Light Bar Install - HELP

lanigka

• Member ID:  1,276
  • Content Count:  1

Hi, all. New to the forum. Thanks for having me.

I just received a new Defender Max and have installed the light bar using the below light bar and wiring harness. Ran the wiring through cage to the under hood bus bar fine. For the switch on the harness, I attempted to use the group of wires that are prewired through the firewall that come out under the dash. Once on power, it started to smoke at the new connection. Any insight? Would it be from the harness wire gauge is too large for the prewire? Thanks in advance for any help or insight!

Lighter - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0762N81PN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1

Wiring Harness - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074GYNJ85/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Member ID:  166
  • Content Count:  171

I’d run a second aux fuse bar for additions or mods requiring power like that. Much safer way to go plus no cutting or splicing  with factory harnesses. I try and keep everything isolated when I can. Hard to really say without knowing what group of wires your talking about. If your trying to find ignition power the 12v lighter socket is a good place but not sure about using it with a 52” bar.

If that wire kit is heavy enough  for that lights bar then the factory power bar should have no issues with it smoking. 

• 4 weeks later...

• Member ID:  1,327
  • Content Count:  1

what bracket did you use to mount the light bar itself.  I have a 50" light but no bracket .... yet

Havent got to the wiring stage yet 

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

Welcome to the forum, from the link you provided for the light it says that it is 783W/12=65.25 amps.

The older 2019 and previous Defenders and some later versions had a 650 Watt charging system which means your light is too big (pulls too much amperage) for this charging system. Even if you have the newer charging system at 850 watts you will be using more amps than are available after you power the fuel pump, ignition and whatever other accessories you have on at the time. This will result in the light using reserve power from your battery as soon as you turn it on. The charging system doesn't reach full output until 4000 RPM, so at any RPM below that you will have serious battery drain.

If you decide to continue the install anyway you will probably have to install a much larger battery or a second battery and hope that the reserve is enough so that the lights don't go out at night and you can recharge the battery sufficiently when the lights are off.

The only place that I would consider (IMO) hooking that light up is at the battery and that is providing that the wiring is rated to carry 65/70 Amps, (heavy enough guage wire you can look this up or maybe its shown in your wiring directions). Did you have a fuse in the wiring when you tried it if yes what size was it?

There may be additional information in the build section that will be helpful? Good luck with the install.🙂FWIW.