Upgrades

TXDefender

• Member ID:  1,695
  • Content Count:  3

Purchased my 2019 Defender XT 3 seater the end of 2019.  I've taken it to Colorado the past 2 years and I don't ride as hard of trails as I used to but I have decided I need to upgrade some things.  I want more clearance so I would like to go to 30's so I'm thinking about adding the Rough Country 2" forward A arms.  Also for sure need to upgrade the shocks so from what I'm hearing Elka is the way to go.  Also trying to figure the best way to go on a 2" or 3" lift kit.  Any suggestions?

• Member ID:  330
  • Content Count:  123

if you are just going to 30's, you shouldn't need the forward A arms. 

I'm not positive, but I think you could get about a 2" lift just by going to the Elka shocks and stiffening them up... if you don't go with new shocks, the spring spacers or "pucks" for the stock shocks is what I did on mine and it raised it about 3".  I think the ride is a little more stiff by going this way, but it was more important, for me, to have more ground clearance.  If it was in the budget I would definitely go with the Elka shocks though.  I've never had them, but I've heard a few times on here how great they are.

Good luck.  Welcome to the forum.

• Member ID:  1,660
  • Content Count:  146

as ross said, the elka shocks will lift it depending how you set them up and which model you get.  Jake moorhead has great arms if you end up wanting to get forward arms, they are the preferred arm for most on facebook. 

https://moorheadoffroadengineering.com/products/can-am-defender-pro-a-arms

steve

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

Check out the builds section there is some good info on larger tires, spring settings etc.🙂

11 hours ago, RossO said:

if you are just going to 30's, you shouldn't need the forward A arms. 

I'm not positive, but I think you could get about a 2" lift just by going to the Elka shocks and stiffening them up... if you don't go with new shocks, the spring spacers or "pucks" for the stock shocks is what I did on mine and it raised it about 3".  I think the ride is a little more stiff by going this way, but it was more important, for me, to have more ground clearance.  If it was in the budget I would definitely go with the Elka shocks though.  I've never had them, but I've heard a few times on here how great they are.

Good luck.  Welcome to the forum.

Thanks!  I really appreciate the input.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, honda400ex2003 said:

as ross said, the elka shocks will lift it depending how you set them up and which model you get.  Jake moorhead has great arms if you end up wanting to get forward arms, they are the preferred arm for most on facebook. 

https://moorheadoffroadengineering.com/products/can-am-defender-pro-a-arms

steve

Great - thx

• Member ID:  338
  • Content Count:  265

2019 XT model you would only need S3 springs and you can clear 30" no problem at all. Avoid puck spacers, can make the ride worse. S3 springs use a different spring rate and don't sag like OEM springs, but don't harden up the ride as bad as puck spacers do. Plus cheaper option ($400ish) vs. Elkas or ZBros ($1500+), though if you want the best ride, might what to look into them.