New guy from MN with fuse issue

dvstevej

• Member ID:  1,477
  • Content Count:  1

First want to say how impressed I am with this forum site.  I stumbled onto it about 2 hours ago.  Lots of great info.  Really impressed and thankful to guys like Andystoy19 and many others.  You guys are awesome.  thanks for donating your time and helping us out.

I have 2021 Defender XT HD10.  Love it.  Recently after adding doors, I bought one of those $20 cigarette lighter plug in heaters, (harbor freight, or O'Reillys).  Says 300 watt on back.  It only heats for about a minute, then blows fuse.  I've located the 10 amp fuse and replaced it, (couple times).  I assume it draws too much power and now have to determine a fix. I am not very impressed at the heat output anyway, so will be getting something different.  Any recommendations?  Also wondering if next heater should be wired direct to battery, and/or maybe even upgrading battery.   (not ready for heater that ties into engine cooling system).

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

300 watts/12 volts=25 Amps. If you want to use that heater you will need to wire it direct to the battery with the right guage of wire and a separate fuse. At least than you will not affect any of the other electrical components.🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

To follow up the fuses are located under the hood and on the underside of the cover is a list of fuses and the sizes. F12 or F14 would provide power to the 12 volt outlet(s) and in my book they are both shown as 20 Amp fuses. Always replace the fuse with the right size do not upsize as that may cause the wiring to overheat etc.

My recommendation for the seperate wire and fuse still stands as you don't know if there are other loads on the F12 or F14 and they are too small for your load.🙂

• Like 1

• Member ID:  338
  • Content Count:  265

Short of actually putting in the OEM heater, which is the best option (though spendy and labor intensive), I've read about people using the small mr buddy heaters.

12v Electric heaters are very inefficient and will most certainly blow fuses and pull way too much power for the charging system on these things. 

• Member ID:  330
  • Content Count:  123

This is what I did until I can install an actual heater.  And honestly, its kind of nice.  It heats even when the machine isn't running so it's nice and warm when I get back into it after letting it sit for a bit.  Might leave this set up in it even after I install an actual heater.

IMG_4141.jpg

• Like 1