Wouldnt Start this Morning.

• Member ID:  186
  • Content Count:  10

So yesterday I drove my machine around town (live in SD street legal) had the heater going ,drove to one store about 4 miles then to another place about 5 miles. When I left the second place and went to start it wouldn't turn over at first it gave a feeling of a dead battery. So I made sure heater was off and lights off and tried again it struggled but it started.  Then I drove home about 5 miles and put it in the garage its heated and then this morning same thing it wouldn't turn over. Any one else have any issues like this. My thought is to add another battery but it should work without it.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  171
  • Content Count:  55

Happed to me during the 1st ride, Battery terminals were lose. no issues since  

• Member ID:  242
  • Content Count:  126

I had a similar issue with the machine not starting after not properly “seating” into PARK.  Sometimes, it just won’t until you get out an shove your machine and hear the ‘click’.  Then it started just fine.  Another remedy was to shift to NEUTRAL - also started fine from there.   Good luck!  -Mark

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

The BRP/Canam machines are made to start in Park or Neutral, but will also start in all gear positions if you hold down the brake.

Anytime the ignition key has been left on for more than 30 minutes, turn the ignition to off before attempting to start. There is a 30 minute battery saver feature.😉

• Member ID:  186
  • Content Count:  10

On 11/1/2019 at 7:31 PM, Mark in Colorado said:

I had a similar issue with the machine not starting after not properly “seating” into PARK.  Sometimes, it just won’t until you get out an shove your machine and hear the ‘click’.  Then it started just fine.  Another remedy was to shift to NEUTRAL - also started fine from there.   Good luck!  -Mark

To me this sounded like a dead battery, Machine was in park and it kind of turned over, I do have that issue that it wont start in park and I have to hit the brake and it will start. Also when I did finally get it started and got home I put it on the charger the charger read 25%. Dealer did look at it and didn't find anything wrong. I do plan on adding a second battery, but want to make sure that everything is working properly while still under warranty.

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

You mentioned the dealer looked at it (the battery), did he test the battery to make sure its charged and can produce enough amps to the starter to turn the engine over? Loose battery terminals have already been mentioned. If the battery checks out good the next step would be to check out the amp draw at the starter, you may have a bad starter solenoid or starter?

One good battery should be all that you need, they are now 30AH instead of 20AH in the older machines. Did the dealer test the charging circuit when the engine was running you should see 14.8 volts at 4000 RPM if the charging circuit is working correctly.

If you have a voltmeter you should see 12.6volts or slightly higher when the battery is charged with no load. If you hit the starter and the battery voltage drops way down you may have a bad battery or a starter drawing too many amps. You may also have something drawing a currant when the engine is off if you find the battery voltage is lower than 12.6 volts when resting? Hope this isn't confusing the issue.

I wouldn't add a second battery until I found out what your currnt problem is as you mention in your post. Adding a second battery in parallel can double the amount of reserve you have but both batteries should be new at the time of install if not the system will only be as good as the weaker battery. You can also add a larger capacity battery like the odyssey, there is room in the battery box for this and numerous posts.🤔