Engine not idling down

Shane

• Member ID:  465
  • Content Count:  1

So when I remove my foot from the gas pedal and intend to coast to a stop, the RPMs come down and hang at about 2000 and the machine keeps moving.  I have to stomp the brake and basically cause the engine to lug down to make it come to a complete stop.  Which means ive basically wore out my front brake pads already.  Any thoughts?

2017 HD10

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

Sounds like it could be a TPS (Throttle position sensor) or an engine speed sensor but a BUDS scan will point you in the right direction, probably cheaper than replacing parts to find it?😉

• Member ID:  166
  • Content Count:  171

I’d be thinking it’s the throttle position sensor also. I’d inspect around the gas pedal to make sure nothing is getting hung up or no sticks or rocks have gotten stuck. Give it a spray of g96 lol

The part about stomping the brakes to bring the idle down is pretty weird though. I guess if you had something blocking or  f ing with the tps the idle would not drop no matter how hard you push the breaks.  As Andy said buds might be your best bet aside from inspecting what you can. Maybe try it in neutral just to see if it drops rpms like  normal or if it still hangs up at 2000 If so try using your hand and watch that  the pedal is working as it should. 

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

The ITC system is a 3 part system: TAS (throttle accelerator sensor), ETA (electronic throttle actuator) and the TPS (throttle position sensor). The ETA opens and closes the throttle plate, the TPS monitors the percent open of the throttle body and the TAS is part of the accelerator pedal module. I haven't worked on these but the gas pedal will have a wire going to the engine compartment, check to see that the wire is properly connected so that it is able to send the correct signal. I would wiggle the connection and if it appears loose, make sure that the connector is clean and plug it back together.

The ECM uses the TAS signal to open and close the throttle plate and the TPS info is used to provide the proper fuel mixture. The engine speed sensor sends the RPM info to the ECM to manage the idle etc. This is a bit above my pay grade and why I suggested a BUDS scan which should point to the problem sensor or part of the system to check?🤔

• 1 year later...

• Member ID:  1,111
  • Content Count:  1

Having the same exact trouble. Was you able to figure it out?

• 1 year later...

• Member ID:  1,949
  • Content Count:  2

Has anyone figured this one out? Mine does the same thing. The dealer wants to keep my ride until they can “squeeze it in”. 

• 3 weeks later...

• Member ID:  1,949
  • Content Count:  2

Fixed it!!!

mine would stay at 2k rpm in forward and reverse. After letting off the throttle.

Check your clutches and belt.  This is going to sound weird… Mine was doing the same thing. What I found…The secondary clutch rollers were broken. I replace the secondary rollers and belt, and the high idle stopped… along with clutch hop.  

I don’t know the reasoning …all I know is that it fixed all of my issues by changing the rollers and belt.