Front Axle Nut

Coachgun

• Member ID:  214
  • Content Count:  297

Good evening all,

I need to remove the right front wheel of my HD8 to repair a flat and can’t figure out the size of the axle nut? I looked through the owners manual and didn’t see it anywhere.  I’d appreciate if anyone can tell me what size it is.

Thanks in advance!

CG

Andy-the nut for the studs are definitely 17mm but the axle nut is bigger.  See picture below, maybe a 24mm?21849B7B-BB20-428F-B7C4-A757A82D5192.thumb.jpeg.546696418f423e60b2a300be173aa0b3.jpeg 

• Member ID:  171
  • Content Count:  55

AHHU, just open up your socket set and find the one that fits. If you don't have a set that goes that big buy one you'll need it in the future.

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

Sorry I didn't read your whole post, just the fact that you wanted to remove your front wheel to repair the front tire in which case you remove the four 17MM nuts. The shop manual doesn't specify the size for the wheel nut so you may have to measure it with a tape, callipers etc. In the larger sizes you can get away with using an SAE wrench size which would be fairly close and not cause rounding. If you have a 15/16" open end or box end try that first if too large drop down to a 7/8" and  or put on a crescent wrench and measure the opening size with a tape. 15/16 =.9375" 24mm =.9448". Metric conversion to inches divide by 25.4 22mm=.866". Hope this helps.🤔

Great idea Andy!  Thanks for the suggestion.

Good news is I wasn't paying close enough attention to realize I didn't have to remove the axle nut to pull the wheel.  I had a brain-lapse thinking about my CRF250X having to pull the axle nut to remove the wheel!  Bad news is I called two dealers and no one in either of the parts department knew what size it is.  Hopefully, I'll never have to remove it!