CHECK DPS no power steering

Woodrow

• Member ID:  498
  • Content Count:  3

Does the power steering go out to alarm you when you have a CHECK DPS alarm or is it throwing  an alarm because I’m having problems with my power steering? This has been an issue for me from the beginning. Took it to the dealer and they said it’s fine just needs to be reset. Of course that was about a month before warranty was up too. Dealership treated me a little bit differently after I bought it.

Thanks in advance . I’ve never mudded my Lonestar nor abused it. I will run fast for a period of time here in there on these long country dirt roads.

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

The two most common problems with the DPS appear to be low battery voltage (as you mentioned) and internal over heat from excessive use and maybe the hot temperatures that you ride in? 

If you have already checked your battery voltage at idle (12.6 vdc) and at about 4000 RPM (14.6 vdc) if the battery is fully charged than your charging system is okay. Check the ground to the DPS as a poor ground will cause problems. Does your engine RPM display properly in your guage? If the RPM becomes erractic it may affect the ECM which provides input to the DPS.

If your battery/charging system checks out and the voltage at idle is not below 12 vdc than I would still check the system ground but I would suspect that your electric power assist motor is getting hot (especially if the message doesn't appear until you have been riding for a while). The system reduces the amount of assist you get until the temperature drops down enough to allow more assist. If the DPS hasn't failed completely (no power steering) you may have an assist motor that has a problem and over heats prematurely. Since you returned the unit to the dealer for the same problem when on warranty I would plead my case with the dealer and see if he can get your DPS repaired by Canam good will on warranty?

Another check would be to raise the front end off the ground and blocked safely, start the engine and slowly rotate the steering from center to left and center to right and see if the wheels go lock to lock without obstruction or change in steering effort, if yes the mechanical part of the steering is good, if no you may have a problem in the steering box, the the ball jts. linkage etc. Good luck let us know what you find out?🤔

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  498
  • Content Count:  3

Thanks Andy. I will check all these tomorrow and let you know what I find out.

• Member ID:  166
  • Content Count:  171

Agree with also going back to the dealer. I’d still like you try and see if it’s an easy fix to save time and keep it in my garage but if it turns out to be major issue the dealer should still help you out. Especially since it has been in to the shop during warranty for this same issue that was never fixed by the sounds of it. If the dealer is not willing to help out just send corporate a quick email asking why this is being ignored. I have had great service for the most part from can am. You gotta figure the sales guys are going to be a bit more friendly then the service guys. One gets the Customer when he’s all excited and buying his new toy the other gets the customer when it’s broken down and he needs parts or service. Building a good relationship with the parts guy goes along way in my opinion. 

• 11 months later...

• Member ID:  1,069
  • Content Count:  2

Iam seem to be have the same issue lately , it seems while travelling the power steering is not working as is seems to be a drag and resistance .it started suddenly..Iam wonder if the ground is my issue as I was moving in deep water the weekend before ,is there a ground that the Dps is connected to directly? I may have broken a wire or something.

thanks in advance for any info 

Bill