• Member ID:  137
  • Content Count:  11

Looking for wisdom on this topic.  Our biggest threat is dust!  Winter or summer, everything is dusty.  Which is not to say we don't play in the water and mud...  I plan on trying to build my own setup and am looking for some input from others who have installed their own or from a kit.  Please share your experiences, good and bad.

Dust.PNG

Muddy MAX.jpg209269158_MuddyBuddy.jpg.766811ef720455ef2c9a1b9a573d4736.jpg

Edited by SilverPeakAdventure

• Member ID:  5
  • Content Count:  274

Back when I was building UTVs for extreme conditions like yours the ultimate airbox was the UMP canister. It was pretty easy to plumb and make into a snorkel system and it seemed to handle the worst dirt and dust you could throw at it.

https://www.kartek.com/parts/ump-super-air-filter-4-inlet-and-3-outlet-to-carburetor-or-throttle-body-8-diameter-canister.html

IMG_0766.thumb.JPG.da671a5ccd0459454c83bf2e0815949c.JPG

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  90
  • Content Count:  10

Make sure you seal up the stock air filter with rtv on the intake side it has been know to leak.

• Member ID:  166
  • Content Count:  171

I am also looking at putting snorkel kit on my HD10 xt. Just can’t make up my mind. The can am one I think looks the best but at around 800 bucks Canadian sure ain’t the cheapest. Looking for feedback on the highlighter and warrior kits. They are half the price of the can am ones. 

• 10 months later...

Anybody got any new feedback. Bringing back this old topic. I’m still running stock but sure do want to upgrade. 

• 4 weeks later...

• Member ID:  96
  • Content Count:  7

We live in Arizona and dust and sand is major concern for us too. Input would be greatly appreciated. 

• Member ID:  298
  • Content Count:  107

Also interested in this topic. On a side note... jimmyjames, where are ya from? Tucson here.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess anybody that planed on snorkeling there defender did it from the start with an xmr. Was thinking at least one of you fellow defender riders have put aftermarket snorkels on your rig. 
milk be the first one I guess. Got it down to two brands I think. Highlifter or sya. I’m really wondering about the cvt outlet that from the factory blows on the exhaust. Even the oem snorkel kit puts it back to the exhaust. Non of the aftermarket ones do this no not sure what probs if any would happen. I can’t see that small amount of cooling being that big of a deal. Am I wrong?  

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

2 hours ago, Hkb82 said:

I guess anybody that planed on snorkeling there defender did it from the start with an xmr. Was thinking at least one of you fellow defender riders have put aftermarket snorkels on your rig. 
milk be the first one I guess. Got it down to two brands I think. Highlifter or sya. I’m really wondering about the cvt outlet that from the factory blows on the exhaust. Even the oem snorkel kit puts it back to the exhaust. Non of the aftermarket ones do this no not sure what probs if any would happen. I can’t see that small amount of cooling being that big of a deal. Am I wrong?  

Don't quote me on this.... But as for the OEM snorkel kit "REINSTALLING" the OEM valve??? That's because its OEM.... As for the aftermarket units NOT using the valve??? Maybe because they are NOT OEM and don't feel the need... 

Just my guess though... 

• Member ID:  137
  • Content Count:  11

Based on the response from Dragoon, much earlier I have been researching alternatives.  I didn't like any of the aftermarket units and they cost quite a bit.  I will post more as I move forward, but I am primarily interested in air intake because of Dust, not so much the drive belt.

• 1 year later...

• Member ID:  1,253
  • Content Count:  1

Guys,

I have a 2021 Defender Max Lone Star. I have 6'' portals with an additional 4'' lift with 20'' FUEL rims and 33'' MotoHavoc mud tires. Stock ground clearance is 13''. with my additions of portals and lift I now have 23'' of ground clearance. I don't go in extremely deep mud. Do I need snorkels? I have read snorkels can degrade performance. I live in south Mississippi so a lot of my friends go mudding and my buddy has an XMR. I'm higher off the ground than he is. I'm fine getting them if I truly need them but wanted to check with others first. Any advice is appreciated.

Side note. I have about 15 hours on my Defender and the battery has already died. I have also read the stock battery is crap.

• Member ID:  5
  • Content Count:  274

I wouldn't think you would need snorkels unless you're going to go into water/mud up to your seat bottom. If you're going to go deeper than that repeatedly then it would probably be worth getting snorkels. You're usually safe in a stock machine to at least submerge the floorboards.

If you don’t go deep and your already sitting on a lift and portals then I think you’ll be just fine without but I’ve never herd someone say I should have never put a snorkel on it. As for your battery already crapping out at 15 hrs Id take it back unless you got a bunch of lights or other accessories running and then it could be wiring.  I’ve had the stock batt without any issues since 2019. I did add a secondary battery and an isolator when I built the overhead audio system but the stock ran all my light bars and oem accessories no probs for the first couple years. I’ve herd the stock ones were crap also but no issues here. I just always thought people were expecting to much from the oem small stock ones. 

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  1,025
  • Content Count:  3

Yep swapped my battery after the first year every now and then you could tell it was struggling especially in the cold after having to boost it a couple times that was enough now it's in the lawn mower good place for it