Voltage Regulator fails on the 2020 Defender Max Limited

Toolboy

• Member ID:  323
  • Content Count:  50

Unfortunately my 2020 Defender Max Limited is out of service.  It has been down for the last month and likely to be for another couple weeks.  Apparently the voltage regulator gave out, which ruined the battery.  The replacement battery came damaged so it took another 10 days to get another from BRP.  After that we finally had to take it in and found out that the voltage regulator went bad.  This is where it gets really sad.  It is backordered and when it finally makes it to the Quebec warehouse it will likely be another 2 1/2 weeks to get to my dealer. 

The dealer I talked to said if my SxS was a Polaris Ranger he would have almost guaranteed the problem would be the voltage regulator.  Apparently for some reason this component is a weak link in both manufacturers machines.  To be clear, I have no big electrical draw items on the machine, nor have never winched.  I hope that this does not become a problem component but the fact that it is backordered speaks volumes about the demand for this component.  My dealer found another American dealer that showed that it had the part but they would not give it up, apparently they have gone through this before.  If mine goes out again under warranty, I guess I will I will have to carry a spare with me so I feel I can go on trips with the defender.  Hopefully the failure on my machine was a fluke but I really doubt it.

I was curious if others had their voltage regulator go out.  Mine made it 5 months and 600 miles, not a very good showing.

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

Sorry to hear that you had a voltage regulator problem, I wonder if it is different than the previous ones (850W VS 650w) charging system? This is the first time I have seen that problem posted on this forum so I don't think its been a big problem with the 2019 and earlier machines. It sounds like the regulator permitted a very high charging voltage that damaged the battery. The normal voltage should be 12.5v to 15v maximum depending on engine speed and the state of charge of the battery. 

When you get your battery and regulator replaced it would be interesting to see what voltage you see at the battery with a voltmeter at idle and 4000 RPM, it should not exceed 15 volts. It might also be a bad ground somewhere check the various grounds to make sure none are loose or damaged??🤔

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

Definitely SUCKS!!! I'm with Andy... I've not heard of the problem, nor have I experienced it and I TAX MY SYSTEM..... Actually to a point that I've figured out if I use my OEM lighting with my LEDs (so i can see) and my other electronics i hit a point my charging system STUMBLES.... But, by not using the OEM lights I stay within my limits.... SCHWEW!!!

I checked the Can am parts and it appears that the voltage regulators are the same number for 2019 and 2020. 710005842, let us know if your replacement regulator is a different part number.🙂

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

• Member ID:  495
  • Content Count:  1

@Toolboy, I feel your pain man but don't feel too bad, at least you had yours 5 months before it went out. I had mine (2020 Defender Max Limited) for 5 days (380 miles) and the voltage regulator went out along with the stator. It has been in the shop for over 3 weeks now and no official date on when I will get it back.

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  528
  • Content Count:  1

I have hardly put on 650 miles on my defender 2020 and am on my second voltage regulator... so same problem here. 

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  323
  • Content Count:  50

UPDATE:  I have put on 250 miles with my new voltage regulator and it is holding up.  I run the air wide open every day and also a 12 volt fan as supplemental.  This new voltage regulator runs at 13.8 to 13.9 volts where my old one ran at 14.4 volts.  Can Am states that this is fine when I had my dealer question them about the difference.  So far, So good.

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

13.8-13.9 is a standard charging rate... It may jump into that 14.4 range (which is still high) when your battery is near dead... The fact that your old one read 14.4 tells me it was BONKERS from the GET GO... Glad it's all working now!! You said air full blast... didn't you have AC issues? What was the fix? Has it been good since? Because the air is sounding more desirable down here in southern Oregon. 

The charging system test, is to shut off as much electrical as possible, start the engine and bring RPM up to 4000 RPM you should be reading 14.4v +/- 0.4 vdc, if you are above 14.8v replace the voltage regulator/rectifier if you are below than check the stator output. If you are checking the voltage with the AC and other accessories on than you are likely reading a loaded charging rate which could be in the 13.8 v range. The longer range view will be does the battery get charged enough to be able to start the engine when the temperatures get colder(in your case that won't be a problem because it doesn't get cold enough to reduce the CCA). There is a charging system load test which would show a maximum charge rate of 50 Amps +/- 5 Amps on the 650 watt stator. You could check your battery after a ride (and after it has sat for several hours) to see if it is in the fully charged area of 12.6 to 12.8v or slightly higher. If yes life is good.

Since you are equipped with the 850 watt stator I would expect the maximum charge rate to be about 65 Amps +/-. The maximum voltage won't change because the regulator has to protect the battery and other components from over voltage. At least you are up and running and good to hear the AC works as it should, thanks for the update.🙂