Surging?

GB20

• Member ID:  600
  • Content Count:  25

New 2020 1000XT this thing constantly surge's, at higher speeds it kinda smooths out but it's still there. Thing is I don't run at higher speeds so this is very annoying! Anyone else have this issue?

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

I'm not sure what you mean by surging? If you watch the tach do you see the engine RPM changing while you hold a constant foot pedal position? If you have the 3 mode engine switch change to work mode and see if that helps?

Does your engine RPM remain constant and your clutches shift up and down causing you to feel a change in speed? If what you describe is when you first start out at engagement it may be normal and may smooth out as your belt and clutch surfaces break in? 🤔

It is at all speeds...it will kinda... smooth out at higher speeds. Sometimes I feel like a bobblehead just cruising down the road... For the most part RPMs stay fairly consistent, really hard to say for sure while trying to keep my foot steady along with h the surging going on. And apparently my 3 mode switch does not seem to work! When changing modes I feel nor hear any difference in power or performance...I'm well aware of the clutch engagement & shifting, I've had about 10 belt driven toys...No chance I have smoked the belt either...it's been all road use with easy going. Thanks for your concern! This is driving me nuts!

The 3 mode switch doesn't have a huge response but when you click the guage you will see the mode scroll across your screen, the reason I suggested the work mode is because it tones down your foot pedal response to reduce jerkiness when going over uneven surfaces. If you feel that the work mode doesn't affect the surging it may be something that requires a trip to the dealer to see if you have an accelerator code, fuel pressure etc. or if a spring or clutch button has broken in the CVT secondary? It might even be a faulty spark plug, injector etc. which the dealer should be able to find. Good luck.🙂

1 hour ago, Andystoy19 said:

The 3 mode switch doesn't have a huge response but when you click the guage you will see the mode scroll across your screen, the reason I suggested the work mode is because it tones down your foot pedal response to reduce jerkiness when going over uneven surfaces. If you feel that the work mode doesn't affect the surging it may be something that requires a trip to the dealer to see if you have an accelerator code, fuel pressure etc. or if a spring or clutch button has broken in the CVT secondary? It might even be a faulty spark plug, injector etc. which the dealer should be able to find. Good luck.🙂

Thanks...your response is appreciated! When I bought it, all I did was drive it across the parking lot over to my trailer. When I got it home after a few miles I noticed it would not shift into 4W & none of the rocker switch's were lite up. Come to find out it had blown fuse, replaced the fuse....but it has acted funny ever since I brought it home..not good. Also realized my dealer is closed today which is 2.5 hours away. Anyway is there away I can pull the codes? Thanks again!

My understanding is that if its a permanent code it may light up one of your dash lights like the check engine light etc. If none of those are on than it may have some codes in memory that do not display without Buds and I don't have a copy of the Can am codes and don't know where you could find a listing. If it blew a fuse when almost new (was it the 40 amp fuse which feeds the whole accessory terminal) I would suspect that it had to have been bad wiring or a sensor that is affecting how your engine performs, with the dealer 2.5 hrs. away that will be an expensive checkout trip. Let us know what the fix is when your dealer fixes it. 🤔

It was a 20 amp fuse...now that you mention it, does seem like a lean surge.. sometimes it will also pop...like a small back fire when getting off the throttle..which reminds me of a lean fuel condition? Stay tuned, when I find out I'll definitely post the dealers findings. Thanks again

• Member ID:  405
  • Content Count:  45

My HD8 surges lightly as well. I feel it the most when driving at a constant speed on a smooth road mostly. Yes, I agree that the fuel system is calibrated to run lean in order to meet EPA standards.