G'day from Nunavik

AlbinoRhino

• Member ID:  357
  • Content Count:  14

so I posted first but good day. my name is Chad, I live in Nunavik which is the Canadian Arctic though it is Northern Quebec not Nunavut as most think of.

I've had horrible luck with both BRP products I have now purchase since moving up here. 

Bought a 2020 Ski-Doo Expedition LX 600 Ace which had a faulty oil pump since there was water in the oil when it arrived up here and at -52 degrees you can guess what happened and a 2018 Defender hd5 which was still brand new with zero kilometres on it at our warehouse in Winnipeg which came up had two hours Put on the engine and then it popped backfired and threw up the check engine light and as I was tinkering I did find lots of wood chips and pine cones in the engine compartment as well as many rusted parts and rusted bolts. I still love both my BRP machines but I'm still really wishing I had bought something that I understood the engines more on than the rotax so when stuff like this happened I wasn't as out in the lurch. That being said I can't wait to get them both working properly so that I can get some nice pictures out on the tundra

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

Hi Chad, welcome to the forum, I am from Alberta and have worked on King Christian Island, Meighan and a couple of others. we used to fly through Yellowknife, Resolute etc. I haven't been over to the eastern Arctic that is north of Quebec etc. Beautiful country during the short summer but tough for the rest of the year.

It sounds to me like your dealer should have taken the time to service the machine(s) to make sure they were running properly before shipping them up to you especially one that has been stored a couple of years. If you found pine cones etc under the hood you probably had squirrels and or mice under there so they may have chewed some of the insulation on the wiring which would result in the sensors not working properly.

Good luck with the repairs and I hope that you don't have ethanol in your gasoline as it tends to absorb water if standing for a long time in your gas tank or even in a storage tank. If you do I would suggest that you bring in some fuel stabilizer that should help you with water in the fuel.🙂

• Member ID:  357
  • Content Count:  14

Yes I'm having a lot of fun fighting with my company's Motorsports division they are trying their best to try and say it's tampering which is fine since I don't have any trees anywhere near me like anywhere hell I can drive for a full 24 hours and still not hit trees

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

You might ask them to have a chat with their squirrels and ask them not to chew the wiring when they take up residents in the quads sitting outside but they likely won't take the hint.😏

• 3 weeks later...

• Member ID:  1
  • Content Count:  245

Welcome to the forum Chad!  Sucks to hear about the issues.  I've had my Defender 2 years now with zero problems.  I'm in the exact opposite conditions though.. Nearly 20 days of 100+ degree weather.