2019 Defender front diff problems

Hutch2022

Question

• Member ID:  1,417
  • Content Count:  10

I am having issues with my front differential on my 19 defender HD10.  I had a leaking seal and what I thought was a bad right axle. Turns out my axle inner cv did need to be replaced but it has also worn my differential as well.  This is the main gear housing that the right axle fits into. Now even with the new right axle fully installed there is alot of play. Ill try to attach a video to show it.  Is this tolerance and movement enough that the gear carrier needs to be replaced? I am hoping not since it's a $1000 part to replace. I've also looked into pin locker, halo, torq, locker etc but none of them replace the gear carrier that I have the issues with....just for reference the measurement on the axle for the this fit is right at 22 mm. The gear housing fit is worn out to 25 mm so you can see why it has so much movement.  I'm afraid if I go back with it as is it will at a minimum wear the seal out immediately or cause more damage. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

20220129_164948.jpg

10 answers to this question

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

I don't have the answer for you and I agree that you probably have to replace the carrier, see if there are any used parts available where someone has wrecked or changed out the front diff. I went to the Halo pin locker and really like how it works compared to the visco lok. 🙂

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Andystoy19 said:

I don't have the answer for you and I agree that you probably have to replace the carrier, see if there are any used parts available where someone has wrecked or changed out the front diff. I went to the Halo pin locker and really like how it works compared to the visco lok. 🙂

Thanks....thats what I'm afraid of is that I'm gonna have to replace it.  I am gonna check to see if I can carry it to a machine shop to get welded and turned back downwhich I figure would be cheaper than $1000....but who knows.

Any ideas where I could find a used one?

• Member ID:  338
  • Content Count:  265

Does it have the same amount of slop going into the other side of the carrier? 

Not sure how it would wear out as those surfaces do not 'run' on each other. They are held static during rotation, only wear would be in and out movement.

The other side does not have any play at all. The inner circlip on this side was missing so it probably allowed alot more movement on the right side than the left. 

I dropped it off at a machine shop and they're going to bore it out and put a bushing in. I'll try to post a video when I get it back. Hopefully takes care of it.

• Member ID:  541
  • Content Count:  20

Dealer put a complete new front differential in my 2019 defender HD 10 XT cab. It was getting progressively noisy when turning but more so in 4x4. My advise is to bring to dealer right away, or make them aware asap. Mine was just about to go off of warranty. This is a very common issue and I'm glad this forum put me onto it. I have 9000 km on mine and use tracks on it while on my trap line up north in Ontario.

Quick update on my front diff.  I got a sleeve put in the main gear carrier as I mentioned above. I went ahead and replaced the bearings in the diff as well when I put it back together.  Now ever since I have lots of gear noise...popping...that seems to be coming from the differential now. 

Any idea what can be causing that? Sounds like a common problem with these front differentials. Could it just be a clearance issue or backlash setting on the pinion?

I'm really considering sending it to someone to rebuild or put a locker in it . If you have any suggestions I would appreciate it!

You have to set the back lash with shims, you may have to purchase from the dealer🙂.

If you need the procedure to adjust the back lash I can post it tomorrow🙂.

• Thanks 1

If you could post that procedure for adjusting the backlash I would appreciate it.  I only had one shim in the diff when I took it apart.  If I need more would I have to get from a canam dealer or could I find them somewhere else?

The shims can be bought in different thickness so I suggest you buy a couple to save a trip.🙂20220420_074054.thumb.jpg.cb6ef31565fc225536b5699543a20930.jpg