2020 Defender Limited has different Motor parts

Toolboy

• Member ID:  323
  • Content Count:  50

I have a 2020 Defender Max Limited and I did my first oil change and noticed that my motor is not the same as other HD10 models.  The air conditioning compressor is belt driven off a pully coming off the engine crank.  Just forward of this is where the oil filter should be but it isn't.  The filter is cast forward of the motor, pointing toward the cab, only a couple inches short of the cab.  It is very difficult to get to and is blocked by coolant lines.  The dipstick is also mounted rear of the motor.  So I am not sure if the entire bottom of the motor is of a different cast or just the right lower of the motor.   Either way, I only changed the oil this time and not the filter.  I looked underneath to see if a section of the skid plate could come out but it is all riveted together.  I was hoping to see how the Can Am service guide for dealers recommends doing the filter change.  I also did notice just a little oil from the crank seal at the base of the pulley drive for the air conditioner.  I will be watching that and probably have it fixed near the end of the 2 year warranty. That should allow Can Am and dealers time to come up with a fix for it if it becomes a systemic problem for the air conditioner units.  

This casting makes it appear that an Air Conditioning retrofit is not possible to older units.

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

Good information, I wasn't able to find the schematic for your A/C engine HD10 on the online parts but I suspect that you could get a 2020 Shop manual supplement which will show all the new parts for the A/C compressor, condenser, oil filter change etc. 

I agree that the retrofit is not possible for older units because I suspect your engine has a longer crank stub etc. for the A/C pulley. If someone wants the A/C the cheapest route will be to trade up?😉

• 1 year later...

• Member ID:  1,042
  • Content Count:  1

If you remove the right rear seat and back along with the center seat, there is an access  panel. Once you remove the pannel you will be able to see the oil filter housing. 

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

6 hours ago, Can-Amfleetmech said:

If you remove the right rear seat and back along with the center seat, there is an access  panel. Once you remove the pannel you will be able to see the oil filter housing. 

Fleet tech? Independent? Do we have a BRP MOLE on the forum? Lol

Welcome to the forum