How would you feel if this happened to you?

Battlehawk

• Member ID:  581
  • Content Count:  3

Ok, I could go either way on this experience, but am interested in others opinions.

I bought a brand new 2020 Defender XT 2 weeks ago, super excited. It was delayed due to windshield shipping issues so I decided to just pick it up and bring it back next week for install. Finished the transaction with finance and sales manager brings it around and shows me functions and bells and whistles and everything is great until it’s started.
When we look at miles it read in the low 30s and the clock said about 3.4 hours and the max speed was 58 The Sales Manager mentioned oh yeah, I forgot that the owner took this one to shuttle the family around the race track.  I mentioned that I was concerned that I will never know if it was treated right during the break in and I know for sure he maxed the speed out. He just downplayed it and the place was closing

On the one hand it was just 30+ miles, but on the other I just paid 17k for a new rig and it was now a demo.

Would this bug you?

What would you do?

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

If you can find another machine that you like from another dealer get a price on it and see if it's competitive, if yes you can now tell your dealer that you are unhappy with the deal and plan to return the machine unless they offer something to satisfy you. If you can't find another machine see if your dealer will offer you an extended warranty at his cost.

You are correct in that the sales guy was not honest with you, that is why I would ask for the extended warranty as I suspect it was demonstrated by some one and returned. 😉

Thanks Andy,  the Sales Manager admitted that the owner used it, but the conversation was after the sale, Right when we were loading it and as they were closing and he had another customer waiting for him. 
I like your approach as an extended warranty would help mitigate. It strikes me that they (in essence) rented it from me for a day, but in addition to the cost of a rental, you also know the renter wasn’t taking proper care of it during the break in period And so for many it would have lost more value than even a days rental would.

i guess I’m not as on the fence as I thought.

• Member ID:  323
  • Content Count:  50

It wouldn't bother me unless you thought it would go faster?  Is it an HD8? If it is, that is probably the correct top speed.  Otherwise, what are you worried about? Have you ever seen a salesman test drive with a customer.  It was probably driven kinder at the racetrack than 30 miles at a dealership.

So I had them installing the windshield I bought and I asked the service manager why the manual said to stay under 3/4 throttle during the break in period. He said “cuz of heavy wear on you engine, you want to baby it during that first 200 miles” . What bugs me more than anything is that they did not give me a choice. They waited until after the papers were signed and then told me about it.  No discount, nothing.  I wrote them a note breaking down my points and the Sales Manager said he understood. I told them what was fair was an extended warranty to cover it just in case. They offered to knock $200 off the cost. This just doesn’t sit well. I bought a new defender and received an abused one. Shouldn’t I have had that choice. It just feels wrong for a $17k investment.

your thoughts are appreciated

• 7 months later...

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

Well, first off let me say I GET IT... But, as per break in.... the rig should be pampered yes... but not SO PAMPERED that it glazes over the rings and causes other issues... One should drive it moderately with BURSTS of power... This will help setting the rings... it should NOT be limited to ONLY slow driving....  As for 30 miles.... that's nothing really... maybe you can look at it as though someone got you 30 miles closer to a broke in machine ready for FULL TIME ACTION.

Just a thought.... as for an extended warranty??? HELL, THEY DON'T WARRANTY DAMN NEAR ANYTHING ANYWAYS!!! They didn't cover the window swiychrs that went out under 500 miles... and the front diff that is known junk??? NO WARRANTY..... So.... in my eyes I'd have rather taken the 200 cash!!! 

Good luck,

Joe and Bear