Alignment/steering pull

JEREMY

• Member ID:  19
  • Content Count:  1

Going 5 mph or 40mph gets a hard pull to left. Wheel wants to turn itself... it is lifted but never had this problem before . Any help? 

• Member ID:  20
  • Content Count:  100

I would check the DPS Steering system.  Mine was doing the same.  Jack up the front of the machine with wheels off the ground, point wheels straight ahead and turn the key on.  If your steering wheel turns by itself then the DPS needs to be reset to center.  This can only be done by the dealer with their buds software unfortunately.  If the DPS isn't the issue then you may need to manually align the front wheels or you have differing tire pressure that's causing it.

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  5
  • Content Count:  274

I think Mark nailed it! If you can't visibly see any loose steering components and the tire pressure is correct all the way around then it is most likely the DPS steering system. 

• 1 year later...

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

On 12/31/2018 at 7:50 AM, Mark said:

I would check the DPS Steering system.  Mine was doing the same.  Jack up the front of the machine with wheels off the ground, point wheels straight ahead and turn the key on.  If your steering wheel turns by itself then the DPS needs to be reset to center.  This can only be done by the dealer with their buds software unfortunately.  If the DPS isn't the issue then you may need to manually align the front wheels or you have differing tire pressure that's causing it.

That is correct, other than not just dealers have buds units... I have one and I'm not a dealer. Not cheap, but when you play as hard as I do.... You need to have the SPECIALTY tools. I don't need the dealer anymore... other than warranty work that THEY DON'T WARRANTY!!! But even beyond the glitches it fixes.... I can now add tunes to the ECU... I also made a custom greeting at start up... "Welcome Big Daddy... LET'S GO!!!" Nothing special, but a pretty cool tidbit... I'm also able to specify which tire size is on Bear and it changes the clutching on its own... made a huge difference in bottom end pep!! Haven't even scratched the surface of its worth yet.... but I'm sure I'll get the rest figured out.

Edited by A hunt 2 remember

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  691

Good to hear that you are happy with Buds, I checked into buying the package but was told by the seller that there was  $120 per year licensing charge and I am having trouble justifying that additional cost even though I have 7 units I could use it on.

Interesting that you feel you have a better bottom end after correcting for tire size. I know that will correct the speedometer and perhaps the Ecm will be able to provide better timing and fuel based on the new info but does not change the base program. You should be able to add a bit of initial timing but that is limited to a couple of degrees as well. It's my understanding that reprogramming the base program can be done by folks who are able to get into the base program and make line by line changes, such as Monster Fi and others which requires reflashing the Ecm.

As far as clutching that is strictly mechanical and requires making changes to the primary and secondary such as changing springs  and or helix to change the shift rate to better suit your mods.

I have a call into a friend who has worked on the Brp equipment since 1996 to make sure I haven't misstated anything about Buds or it's ability to make changes?🤔

4 hours ago, Andystoy19 said:

Good to hear that you are happy with Buds, I checked into buying the package but was told by the seller that there was  $120 per year licensing charge and I am having trouble justifying that additional cost even though I have 7 units I could use it on.

Interesting that you feel you have a better bottom end after correcting for tire size. I know that will correct the speedometer and perhaps the Ecm will be able to provide better timing and fuel based on the new info but does not change the base program. You should be able to add a bit of initial timing but that is limited to a couple of degrees as well. It's my understanding that reprogramming the base program can be done by folks who are able to get into the base program and make line by line changes, such as Monster Fi and others which requires reflashing the Ecm.

As far as clutching that is strictly mechanical and requires making changes to the primary and secondary such as changing springs  and or helix to change the shift rate to better suit your mods.

I have a call into a friend who has worked on the Brp equipment since 1996 to make sure I haven't misstated anything about Buds or it's ability to make changes?🤔

I'm not saying that it made more HP.. Just saying it seems more responsive after the tire size correction. 

I guess my wording was off. Should have stated that Bear seems more responsive on the bottom end. But, as for the original post, the unit worked great for resetting the DPS unit, that is if it meets the perimeters set forth in the manual. Which mine met and reset perfectly. As for the 120.00 a year? I feel by not having to hit the dealer for every change I make is worth that. Plan on having a couple different tunes toswap between. Here in Oregon we can ride from 0'-2500' one weekend and 4000'-6000' the next. Being able to fine tune him will be just another thing to tinker with... But that's me. I like being in charge of my own toys... Besides, haven't been all that confident in my "first line" of support.... lol... 

Heck, should have spotted Jeremy was a one post wonder... dang near 2 years ago... lol. He probably got it figured out by now

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  691

Its all good thanks for the update.😉

• 1 year later...

• Member ID:  1,550
  • Content Count:  2

On 12/31/2018 at 9:50 AM, Mark said:

I'll have to try that on mine, has done that since new in 2018.  Dealer checked tires/air psi, scratched their heads and said....maybe it'll clear up on it's own.  Had contacted corporate, but they were worthless and defaulted To dealer evaluation,  which was also worthless.  Still does it today, 4 years later. Maybe I should be happy my front end doesn't make noise, like I've seen on the forum!