven't changed mine yet but it isn't quite a year old.  The manual does cut the service interval in half if you operate in dusty or muddy conditions which is defiantly what I have.  It say 100hrs for oil and 200 hours for gear box and differential.  I'll probably just make it a yearly event and change all 3 at the same time.  Changing the 1st one early can't hurt.

Yeah, all the dealers around here recommended 100 hours as well. Probably, just to get more service work 😉

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting close to doing the 1st oil change.  Interesting how much more it is to go with can am oil.  I think I'm going aftermarket but full synthetic.

Aftermarket

Front diff oil 75-90  $      16.23 Lucas oil oreilly-1qts
gear box oil 75-140  $      25.37 super tech walmart-2qts
gear box plug o ring  $        3.30 cheapcycle parts
oil filter  $        9.99 cheapcycle parts
oil filter o ring  $        2.49 cheapcycle parts
oil plug o ring  $        3.30 cheapcycle parts
engine oil 5w-40  $      23.90 quicksilver UTV walmart-3qts
   $      84.58  

OEM    
Front diff oil 75-90  $      23.99 amazon xps 1 qt
gear box oil 75-140  $      59.38 amazon xps 2 qts
gear box plug o ring  $        3.30 cheapcycle parts
oil filter  $        9.99 cheapcycle parts
oil filter o ring  $        2.49 cheapcycle parts
oil plug o ring  $        3.30 cheapcycle parts
engine oil 5w-40  $      65.70 amazon-xps summer blend 3 qts
   $     168.15  

IMG_20190127_112502841.jpg

• Like 3

Wow, I never realized how much more expensive the OEM fluids are :classic_blink:

Seems to me like going aftermarket full-synthetic would be the way to go. Unless you had an issue with the machine and Can-Am tried to blame it on the aftermarket fluids?

I would guess they can't blame it on the oil as long as it meets the spec lifted in the manual,which all of these do.  And since I'm changing yearly and only have about 600 miles on it I can't imagine the oils ever being an issue in that small an interval.  

Yeah, it wouldn't hold me back from switching to full-synthetic. 

• Member ID:  39
  • Content Count:  54

I dont know about can-am but my cousin traded in his ranger 800 crew for his hd10 max ... but while he had his polaris it blew up during his extended warranty that he paid for ... and after taking it to the local dealer ship to be rebuilt or replaced they sent samples of the oil to Polaris to be tested and although it came back good oil the called for weight and serviced as it shoulda of been it was not polaris brand oil so Polaris denied warranty on it and they stuck it up his a** ... so he outta pocket paid for a rebuilt motor swapped it at home and traded it in on the right decision... so until my warranty is up I'll be runnin can-am brand threw everything no matter the cost 

That's pretty sorry that they took your Cousins money for an extended warranty and didn't honor it.  Good reason to change to Can Am.  I actually had a good experience with Can Am.  My DPS went out at 7 months and I had a 6 month warranty.  Can Am replaced it at no cost because they said it shouldn't have gone out that soon even though they legally didn't have to.  I'll certainly keep that in mind when buying future products and likely go with Can Am again. 

As far as the oil is concerned there is certainly nothing wrong with using the manufactures oil and is not that much more if gives you piece of mind and ensures your warranty is in force.  In my Seadoos I run the XPS oil and wouldn't think about using anything else because of the super high rpms those things run at and high potential for a blown engine.   In my defender it doesn't really feel like there is much chance of a blown engine or torn up gear box , mainly because of how I use it, but everyone is different on where and how they drive theirs.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the first oil change done.  The front differential looked brand new.  The engine oil looked like it needed a change but not too bad.  Had metal particles on drain plug and oil filter had some as well.  These looked more like they were from it being a new engine as some of them were long and narrow like thread cuttings but there were also flakes in the oil filter.  Gearcase oil looked pretty good but the magnetic drain plug  was completely full of metallic sludge which looked like it was more from wear and tear than being new.  The rear vehicle speed sensor was also recommended to be cleaned so i did.  It had a few metal particles stuck to it but not too bad.  The vehicle speed sensor and the front differential fill plug are very difficult to remove and reinstall.  If you don't have a winch the front diff may not be that bad.  I have 600 miles on mine and about 80 hrs.  After looking at the oil I'm leaning more toward agreeing with the dealer and changing them early, maybe at 40 to 50 hrs to get that metal out of there,  at least for the engine oil and the gear case. The front diff looks like it could have gone longer.

Wow, good to know! I just hit 40 hours on mine so I better get some new fluids in her. 

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  105
  • Content Count:  20

Found this data for fluids on Amsoil web site which you may find useful for knowing capacities of the various fluids.

https://www.amsoil.com/lookup/utv/2018/can-am/defender-hd10/976/us-volume/