OEM Winch Stopped Working - Bad Solenoid?

American1776

Question

• Member ID:  1,522
  • Content Count:  2

While using the plow this winter, the winch (Terra 45) would occasionally not retract when using the dashboard switch. The issue progressed and now the winch no longer receives power.

I suspect it is a bad solenoid. I can’t get it to click, and when I connect the blue and yellow studs (that go to the winch) to my multimeter, it reads 0 Ohms of resistance. Same result when testing the studs on the winch. Are those the right points to test? Would that mean the solenoid has a short?

This is probably a stupid question, but if the solenoid is shorted, wouldn’t that mean the winch would be receiving constant power?

I attached a picture of the wiring in case anyone notices something. The solenoid is receiving 12v from the red and black copper bars. Also, I noticed that the yellow and (unmarked) blue wires that lead to the winch are switched. I’m guessing that just flips the in/out switch function.

Thanks for the help.

3574E5A0-18AF-4CEB-8A9A-FAA21CF71244.jpeg

22E23AAD-17AA-4F0E-8A68-397DFFA8F882.jpeg

3 answers to this question

• Member ID:  330
  • Content Count:  123

It sounds like either the switch could be bad or the coil in the solenoid is bad.  You could test the switch by checking the terminals on the solenoid that come from the switch to make sure they have 12v when the switch is pressed.  The coil in the solenoid is basically just a magnet.  When the switch is pressed it activates the magnet, sucks it tight to the contacts within the solenoid and closes the circuit that feeds the winch from the battery.  This can go bad and not be "shorted shut".  

I am by no means a professional when it comes to side by sides and winches haha.  This is just what makes sense in my head.  Hopefully this was more helpful than confusing.  Good luck.

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

Do you have a remote cord that you can plug in the front (under the front panel on the hood or near the winch) if yes plug it in and see if the winch is back to normal. If yes than you should check your dash switch first, pop it out and check for continuity from the center tab to the top or bottom depending where the switch is for retracting the winch. No continuity replace the switch. Here is a diagram from the shop manual, good luck.🙂20220401_083609.thumb.jpg.e6d22a76a52bede7436c808317cde15d.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  1,522
  • Content Count:  2

Thanks to both of you. I figured it out. That shop manual diagram was tremendously helpful.

I tried connecting 12v power directly to the small black and blue/green spade connectors and the winch moved as it should. From the diagram, I figured out that goes to fuse 12 underneath the hood. I replaced that and most everything works great now.

The dash switch is still struggling to retract, but works fine when I jump the 12v in wire to the greenish blue wire. Switch is just bad. (Seems like a common issue with OEM Can Am switches.)

Thanks again for the help.

• Like 1