OEM vs Aftermarket Accessories

ktop

• Member ID:  363
  • Content Count:  7

I just purchased a 2017 HD8 XT, looking to put a flip out windshield on it. Is the Can Am windshield worth the extra $250 over a aftermarket one?

Thank you,

• Member ID:  330
  • Content Count:  123

I think it really depends on where you drive and how you plan to use your defender.  I am a huge supporter of the can am glass flip out windshield.  I drive mostly on roads, but there is that occasional trail ride through the woods and mud so I am really grateful I have the ability to wipe off mud or take brush to the windshield without scratching it.  Even trailering it in not so ideal conditions I can get to my destination and wipe it off without worry of scratching it.  It is a little pricey on the front end, but I think it is more than worth it.  just my opinion. 

My only regret was not getting the wiper installed right away.

Thank you. I got the Can Am flip out windshield this afternoon. What do you use for turn signal kit?

I have yet to install one actually.  I’m also wondering which one is a good one. I am kind of leaning towards the XTC brand On Amazon that is plug and play and uses factory taillights, but I was told it’s not advised to introduce a foreign electronic to the factory wire harness so I’m dragging my feet a little. 

maybe someone else could chime in on the turn signal kit for the both of us. 

My local dealer had the Corbin Plug N Play kit, I installed it last night it worked and looks awesome. 

• Member ID:  242
  • Content Count:  126

Ktop - can you post a picture of your turn signal kit installed?  I’d love to see it - May do this too.

Also - did you get the horn with it?

-Mark

I don't think I've seen this kit before.  I think I might have to order this one.  I wasn't really a fan of the horn that seemed to come with almost every other plug and play kit.  Thanks for the help!

Any pointers on install?

No, I didn’t get the horn. Dealer recommended buy a “air” horn and putting in glove box to be road legal.  I like how it has a rocker switch rather than a car style turn signal handle also it used factory tail lights rather than drilling more holes. Install went pretty well just would recommend not using a 3/4 in drill bit on the fronts, maybe a little smaller. I had to silicone the rubber grommets in because were loose. Otherwise the kit came ready to go, even had the push pins in the correct locations to go into factory frame holes. 

sorry not good at taking pictures

3525CD4A-8970-4EAD-8E8A-FBFF39038B09.jpeg

78B30A01-6AF1-48D1-96CC-A9D3DA067610.jpeg

A60577CC-6E30-472B-8CF6-D7C246B2052E.jpeg

5AF885A7-87DD-4E40-A023-871B7F85019D.jpeg

Looks good to me. Thanks for the pics. Definitely going to have to get this one. Seems nice and simple

Has anyone mounted a flag yet? Been scanning the internet for pictures of options and not coming up with much 

• Member ID:  242
  • Content Count:  126

No flag or whip for me.  I will probably just mount one to the back bumper if I take it to the dunes. -Mark.  PS - great color, love the red!  I ended up with Camo and got a discount for taking it.  I love it, but apparently it’s not popular here in CO.

I just bought mine, it’s a 2017 HD8 XT with 430 miles on it. Haven’t used it much yet with the weather but excited for trail riding this summer

• Member ID:  323
  • Content Count:  50

On 3/20/2020 at 7:52 AM, ktop said:

Has anyone mounted a flag yet? Been scanning the internet for pictures of options and not coming up with much 

Sure can, go to Amazon and look in the can am defender accessories.  There you will find locking flag mount that mounts into the rear rail of the defender bed.  I just got mine and with a couple twists of the tension knob and its real tight.  It comes off in seconds to put it in the trailer.  I might buy a couple more and run dual flags or light whips. 

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  383
  • Content Count:  1

I am installing a plug & play turn signal kin on my 2020 Defender Max Lonestar. My challenge now is getting the wiring from the control box under the dash through the front firewall to the horn and front turn signals without drilling any new holes. Any ideas? 

• 2 weeks later...

On 4/1/2020 at 5:14 PM, Plowboy1 said:

I am installing a plug & play turn signal kin on my 2020 Defender Max Lonestar. My challenge now is getting the wiring from the control box under the dash through the front firewall to the horn and front turn signals without drilling any new holes. Any ideas? 

I didnt install a horn on mine. I had connects by the air cleaner and another one next to the firewall. I only had to run a wiring for the front amber lights