2020 Defender XMR Max exhaust header pipes

Garret

• Member ID:  315
  • Content Count:  7

New 2020 xmr max performs great but I'm just wondering why my exhaust header pipes glow bright red when I haven't even rode it hard.  Is this normal?

• Member ID:  298
  • Content Count:  107

Noticed the same on mine. Shot it with an IR gun and it was at 470 degrees after a short, easy ride with the engine idling.

• Member ID:  315
  • Content Count:  7

My dealer said it was normal.  Just doesn't seem right for that much heat.  Maybe for emission purposes....

• 2 months later...

• Member ID:  374
  • Content Count:  2

same here on 2020 limited...scary to see especially when you see pictures/posts of other defenders catching on fire/burning up from that area.

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

Combustion temperatures on 2 stroke and 4 stroke gas engines and diesel engines in the combustion chamber are well above 1200'F depending on load conditions. It is not uncommon to see the exhaust next to the head glow various shades of red especially at night or low light conditions. I looked up a color chart for different types of iron and this glow will start to happen at about 1000'F and keep getting lighter and brighter as the temperature goes up.

The Defender does not appear to have an EGT sensor so the engine temperature will be controlled by the ECM, the injectors, engine knock sesor, air temperature and cooling system. The ECM is programmed on the rich side to help keep exhaust temperatures in check especially at WOT.

The two stroke engines have always had a temperature concern they always ran the best just before they seized. During the carb days some of us ran Exhaust probes especially if we were running an aftermarket pipe. The Skidoo engines would not tolerate temperatures above 1200 F for more than a second or two before you burned a hole in the piston.

If you are concerned about the exhaust temperature near the engine starting a fire you shouldn't be as manufacturers typically install an aluminum heat shied to protect anything that could be flammable. On the other hand if you are driving around in deep grass, hay, or other flammable things that might accumulate on top of the engine it would be a good idea to blow that area clean after a ride with an air hose. You can get stick on foil backed insulation to put on the underside of the cab near the hot spot of concern or you can get header wrap insulation that you can wrap the pipe next to head to keep the temperature inside the exhaust system. I have not used either.🤔

• 10 months later...

• Member ID:  887
  • Content Count:  1

My daughter and I were just driving around the neighborhood and low speeds looking at all the snow.

We live in East Texas so this is something exciting for her. After about 15 - 20 minutes of riding I smelled something

burning. When I stopped and lifted the back tilt bed on our 2019 HD5 it burst into flames. Fire appears to have started

behind the drivers seat on or near the top of the engine the spreading to the read cab wall and eventually the driver seat

before I could get it extinguished.

Is this an issue Can Am / BRP is having? Low hours not even a year old.  

• Member ID:  759
  • Content Count:  107

Wow!  We have tracks on our machine and at 3500 ft, we run at 5500 rpm for hours... high range, across the frozen lakes.  
I will have to watch out for this!

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

Catching fire is unusual, have you been able to find the source? If the machine is stored out in the open it may have been a rodent storing food or building a nest? 🤔

If you are able to find the source give us an update.